Kismet phono preamp

kalel

Kismet phono preamp
« on: 27 Nov 2011, 02:33 am »
I received the Kismet phono preamp a few days ago.  I have had very little time to listen to it at all, but I wanted to at least post something that might prove to be helpful for some.

First of all, nothing that I had done prior to listening was audiophile in any way.  In fact, the alignment of the stars seemed to be working against me.  In fact, I was working against me.  This is how I had things set up.

1)   Cables from the Kismet to the main preamp are the kind you get when you buy a
        VCR.
2)   Cables from the turntable to the Kismet are only slightly better.  They came with
        my Adcom amp 20 years ago.
3)   Due to its height, my rack could not accommodate the Kismet.  So, I have it
        sitting on an old record cabinet.
4)   The record cabinet is now partially blocking my left speaker.
5)   The Kismet was cold out of the box with zero break-in. 
6)   I had to keep the volume down more than usual due to my wife being awake on   
        the floor above me.
7)   I was unprepared regarding record cleaning, as well.  I just used the Audioquest
        brush.

I just wanted to set the scene.  As you can see, it isn't like I had an ideal set-up.  I put on side 2 of  Supertramp’s Crime of the Century, my first ever MFSL 1/2 speed master.  Well, I have to say that what came out of the speakers was amazingly awesome.  The song "Rudy", one that I know very well and have heard a multitude of times, sounded great.  I kept hearing one new thing after the next.  Revelatory and eye- (ear) opening would be good words to describe what I experienced.  There was intonation that was different.  There was bass that I didn’t expect to hear in some parts.  I heard nuances that were new to me.  I heard parts that I had never heard before.  I heard instruments have a more precise quality of sound, if that makes sense.  More real and more accurate sounding may be a better way to put it.

I hope to get more time this next week listening to more music.  I will be working on improving the set-up including getting a record cleaning machine and I will be replacing the cables with Groneberg cables per whatever Klaus recommends.  BTW, it looks like the stereo Kismet in the link.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72270.msg676654#msg676654

I hope that this is useful for someone. 

stereo5

• Current System
Re: Kismet phono preamp
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2011, 08:06 pm »
I am interested in this phono preamp, any chance you can post a few pictures of it?

kalel

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2011, 07:05 pm »
Sorry for the delay.  I have not listened to the Kismet since the one time above.  I am in the process of moving equipment around plus I loaned out my preamp.  I hope that these two pics work for you.

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2011, 08:48 pm »
Nice looking preamp, could you take off the top cover and take a pic or two of the insides?

Bob

kalel

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2011, 10:57 pm »
Yes, and I promise not to take so long getting back to you this time.  :)

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2011, 01:41 am »
Great!! I look forward to seeing them.

Bob

kalel

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2011, 01:20 pm »
I hope this is okay for you.  Enjoy whatever holiday you celebrate!!

kalel

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2011, 01:22 pm »
I forgot to add that if you are anywhere near the Washington/Baltimore area you are welcome to take it for a test drive. 

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2011, 01:36 pm »
Thanks for the inside pics. Are all the tubes 12AX7's?

kalel

« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2011, 03:01 pm »
Let me check with Alex or Klaus to be sure, and I will get back to you.

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2011, 03:26 pm »
Let me check with Alex or Klaus to be sure, and I will get back to you.
Thanks for all the info and pics and impressions. I talked to Klaus a few weeks ago about tubes and topology and he wasn't sure either. He said he needed to talk to AlexG.

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2011, 03:44 pm »
The product description and specs has not been uploaded to the website yet. Most likely soon after the holidays. The tubes used in the Kismet phono are a combination of 12AU7/ECC82 pair for the first stage and 12AX7/ECC83 pair for the second stage.

Happy holidays!

Alex

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2011, 03:56 pm »
I hope this is okay for you.  Enjoy whatever holiday you celebrate!!

Thank you very much.  I am very interested now!

