New Soundcard .... oh my!

dlaloum

New Soundcard .... oh my!
« on: 27 Nov 2011, 12:13 pm »
I frequently listen to music while doing stuff in my office.

I use MediaMonkey to manage the library, and use DirectSound SSRC as the output  plugin resampling to 96/24 for output. - This then feeds through the analogue outputs to my Firestone Cute Curve HP amp and then to one of my headphones (whichever I am in the mood for at the time - right now it is Koss Pro4x)

My main system is in the lounge room, so initially I was just using the onboard motherboard sound.....

Then I moved my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 to the office PC (having upgraded the lounge room media PC...) - hmmm still unsatisfying.

I use the e-MU 1616m in the lounge room, and noted that it was much more transparent than my previous Maudio 2496, so when I was offered a lightly used 1212m I took the opportunity... same underlying core as the 1616m in an inboard internal PCI unit.

Plug it in, install the drivers etc.... start it playing and....  :thumb: - ahhhhhh!

That's more like it!

I have the 1212m running at 24/96, and SSRC feeding it directly for HD audio and resampled for 16/44 - the difference was NOT minor.

So I thought I would briefly rave about it on here....

The MAudio 2496 is well regarded, and I am not sure whether the sonic boredom was due to driver issues, or something else - but it was (relatively.... all is relative!) veiled, lacking in dynamics.... just not quite "Alive"

The eMu 1212m PCI (which is now quite a vintage card really!) is a substantial, audible and enjoyable step up.

bye for now

David