I'm spending entirely too much time in this AkSa forum!

gonefishin

First off, let me say hello.  While I haven't gone thru the entire 18 pages of threads posted in this forum, I have read thru a good number of them.  I plan to continue my reading as time (and the baby) permit ;)

Since I'm looking to you for advice.  Let me tell you a bit about myself.  

Well, I'll get right to it.  While I'm not opposed to SS, I do like enjoy tube amps.  When working within their limitations they can (and do) deliver some very good, clean, detailed sound with a soundstage width and depth that I find SS struggles to provide.

To me, many SS amps...even many high dollar ones are very flat with their presentation.  Even if they have nice width...and good dynamics...it's as tho the dynamics are coming from near the same plane.

Detail and clarity of a nice tube amp (such as a nice 45) is just so clean and quiet sounding.  It gives you the music with such delicacy, but also (speakers willing) it can still hit the attack and dynamics needed to portray a realism of brass or percussive instruments.

I've heard many times the same thing said over and over, about tubes adding colorations and distortion to give a pleasing response.  If you ask me...people should be more worried about distortion in speakers rather than a tube amp working within it's intended power range.  But I also think that's one of the keys with tube amps.  Running them in an area before either undue power requirements are put on the amp (to reach clipping) or if you approach the power limitations of the amp where the distortion levels are at their highest.  I also don't buy when people talk about the soft clipping of tubes amps being pleasing...which is why many of us prefer tube amps.  If your approaching clipping or clipping the amp, then you need either new (more efficient) speakers, a new (more powerful) amp or you need to turn the music down.  

With all that said...you may be asking... why the heck am I here?  This is a SS forum!

The only reason I posted the above information is to try and give an idea of...where I'm coming from.  I wish I knew all the real answers to why I like what I like.  But I'm not an amplifier designer...perhaps someone who is would have a better grasp of "what I like" in an electrical sense.

So, again.  Why am I here?

Because I believe good sound can be achieved by using both SS or tubes.  

Right now, I will be looking to replace the amps in my bi-amped system.  I'm open to SS and tubes both.  I would like a DIY approach...but if it's a SS amp.  I would like to stick to a proven kit design.  
   If it's a tube amp...I would like to stick to a proven schematic and circuit design.    I don't mind playing around a little with the components...but I really don't have the money or time to do these things two three or four times.  Tho I could also read and apply a schematic.  I would stop my skills there.  I have no business trying to pretend to be a circuit designer.  (but I obviously don't mind playing around...I just know my limitations!)

I'd love to hear your suggestions.  (if you need any clarification of the garbled message above...please, just ask.)

I also have a few questions about running the AKSA 55 with the lower rail voltage.

Do you have any opinion about using battery power for this?  

I've already started a +24/-24 battery power supply for a gainclone project...this power supply will use four 12V 7.2ah gel batteries (two on each side) and will be complete with smart chargers.

thanks,

dan

Carlman

« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2004, 07:47 pm »
I like the way tube amps sound, specifically Magnum 100w mono's.  They are just great!  I have found that most solid state amps can get the magic of tubes by adding a good tube preamp and/or source.  It just gets warmer and more natural to my ears... however, the 'tubey-er' it gets, the impact and dynamics starts to go down a bit... again, to my ears.

I have the AKSA 100w w/ Nirvana.  It doesn't sound overly tubey or overly solid state.  It does have a sound and the best way I can describe it is fast or 'ready'.  Most people that hear it say, wow, that's a high-current amp you've got there... I don't know what they hear to make that comment but I'm stating it to give as much input about its character as I can.

So, if you like tube amplification, you may like the AKSA or you may not.  I do recommend (for you) some tubes earlier in the chain to give some warmth or tube magic, though.  I've tried an all-SS path from CD to pre to amp and it sounded surprisingly good.  However, I don't know if a tube-type listener can make that kind of change.

If you live anywhere near NC, you could hear my AKSA.  If not you may want to try to find someone nearby to give it a listen.

I think you're more than competent to build it.  I don't think you should attempt to change the plans yourself, though... At least not initially.  If you build it as planned, you can then decide whether your changes are improvements or not.  Be sure to get the 'plus' version as well.  From what I understand it adds a level of refinement.  

I wish I could experience such pleasures... the 100 w plus isn't available yet. :(

Best of luck,
Carl

gonefishin

« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2004, 09:21 pm »
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the suggestions!  

