Bryston 28BSST-2 or 7BSST-2 with Conrad-Johnson ET5/GAT preamps ? ...

OgOgilby

I received the 14B SST2 (C-Series) earlier this week and it works great with our CJ Premier 18LS preamp  :thumb:

The 14B was replacing a Parasound Halo A21, so I was hoping for a decent upgrade to the audio quality, but was nervous about the decision. Would I hear a noticeable difference (some people say all that amps sound the same)? Would it work well with my setup? Would 900 watts be too much power since my speakers are 4 ohms? Would the amp be too bright? Would my wife kill me for spending so much on an amp if she couldn't hear any difference from our previous amp?

Well, the 14B SST2 is a wonderful amp that easily exceeded my expectations! It probably isn't fair comparing the 14B to the Parasound A21, but the A21 is the amp that I can best compare the 14B to, having lived with the A21 for the last two years. The Parasound is a great amp for the price.

The 14B is smoother, has less grain and more accurate timbre than the A21. The Bryston doesn't appear to emphasize any frequencies. The A21's upper mid-range was forward in my setup, and the lower mid-range seemed slightly recessed. There is more weight and impact with the 14B than what I am used to with the A21. The 14B is not bright - it is neutral and very musical. When playing complex music the A21 struggled at moderate and higher volumes, while the 14B doesn't appear to struggle with complex music at any volume.

The "too much power issue" isn't an issue at all. I have the 14B set to 2V and that setting works very well with the CJ preamp. In fact, at low volumes the Bryston is quieter than the Parasound was at it's recommended gain setting. Listening to music at low volume sounds pretty good with the 14B (can't say that about the A21) and the Bryston “last Watt sounding as good as the first Watt” appears to hold true.

What is really nice with the Bryston is that there is no audible distortion at any volume and I can't detect any awkward transition from class A to AB. I get the feeling the 14B isn't working hard at all (it probably isn't). With the 14B in our setup it actually seems like there isn't an amp in the mix - adjusting the volume on the CJ controls the music's volume seamlessly and you don't notice what the amp is doing at all. It's all about the music.

-Greg

Edit - thankfully my wife can hear the difference!
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2011, 01:33 pm by OgOgilby »

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
Greg,

That is awesome to read. I am glad you are happy and I am sure it will even sound better as she breaks in. I had the opportunity to listen to a 4BSST2 yesterday and I was floored how good it sounded. I heard both a tube and solid state preamp through it and could easily tell the difference. These new Bryston squared amps are superb.

Joe

1oldguy

Greg,

That is awesome to read. I am glad you are happy and I am sure it will even sound better as she breaks in. I had the opportunity to listen to a 4BSST2 yesterday and I was floored how good it sounded. I heard both a tube and solid state preamp through it and could easily tell the difference. These new Bryston squared amps are superb.

Joe

I'll drink to that......

OgOgilby

Greg,

Joe

Thanks Joe. Have you decided on an amp and preamp yet?

-Greg

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
Thanks Joe. Have you decided on an amp and preamp yet?

-Greg

Hi Greg,

I sold my Conrad Johnson ET5 with the intention of getting the CJ GAT preamp. I feel the pressure to get the GAT first because it is a limited run. I really want, but don't need the 28BSST2's. If I get the GAT, it will take me a while to get the amps. The 7BSST2's will be way more than I need but can't help but think the 28's might be a little bit better. I was impressed enough with the 4BSST2 to even consider the new Brystons. They apparently have come a very long way from what I remember as the Bryston sound. I think all the recent praise is well justified and I like the solid warranty and loyal following  :thumb: .

Joe

OgOgilby

Wow, the C-J GAT and 28B's would be an awesome combo  :thumb:

-Greg

PRELUDE

I received the 14B SST2 (C-Series) earlier this week and it works great with our CJ Premier 18LS preamp  :thumb:

The 14B was replacing a Parasound Halo A21, so I was hoping for a decent upgrade to the audio quality, but was nervous about the decision. Would I hear a noticeable difference (some people say all that amps sound the same)? Would it work well with my setup? Would 900 watts be too much power since my speakers are 4 ohms? Would the amp be too bright? Would my wife kill me for spending so much on an amp if she couldn't hear any difference from our previous amp?

Well, the 14B SST2 is a wonderful amp that easily exceeded my expectations! It probably isn't fair comparing the 14B to the Parasound A21, but the A21 is the amp that I can best compare the 14B to, having lived with the A21 for the last two years. The Parasound is a great amp for the price.

The 14B is smoother, has less grain and more accurate timbre than the A21. The Bryston doesn't appear to emphasize any frequencies. The A21's upper mid-range was forward in my setup, and the lower mid-range seemed slightly recessed. There is more weight and impact with the 14B than what I am used to with the A21. The 14B is not bright - it is neutral and very musical. When playing complex music the A21 struggled at moderate and higher volumes, while the 14B doesn't appear to struggle with complex music at any volume.

The "too much power issue" isn't an issue at all. I have the 14B set to 2V and that setting works very well with the CJ preamp. In fact, at low volumes the Bryston is quieter than the Parasound was at it's recommended gain setting. Listening to music at low volume sounds pretty good with the 14B (can't say that about the A21) and the Bryston “last Watt sounding as good as the first Watt” appears to hold true.

What is really nice with the Bryston is that there is no audible distortion at any volume and I can't detect any awkward transition from class A to AB. I get the feeling the 14B isn't working hard at all (it probably isn't). With the 14B in our setup it actually seems like there isn't an amp in the mix - adjusting the volume on the CJ controls the music's volume seamlessly and you don't notice what the amp is doing at all. It's all about the music.

-Greg

Edit - thankfully my wife can hear the difference!
Good for you and I bet you will enjoy it for a long time.I have been a happy user with sonic frontiers line 2 for a long time now. :thumb:

tdinut

• Audioshark Forum
Wow, the C-J GAT and 28B's would be an awesome combo  :thumb:

-Greg

Hi Greg,

That's exactly what I'm thinking  :D    I play music a lot and my stereo is on 8-12 hours a day, so the Bryston amps with the tube preamp (only two 6922's) should be a winner. Tube warmth and dimension with powerful, smooth delivery.

Joe

bjski

My first preamp with a 4b was a Tanberg in 1985 next was an RGR several years later. When I purchased my 4bST I used ARC followed by a Bat VK5i. I now use a Bat 32SE with the 7BSST/2. I don't think you could lose solid state or tube with the new SST2 series.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -

Hi Greg,

That's exactly what I'm thinking  :D    I play music a lot and my stereo is on 8-12 hours a day, so the Bryston amps with the tube preamp (only two 6922's) should be a winner. Tube warmth and dimension with powerful, smooth delivery.

Joe

That is the ticket if you can swing it, oh my !!!.

charles
SMA
That is

That is