Bob

kalel

« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2011, 04:02 pm »
Once I get my other preamp back, I will be able to start listening again.  I loaned it out.  I run the Kismet through the Aux input of that preamp, then to my amp.  I hope to post more about what I think I'm hearing at that time.  I am not very good at conveying my impressions a la the various magazine and website writers.  I just know what I hear.

lazydays

« Reply #14 on: 25 Dec 2011, 06:14 pm »
looking at the photos, I see instantly that this is not the phono stage I was thinking of. There is another, and that's the one I'm interested in.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2011, 06:17 pm »
The product description and specs has not been uploaded to the website yet. Most likely soon after the holidays. The tubes used in the Kismet phono are a combination of 12AU7/ECC82 pair for the first stage and 12AX7/ECC83 pair for the second stage.

Happy holidays!

Alex

what happened to the one we talked about? Still want two inputs and the better power supply
gary

kalel

« Reply #16 on: 26 Dec 2011, 07:06 pm »
Gary, it appears to me that there are two inputs.  I do recall Klaus talking to me about an external power supply at some point.  Hopefully, Alex or Klaus will clarify in an upcoming post.

lazydays

« Reply #17 on: 27 Dec 2011, 07:43 pm »
Gary, it appears to me that there are two inputs.  I do recall Klaus talking to me about an external power supply at some point.  Hopefully, Alex or Klaus will clarify in an upcoming post.

I don't want to buy another phostage with a 110 volt power supply again. I also want a minimum of two inputs, and would like three inputs with switching on the front face plate. Another thing I'd like to see is for somebody to do external adjustments that can be changed on the fly (loading etc.). I personally don't care if it's tubed or solid state these days, but would prefer a tubed output. I've looked at three or four units in that price bracket, and found one that will do the changes on the fly, but only one input (bummer).

What I want to see from somebody:
* two or three inputs with one input being a true mono channel
* all adjustments done from the front panel
* absolutly no AC current inside the box!
       ++++++++++++++++++++
but if we must have an AC power supply box, I think it would be nice to have a variable output motor controll unit built right into it (be very easy to do) That way you could controll all your analog out of one box, and have the basic preamp seperate from all the junk AC puts out. Been saying it for years that AC house current is the down fall of LP play back
gary

djbnh

« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2011, 11:02 am »
I don't want to buy another phostage with a 110 volt power supply again... Another thing I'd like to see is for somebody to do external adjustments that can be changed on the fly (loading etc.). I personally don't care if it's tubed or solid state these days, but would prefer a tubed output...
gary
Having DC power seems doable; there are existing units that handle this. And I understand how DC has distinct advantages for audio (read the Optocoupler, Red Wine, other threads).

Regarding having external adjustments - I think there are feasible designs that may as well require an increase in price. The popular DIN switches inside a phono stage case make sense for those using only one cartridge, albeit it's still problematic going into the case to make changes until finally dialing in the unit for that one cart. There is a design that has a slide-off top piece that offers some easier access for those making loading / impedance changes. However, your situation seems to require more flexibility that may lead to more cost.

Regarding tubes v. SS - whatever sounds better.

And what about having both single ended and balanced inputs and outputs? Again, more cost.

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 31 Dec 2011, 06:32 pm »
It is important to clarify a few things here...there is no "other" Kismet Phono stage.

A little history, when this project started over two years ago we asked a selected group of customers for their feedback on a new phono stage. We already new what we wanted as a starter point. We received a number of comments and good suggestions - most of them already were in the initial design. We had a price point in mind and wanted not to deviate from in order to be competitive, diferent, and most important, remain in line with the Odyssey history of quality and value that we have been known for many years.
The project took longer than expected and went through a few changes in topology prior to any production and shipment.

The final unit was shown at the past RMAF in Denver.

Those customers that provided initial input must understand that not all the suggestions given where going to be included in the design. If we did, we would ended up with a unit costing much more of the price point we wanted to be.
Well, the Kismet Phono is here and shipping. Initial feedback from customers who currently have the unit has been incredible.  :thumb:

We will update the website soon with complete specifications. We will also include here in AC a "summary sheet" showing the same so there is no more confusion.

All the best and happy new year to everyone. Thank you.

Alex