I'm really not after a tubey sound tho  :?   When listening to a number of commercial made and DIY made tube amps...I've had the experience that you can choose to color (or de color) depending on tube selection.  Some of the most touted 6sl7's are also some of the most colored sounding I've heard.  These premium 6sl7's also displayed these same characteristics in varying output tubes to varying amps to varying circuits.  I'm talking colored to the point where a clap of someones hands don't resemble what you and I know this to sound like.  Now...take that a stretch further and play a trumpet, sax, female voice...whatever...and it gets rather...well...I suppose what some may call euphonic.  I just don't think "tube" is what I'm after...although I think SS or tubes may be able to provide whatever it is that I'm after.

What I like about tube amps is not a tubey sound at all.  In fact, I try to get rid of this if I can.  What I do like is the way many tube amps give you a cleaner, softer, more delicate sound in a wider deeper stage.  I actually think good imaging and the ability to produce a deep soundstage is what lets tube amps do better at micro and micro dynamics and also detail and perceived "blackness".  (tho I'm not sure)

Now don't get me wrong...I know SS can get dynamics and precise imaging...but SS seems many times to fall short at depth.  This is the area where I think... may give me a perceived difference of more clarity, better detail, cleaner quieter sound.

To me (at least I'm thinking) that  this sounds very similar.  If you listen to a system that gives a precise image of each instrument left to right...with good seperation...and a wide soundfield (from left speaker to right).  You end up with sounds (or instruments) that sound not only separate from one another...but distinct and accurate as well.  (sorry for the crude explanation...but I'm not sure how else to describe what I hear)  When a system does these things well, each individual sound (or instrument) actually sounds more real and cleaner.  

Now, add onto the above the same thing but for depth in addition to width...and this is where it seems tube amps may give a more "real" and "cleaner" sound.  Because of the left to right front to back separation while maintaining good imaging.  

If a tube amplifier is working within (and below) it's limitations...I really think the distortion issues are minor compared to the distortion values in many "good" speakers today.

I have had and still have a couple tubed preamps...but they really don't compare to the Bent NOH.  I also haven't been all that impressed with tubed CD players...although you are correct.  I probably should give some a try...as I've never had  a tubed CD player in MY system.  Currently I'm waiting for an APL modded 563a...so we'll see how that goes  :wink:

again...thanks for the suggestions...and please don't think I'm just writing this to disagree with you...that's not the case.  I just think your suggestions wouldn't do a bit of good If I'm not totally honest.  If you have more to suggest...I'd like to hear it.

Carlman

« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2004, 09:51 pm »
I've never heard the NOH but, the combination of preamp and amp are very important in getting the imaging and micro dynamics tuned to your ear.  I've 'rolled' preamps recently and ended up liking 2 preamps: Eastern Electric Minimax, which is purely a tube vehicle.  It has no sound of its own.  The, a Philly 7a, with a particular set of tubes.. It has its own personality but imparts all that is good into the sound.  It's a little more lush or tubey but maintains accuracy.  Either of these are a great match for a musical combination.  One other option is an IRD Purist, a solid state pre.  If you like absolute neutrality, the Purist and AKSA provide it.  There is no color.  I could actually hear the personality of my cd player!  That was a first.  

I'm sure there's plenty of good or great combos out there, including the GK-1.  I wanted to try this one but couldn't afford it or the time to build it.

As to sources, I too have a modified Pioneer on order with APL but I am cancelling it due to a funding issue... (too much gear too fast ;) )  Also, I'm thinking of waiting until Alex makes a tube modification for it.  I'd love to compare those 2 players.  I think that would be a great gathering for our local club and that day may materialize.  We'll see.

If I understand your ear, you're going for accurate micro details seamlessly paced with excellent soundstage recreation. hmmmm... not far from my own goal.  I haven't heard the plus upgrade yet but from what I understand, has a higher level of refinement.  Which to me means more neutral, better control, less personality imparted from the gear.  If that's the case, the AKSA may be your answer.

When I read your post, I was assuming you've compared the depth of the tube vs. SS amps in the same room.  If so, that defeats what I was going to tell you about soundstage/imaging... that it's generally case of the room treatments.  Or at least, that's what I've found.  Bigger rooms with even simple room treatments do EVERYthing better than smaller rooms regardless of treatment.

Inserting caveat... Don't forget you are at the whims of your ear/brain connection.  What is musical to you is possibly/probably different than mine... and can sometimes change... especially as you get older.

Good luck.

-Carl

gonefishin

« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2004, 11:58 pm »
If I understand your ear, you're going for accurate micro details seamlessly paced with excellent soundstage recreation. hmmmm... not far from my own goal. I haven't heard the plus upgrade yet but from what I understand, has a higher level of refinement. Which to me means more neutral, better control, less personality imparted from the gear.

that's basically it in a nut shell.  Dynamics and low distortion are also priorities for me too.  As you may be able to tell from my speakers ;)

When I read your post, I was assuming you've compared the depth of the tube vs. SS amps in the same room.

Yes, I have compared SS and tubes in both my room and in other rooms with other systems.  Some of which I'm very familiar.  

Again...I'm not opposed to tubes or SS at all.  I just want to be sure of my next choice...as this is a choice I'm going to be living with for a while ;)  

Don't forget you are at the whims of your ear/brain connection. What is musical to you is possibly/probably different than mine... and can sometimes change... especially as you get older.

dang it...why'd ya have ta remind me  :nono:  

:wink:

thanks again>>>>>

Rocket

aksa 100 nirvana
« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2004, 09:46 am »
Hi Gonefishin,

Do you have any idea how much the aksa 55 (i would go for the nirvana upgrade) will cost you in the us?

If you can solder and build the kit yourself it shouldn't be too much of an investment.  No amp is perfect and i'm sure the aksa has it's limitations but it is a very good sounding amplifier.

i've heard comparisons to naim etc but imo the aksa is much better than that amp.

The good thing about an aksa is that many people have really tweaked the amp and you can improve upon it yourself.  If you are lazy like myself you could consider the nirvana plus as well.

The aksa will never sound like a tube amp.  I'm personnally not fond of a soft tube sounding amp, but likewise i don't like the sound of many ss amps.

where do you live in the us?  can you listen to an aksa locally?  hugh is sending an aksa 100 nirvana plus on an audition tour to the states, perhaps you should consider placing your name on the list.

regards

rocket

andyr

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2004, 09:54 am »
Hi, gonefishin,

U haven't bothered to tell us in your moniker where on Earth U are but I assume you're in the good ol' USofA.

Therefore, very soon, when Hugh gets his AKSA100N+  US roadshow organised, U can listen to it and make up your own mind as to whether an AKSA "sand amp" delivers good sound or not.

Naturally, cost/benefit - or "bang for ya buck" - also plays a part in this; I would suggest you would need to pay at least 10x as much as an AKSA to get a commercial ss amp which sounded better.  What the multiplier is for a tube amp, I don't know ... and I suspect this is probably speaker dependent.

I suggest theorising is a WOT ... listening is the only thing that matters.

Regards,

Andy

nature boy

« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2004, 12:06 pm »
Therefore, very soon, when Hugh gets his AKSA100N+ US roadshow organised, U can listen to it and make up your own mind as to whether an AKSA "sand amp" delivers good sound or not.

Hugh,

When you get this roadshow organized, count me in for a demonstration.  I would like to see how your amplifier stacks up to my Don Nance modified ART SLA-1 amplifier and see if it proves a good match with my Eastern Electric Minimax preamp!

Sounds like a lot of happy AKSA owners out there.

NB

gonefishin

« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2004, 05:46 pm »
Thanks for the comments :D

I hadn't noticed that my "location" field wasn't filled out  :oops:  I suppose that would help ;)

I may have to check out the "audition"  tour for the 100.  This would solve many questions I have about the AKSA amp.   (where do I sign up?)

Actually, I'm still not sure what route I'll go.  But if I do like the AKSA amps, I was thinking of keeping the voicing the same for both my mids/highs and bass.  I was thinking of (possibly) the 100 on the woofers and the lower voltage (24V rails) 55 on the mid/highs.

Pertaining to the lower powered AKSA 55 amp...

I've seen Hugh mention that it is better to have two separate power supplies...One per channel.  Would this still hold true going with a pure (+/- 24V) DC source...such as a battery power supply?

The reason I ask is because I have a separate chassis battery power supply for a gainclone project.  The batter supply sits in a separate enclosure from the amp with it's own power umbilical.  So, I would be able to use this power supply for either the AKSA or the gainclone.  Just plug the power supply into whichever amp was being used.  But, if the benefits of going with pure battery powered DC do not out weigh any quality in sound I may lose, by not going with two power supplies, then I would stick with trafos.

Does going with a battery power supply change any concerns of having on supply per channel?

Don't know???

Also, could anyone try to explain to me how an amplifier portrays  soundstage depth.  

What happens electrically?  I can either switch SS amps or switch even a single driver tube in an amp and get different soundstage characteristics...and not only width...but depth.  

thanks,
  dan

DVV

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2004, 06:45 pm »
Quote from: gonefishin

Pertaining to the lower powered AKSA 55 amp...

I've seen Hugh mention that it is better to have two separate power supplies...One per channel. Would this still hold true going with a pure (+/- 24V) DC source...such as a battery power supply?
[\quote]

Like everything else under thye sun, so the battery power supplies have their pros and cons. Their greatest virtues are that they hold their voltage rock steady right up to just before they are completely exhausted, extremely small variations (in other words, first the current is drained, and the volatge is the last to go), and that by default they are perfect DC voltage sources.

It is not often said, but is nevertheless true, that they have their down sides as well. The most important two are that you need a charger with them (more electronics with its own set of compromises) which jacks up their price and real world space occupancy, and much more important, they are "lazy". This means they are slow to deliver current, and it's this trait which makes them unsuitable for large current consumers, which what every power amplifier is.

What this means to you is that your dynamics are radically cut down, despite tricks often used to make this problem less pronounced, everything starts to sound from more flat to downright flat.

In preamps, where the current demand is far lower, this is not really a problem, so that's where batteries are used most often.

The reason I ask is because I have a separate chassis battery power supply for a gainclone project. The batter supply sits in a separate enclosure from the amp with it's own power umbilical. So, I would be able to use this power supply for either the AKSA or the gainclone. Just plug the power supply into whichever amp was being used. But, if the benefits of going with pure battery powered DC do not out weigh any quality in sound I may lose, by not going with two power supplies, then I would stick with trafos.

By all means, do.

Does going with a battery power supply change any concerns of having on supply per channel? [\quote]

None whatsoever, it's a power supply, and any and all concerns regarding power supplies apply to batteries as well to other forms of power supplies.

Don't know??? [\quote]

Well, I do have an inkling.

Also, could anyone try to explain to me how an amplifier portrays soundstage depth.

What happens electrically? I can either switch SS amps or switch even a single driver tube in an amp and get different soundstage characteristics...and not only width...but depth. [\quote]

If this could be quantified in simple electrical terms, there wouldn't be a single bad amp made on this planet. Or a so-so amp, or anything below excellent.

In electronics, such complex relationships are usually bundeled under the term "transfer characteristics", which means so many things all at once that in specific terms in means nothing at all to a layman. Common sense tells you that for good sound, any one stage in any electronics must pass the signal just as it was sent to it, only amplified - the proverbial straight wire with a gain.

WE all know that - but getting there is a TOTALLY different matter. Now, anyone who designs audio electronics, and that includes Hugh and myself, has his own idea of what should be done and how. Most are wary of even discussing the subject for fear of telling too much - or some such. While partly understandable, this has long ago degenerated to a cabal state of affairs, total secrecy and he who talks shall be beheaded sort of thing.

When there is no true information, whispering and rumopuring starts, and semi-truths and outright lunacies are evetually accepted as universal truths, which is what we have now, and I'm sad to say, to a much greater extent than in the early days of home audio, as in the 70-ies.

I had to tell you all this to help you understand why you are aksing a question to which there is no definite, much less a clear cut answer, and if somebody does know a few things, they are not likely to tell you the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

My own answer to you is a list of requirements and conditions you have to meet to get it, and even then it's all too easy to go wrong (in no particular order):

1. Each gain stage must operate well within its real world capabilities, not its paper specifications;

2. Each gain stage must produce as little distortion as possible, so as to keep the need for global feedback down to very low levels (and this is a topic of a raging war with designers);

3. The overall amplifier/preamp must have a large open loop bandwidth (i.e. with no output-back-to-input feedback), so as to accommodate at the very least the audible bandwidth, or preferably twice that bandwidth. This will greatly reduce dynamic distortion forms because the need to have the NFB loop correct the mistakes is greatly reduced;

4. The electronics, with the only possible exception of the power amp output stage, must be run in true, pure class A for best response. However, I believe that if this is satisfied with say 10 mA of current, you should design for 20 mA, even 25 mA, because in my view, this can be demonstrated to produce better sound staging, albeit at the cost of higher power electronics;

5. In case of class AB output stages, the quisecent current (i.e. the current the output stage devices pass through signal or no signal to keep them open) should be significantly higher than is typically done. In most cases, this is set at the point of lowest distortion, which typically means 20...50 mA per output device. My contention is that 100...150 mA will produce a better sound, especially in terms of imaging and spatial information;

6. The power supplies must be top notch, both in terms of quantity and quality. This means high quality transformers and capacitors, and enough of them for the given power level. In other words, the amp must have a large reserve of energy from which to draw on when required if it is to be able to reproduce transients faithfully and negotiate complex loads;

7. Your output devices must be carefully selected for the job, and you must have enough of them, because using more shares the worload among them, offloads individual devices and thus reduces distortion, especially under dynamic conditions. As a small side note, Hugh and I are in complete agreement which devices, how many of them and what tolerances they must meet. Furthermore, these devices must be matched to very tight tolerances, and this is usually not done in consumer audio (they are happy with +/-5%), which is a costly process ...

I could go on, but I think you see just what this particular hornet's nest you stirred feel like. :lol: But if you want me to, and if Hugh will allow it, I can go on.

Cheers,
DVV

AKSA

« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2004, 11:04 pm »
Dejan,

I believe we all enjoy it when you '...go on', so do please continue!   :lol:   You write beautifully, and we all learn something!  

'Gonefishin', some deep questions, going right to the core of the vexing design issues.    :banghead:

First, battery power is fine, but very inconvenient.  The appeal of running your hifi amp independent of the bothersome mains will soon run out, however, when you come up against the realities of keeping batteries charged and healthy.  It's a pain........  And there's more elecronics, too.   :mrgreen:

However, batteries do have some worrying issues.

Conversion from Sulphuric Acid and Lead allotrope to Water and Lead Sulphate is clearly a slowish, chemical process, with migration of ions and electrons through an acid electrolyte.  Since the current draw from an audio amplifier is highly irregular, and this current must be supplied on demand from the battery, there could be problems with speed, and it turns out that beyond about 10KHz this is indeed so.  Output impedance at constant current varies considerably, and increases sharply beyond this frequency, much like a simple IC regulator like an LM317, except at about ten times lower frequency.

So, you need some provision to accommodate this rapidly changing current demand, since each rail delivers a half rectified version of the output signal, and this stuttering demand is tricky to supply via a speed-challenged chemical process.

Therefore, you need reservoir capacitors (notice this is an identical requirement for an AC, mains powered supply), and in a way you are back to square one.

Some years ago there was a company in Taiwan called N.E.W., who produced battery powered amplifiers.  Not bad, either, Rocket (Rod, on this forum) owned one and was well pleased with it.

However, the joy of owning batteries turned to outrage when he had to replace them prematurely.  The cost was very high, and the additional electronics to charge the batteries was unreliable.  Last night at an industry gathering here in Melbourne I was told by the former Australian importer of N.E.W. that the company went bankrupt.

In closing, let's examine imaging.  In keeping with the notion that the three cardinal rules of real estate are Position, Position, Divorce, The four most difficult issues in amplifier design are Stability, Stability, Sibilance and Imaging.  Really tricky stuff.

Imaging information is contained with the phase relationships between the sounds of music, and these relationships typically lie between 1KHz and about 7KHz.  We all know that a sub-woofer, and even a woofer, has little bearing on imaging, and in fact you can locate a sub in the floor, the roof, the side wall, wherever, and there's little problem.  But imaging information is intimately tied up with speaker position, listening position, source, cables, interconnects, musical material - and Amplifiers.

If phase inter-relationships are changed between the musical instruments and vocalist(s), imaging will be affected.  It relates to the time duration of the wavefront as it travels from a point to the listener;  to preserve these time issues, phase relationships must be maintained.  It appears to be  necessary to keep these phase relationships intact across the whole system chain, but sadly the requirements for rock-solid stability of a feedback amplifier usually militate against this, so compromise and critical parameter adjustment is required.  Specifically, lag compensation and phase lead, both used to ensure stability with global feedback under all load conditions, are critical if imaging is to get through unscathed.

I won't go beyond this, because it would appear to be about 80% of the problem.  Get it right, and the rest falls into place.  And the same arguments apply to a preamplifier, incidentally.  Incidentally, correct lag comp and phase lead cannot easily be calculated;  it must be derived empirically, and the combinations are huge.

Hope this answers your questions!

Cheers,

Hugh

Rocket

aksa amps
« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2004, 01:50 am »
Hi Gonefishin,

I thought i'd chime in with my opinions of battery amps, although i don't have the technical knowledge of hugh or dejan i do have a lot experience with battery supply, as i own an n.e.w. dc-66 battery amp.

I personally wouldn't bother with battery supply.  Dejan mentioned that they can lack dynamics, which can be a problem if you don't have enough battery power supply or the batteries are getting old and don't keep as much charge.  I noticed a considerable improvement in dynamics when i purchased new batteries for the amp.  The batteries in my amp would usually taken 4 -6 hours to recharge after a listening session.

I presume you're looking at a battery supply as you think you will obtain a cleaner stable supply and therefore have a sonic improvement.  I had an interesting comparison between my n.e.w. dc-66 and the ac version.
The only difference between the amps was the ac version had lower quality parts.   This was overcome as my friend had some caps and resistors upgraded for premium parts.

Anyway we listened to these amps for about 2 hours.  Swapping them in out of the system and making sure the other person didn't know which amp was being utilised.  Basically we couldn't tell any difference between the 2 amps.  A short time later i had a problem with the recharge circuit and it overheated the batteries which were 4 x panasonic l.s.a. 12v33amp hour batteries.  to replace them would have cost $600au/$350us.

This is the reason i turned to the aksa and i haven't looked back since.  So in my opinion i wouldn't bother with batteries, unless may'be you would consider a battery powered cd player or dac.  Now that might be interesting.

Now that i've been able to obtain a schematic for the ac power supply for the n.e.w. i'm going to resurrect it for a 2nd system  :) .

best wishes

rocket

ps the amps were built by cary audio in the us.

gonefishin

« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2004, 03:01 am »
Guys, thanks SOOO much for all the great comments!

DVV, thanks for chiming in.

When there is no true information, whispering and rumopuring starts, and semi-truths and outright lunacies are evetually accepted as universal truths, which is what we have now, and I'm sad to say, to a much greater extent than in the early days of home audio, as in the 70-ies.

I had to tell you all this to help you understand why you are aksing a question to which there is no definite, much less a clear cut answer, and if somebody does know a few things, they are not likely to tell you the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Your absolutely right...which is actually part of the reason I ask.  Because I don't know.

I'm not trying to become an amplifier designer or looking to make some new discovery in audio electronics.  I would just like a basic understanding of how certain characteristics of sound are made/changed passed in an amplifier.

I've listened to a good number of amplifiers both tube and SS.  But I'm afraid I think this has done little more than get me in touch with my preferences for audio equipment (not necessarily a bad thing).  I've also found it's difficult to find articles that show a real use (to me) on the internet.  I've found alot of stuff from common hobbyist (like we find at audio forums) ...well...perhaps it would just be most polite if I said I think many of them have read and believed too many ads and brochures from every audio manufacturer that they've read.  I've also found some newsgroup type articles where designers and DIY'ers alike talk about actual amplifier design issues.

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain "how an amplifier works 101" to me (and others...if they're reading)

I do understand that this can be looked at as stirring up a hornets nest...but the hornets do serve a purpose.  Even tho they may sting from time to time.
   I'm not allergic to hornets or bees ;), and would like you to continue (with permission from Hugh)

well...time fer bed...I'll write (and read) more in the morning.

thanks guys!

EchiDna

« Reply #13 on: 1 May 2004, 09:06 am »
you can find Hugh's take on amp design here

DVV

« Reply #14 on: 1 May 2004, 01:37 pm »
Quote from: gonefishin
Guys, thanks SOOO much for all the great comments!

DVV, thanks for chiming in.

Your absolutely right...which is actually part of the reason I ask.  Because I don't know.

I'm not trying to become an amplifier designer or looking to make some new discovery in audio electronics.  I would just like a basic understanding of how certain characteristics of sound are made/changed passed in an amplifier.

I've listened to a good number of amplifiers both tube and SS.  But I'm afraid I th ...

I surmised as much. Fortunately, there are still people like you who will not take any old bull for an answer, and you've obviously read enough ad sheets to be able to recognize the ad man at work.

There are odd little things you can do when designing an amp which will have tremendous impact on how it sounds. In addition to my perviously posted list, let me add a few tricks:

1. Use single silicon die ultra matched transistors. This is ALWAYS an outstanding trick, because you are using transistors matched to such close tolerances as you could never really do on your own (less than 0.1% difference), no matter how good equipment you own. Because they are on the same die, they are by default matched, and because they are in the same package, their thermal characteristics are also by default ultra matched. Exactly what you need for high quality differential pairs. Adding icing to the cake is the fact that such pairs usually have incredibly good noise characteristics. The ones that come to mind are MAT series (more expensive in metal packaging) and corresponding SSM (plastic packaging) 2210 (NPN) and 2220 (PNP) devices. Their TOTAL noise is less than the noise generated by their associated resistors, and that's saying something! Interested parties can pick up the data sheets on my site http://www.zero-distortion.com . If implemented well, you have better soundstaging and more "air" in the music;

2. Use ultra high quality resistors in critical places (NFB loop, input stage). I refer to for example Vishay bulk foil resistors, as opposed to high quality metal oxyde resistors, in both cases 1% or 0.1% tolerance. Take my word for it, you CAN AND DO hear the difference as cleaner sound;

3. Use bandpass filtering of the input signal. I'm sure you have heard very bad things about filtering in general, and may assume that since this is more electronics, this MUST be worse than going without it. But it's just not so. With properly applied bandpass filtering, what you end up doing is saving your amp from a lot of useless work at the expense of the usable range. Just so we have this straight, I still maintain the amp should have an open loop (i.e. without any global feedback) of no less than 50 kHz, and I usually get my designs to go as far as 80 or 100 kHz. Let's say 80 kHz. If you now add a filter to the input stage with a cutoff frequency of say 50 kHz, your 20 kHz response will still be reasonably flat (down by say 0.3 ... 0.5 dB), BUT your amp will be faster than the fastest reasonably possible signal appearing at its input, and consequently it cannot have Transient Intermodualtion Distortion, because no input signal can outpace it. It will also be better behaved with awkward loads to a certain extent, not critical but always most welcome, you can never have too much stability. Do the same for low frequencies, because what the hell do you have at 5 Hz anyway - no sound from this time-space continuum, that's for sure. Play with this, and you can actually emulate tube sound, adding a few more tricks down the design stream;

4. The KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) design principle has long ago deteriorated to a point of Monty Python absurdity. Here we are, demanding more and more from our audio circuits, and at the same time, kicking out anything we can so long as it keeps working. I see this as a lashback to a situation we had about 20 years ago, when people really started making incredibly complex designs no-one could actually justify in either technical or sonic terms. This was bad, so the idea of simplyfying where possible was essentially good, but then they went and raised to a Satanic Verse level - Allah says simple, and if not simple, your head goes off, infidel! It has, in other words, completely degenerated to its own opposite. Just because a single device CAN do the job does NOT mean using just one deice is the ideal way to go about it. Ah, if it were only as simple as that, Hugh could offer you a kit consisting of just one device - but he can't, I can't and nobody reliably can. Not even Nelson Pass, and it's not as if he hasn't tried; he has, with his Zen. The trouble is that the end results vary tremendously, and he has thus in fact failed, because he sacrificed uniformity of both the source and load - remember, a well designed amp must be insensitive to both, so long as the input signal voltage level is sufficient to drive it to full power. BTW, so far as I know, the Zen and the rest of his bastard (no mommy, just one daddy) family are the only mediocre things Nelson Pass has done, everything else goes in his favor and I still take my hat off to him.

But not all is lost, there are still sane designers around, Hugh here being one of them. If you think I'm plugging Hugh, you're wrong, I'm not, I never plug anybody starting from myself, but just as I have no reservations about slapping anybody's cheek, so I feel it's only fair to express my satisfaction as it is my dissatisfaction. My practical experience with his AKSA is limited to one 55W sample, and one built by somebody else - this did the job just as the job was supposed to be done. To me, who am aware of all the pitfalls, this is a BIG deal simply because I know from personal experience just how easy it is to miss.

Of course, there are others, people like James Bongiorno (Ampzilla 2000), Douglas Self (in moments when he is Douglas and not Self, and there's quite a bit of Self, Self and Self in him), Dan Banquer (also on this list), Richard Miller (head of amp design in Harman/Kardon), the design team at NAD, and so forth. As of this writing, I am not even close to being there with them, but I'm working on it and should have results by the end of this year, hopfully in time for Christmas.

Anyway, I hope this has at least to some extent shown you just how difficult it is to design a well SOUNDING amp; an electrically proficient amp I'll design every day, day in, day out, no problemo, except that as done, chances are it'll sound awful, or at best bearable. To move it up from that stage to a good sounding amp, then a very good one, and just possibly an excellent sounding one, I'll need months of experimenting, tweaking, adjusting, swearing, at least 20 cans of Nescafe, 20+ bottles of my favorite Greek wine Imiglykos, like 50 cartons of Dunhill, my favorite smoke and much chanting, dancing and invoking of dark powers. I caricature a bit, but it really takes much care and auditioning to turn an electrically all but perfect circuit into a really good music performer.

For my next gig, I'll expiate the virtues of three way speakers over inferior two way types, in hope that Hugh just might read this and give the thought a whirl. :lol: He's done just about everything else except that and producing a well sounding coffee pot. :mrgreen:

I'll spare you the technical details of what I did to my old, humble Yugo to make it into a fire breather. I won't spare the local drivers, though, I did it to honor them; after years of being pushed around by Audis, BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes, I now have the pleasure of leaving them in the dust (well, most of them, anyway).

Cheers,
DVV

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 1 May 2004, 03:28 pm »
Quote from: DVV
I'll spare you the technical details of what I did to my old, humble Yugo to make it into a fire breather.

Traded it in??

Ah, couldn't resist! :rotflmao:

DVV

« Reply #16 on: 1 May 2004, 03:50 pm »
Quote from: JohnR
I'll spare you the technical details of what I did to my old, humble Yugo to make it into a fire breather.

Traded it in??

Ah, couldn't resist! :rotflmao:

Not quite ... beware of a cop blue Yugo next time you cross the street. :mrgreen:

No, I bought a new car last May, a year ago. I didn't know what to do with the old Yugo, and it was in excellent shape and condition, because as you can imagine, I tend to maintain whatever I have in the best condition possible.

When I learnt what I could get for it if I sold it second hand, I got really pissed off, worse even than audio mags can get me. :lol: So I proved that I am indeed a true Serb, I went and did the one thing that was NOT reasonable. Instead of taking what I could for it, I invested a NICE bundle into it.

In all trurh, John, my younger days caught up with me. When I was a 20 year old kid, I craved an Alfa Romeo Junior, which of course I couldn't afford. So I waited, and the small Yugo provided the perfect opportunity to, to - what? Tune it is not really describing what's been done and what will yet be done, rebuilding is more like it. At this time, it just breathes fire, but I'm not done yet. Stage 3 will elevate it into a REALLY nifty vehicle capable of giving far larger, more powerful and expensive cars a whopping headache.

To give you an idea, there's sthis Merc standing beside me, brand new, big, a guy my age at the wheel. The traffic light changes to to yellow with a slew rate of 1 million volts per microsecond, staying yellow one millionth of a second, and switching to green. His tires scream, my tires scream, and he catches up with me at the third traffic light. The Yugo is small and consequently has less inertia; of course, on any longer run he'd catch me fairly quickly, and I could never ourun him in a straight line. But at the traffic light, Yugo rulez!

My contribution to this project is a heavy tweaking of Weber-Marelli electronic fuel injection; right now, it's like no other EFI system I have ever seen, or know of. Yeah, tweaking gets into your bloodstream, man.

And as you would expect of me, a lot of time was dedicated to the SOUND of the engine. I mean, if it doesn't boil my blood in the first three seconds, what the hell use is it to me? It can't just run crazy, it has to SOUND crazy as well. Sheesh, once an audiophile, always an audiophile, it goes genetic on you, sound is a legal drug. I am very happy with how it sounds now, when it roars it scares the pants off you. :mrgreen:

Wanna talk about cooking now? I do that very well too. In fact, the army (national service is still compulsory, although in a few years, it will not be so, the army is going 100% professional) gave me a legal qualification for it way back in 1981. :lol:

Cheers,
DVV

Occam

« Reply #17 on: 1 May 2004, 06:48 pm »

Wanna talk about cooking now? I do that very well too. In fact, the army (national service is still compulsory, although in a few years, it will not be so, the army is going 100% professional) gave me a legal qualification for it way back in 1981.

Food? Did somebody mention food?
Asparagus season has just peaked in N.A.... The trick is to put a clove of garlic with an 1/8 cup of olive oil and heat gently for 15sec in a microwave to soften the garlic, tone down the sulfur compounds, and prevent garlic breath. Smush the garlic with some salt and along with the oil and lemon juice and finely slivered peel (rigorously de-pithed) from a quarter lemon. Snap the asparagus wher it 'naturally' snaps. Use a carrot, potato... peeler to take the tough skin for the bottom 1/2" of the stalks. Mix together and place in a shallow dish in a 375F (convection) oven. After 20-30min, the tops will start to char. Remove, taste for doneness.... [ for large quantites, par steam the asparagus first, and bake for a shorter time at a higher temp.]
Now my Mother's galumpkys (cabbage rolls) are a whole 'nuther matter.  There is such a thing as intellectual property (IP).....
I too am a certified, tested 'New York State Food  Handler' as I like to know exactly how I'm delivering food born illness.

But back to circuiitry..... Like real estate, location, location, location. A wonderful 'dead bug' prototype can turn to garbage without the proper circuit boad layout. And digital (or mixed signal) can even be worse. Hugh's PC boards are a wonderful sight to behold.

DVV

« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2004, 10:32 pm »
Quote from: Occam
Food? Did somebody mention food?
I too am a certified, tested 'New York State Food Handler' as I like to know exactly how I'm delivering food born illness. [\quote]

"Certified New York State Food Handler" - holy cow, that's better than in communism, they never showed such imagination. Pray tell, what exactly does that mean?

I guess I am schizophrenic then. One of me is a certified food preparationist and manager (in non-legalese, a goddamn cookie), the other one of me is a recognized food consumer and enjoyment trustee. :lol: I also worked on the post of a Sausage Preparation and Perusal For Female Kitchen Staff only. :mrgreen:

But back to circuiitry..... Like real estate, location, location, location. A wonderful 'dead bug' prototype can turn to garbage without the proper circuit boad layout. And digital (or mixed signal) can even be worse. Hugh's PC boards are a wonderful sight to behold....

Agreed. Not easy to do.

Cheers,
DVV

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #19 on: 2 May 2004, 07:10 am »
Wow !! Electronic's, cooking, and car facts all in one thread....I knew this was an excellent forum !! Pass me a Dunhill, thanks !! :)