Sub deals\options

murphy11

Sub deals\options
« on: 26 Nov 2011, 02:04 am »
Hey Danny\All,

I'm thinking about upgrading my Onix UFW-10 sub for something available from GR. The sub would be all purpose and mostly for 5.1 content from a FIOS cable box. It's going in a newer family room paired with an Integra 8.8 receiver and Energy Take classic speakers (sub will replace the UFW-10)

Any Black Friday or holiday deals coming up in the near term? What would my options be for improving on the sub I already have? Size, finish and price will be considerations because of the wife :(

Danny Richie

Re: Sub deals\options
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2011, 03:19 am »
I really don't see you doing much with UFW-10. You could line it with No Rez and improve the quality slightly. That's about it.

My best sub is a SW-12-04 servo woofer. I should have amps in stock for it in a week or two. Nothing at any price really beats it. You'll have to build a box or have one of the regulars here build a box for you.

No sales right now. 

murphy11

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2011, 03:44 pm »
Thanks Danny. I'm in Philly and if anyone has one of these for sale or has a completed box please let me know. I don't have the time to cut the pieces but might have time for to assemble a flat pack (if there is such a thing)

murphy11

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2012, 11:45 pm »
Bump. Just sold a receiver and have some extra cash on hand. If anyone knows of a great deal on a GR research or Ryhtmik servo sub in Mid-Atlantic area, please let me know.

Danny if you have any great deals coming up, I'm potentially in the market.

Mark

murphy11

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2012, 12:23 pm »
Are there flat packs for sub boxes for the 12-04? Would I be able to save any money by having someone build me a box, buying the amp and driver and building it myself or do I save and buy an assembled box at some point?

Trying to figure out realistic options. I've been scouring the Internet daily and haven't seen any GR or Rythmik subs for sale so I may never find a great deal on a used one :(

jparkhur

murphy11

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2012, 02:06 pm »
Thanks John,

Your boxes look great and price seems reasonable for what you'd get. When I add up the costs of the individual components I wouldn't really be saving much money to assemble myself. $200 for box, $179 for driver and $350 for amp gets me to $728. Rythmik sells a F12 for $799 which includes the grill which I'd need for WAF.

I generally like the sweat equity approach and saving money but don't have time and space for this project. Decisions decisions.

jparkhur

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2012, 02:09 pm »
Yep, sometimes you can't compete with China on boxes... Either way you will get a great sub.

Redefy Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2012, 02:34 pm »
never saw chinese made with baltic birch  8)

if its me, i will go with jparkhur's box.

cheers
henry

jparkhur

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2012, 02:43 pm »
Murphy makes a valid point.  Some of DIY is self fulfillment and the process.  Brian makes great stuff and the combination of Danny's 12's is perfect.  Everyone has their own specific needs and wants, you just have to be happy with what you have and not what everyone else has.  I love my small Decware amp, Apple TV2 and or my Virtue pre/amp combos for my speakers.  Less than 600 dollars and its great sound..

Honestly.. to each his own-you can never enjoy it if your trying to keep up with the Jone's... their rich...ha.

JP 

jparkhur

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2012, 02:45 pm »
never saw chinese made with baltic birch  8)

if its me, i will go with jparkhur's box.

cheers
henry

Henry is correct, China would have to move up a few latitude lines to get "baltic" anything.  I have tried their Yellow Sea Birch, it sucks.......  Baltic is the best way to go in any instance for these types of applications....   

murphy11

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2012, 12:56 pm »
Just posted a WTB offer for a Rythmik or GR sub in the for sale forum. Willing to drive up to 2 hours from Philly and pay cash for a good deal. PM me if interested.

Mark

murphy11

« Reply #12 on: 12 Mar 2012, 06:45 pm »
So I broke down and bought a Rythmik F12G SE sub which was delivered Thursday  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I let Audyssey multi EQ XT do its thing on my Integra 8.8 and am VERY pleased at how much better it is than my old Onix UFW-10. Have only used it with cable content from Verizon FIOS but the difference is very clear and audible. Initial reaction was everything (including non-LFE content) was more cohereent and engaging. Similar to going from standard def to hi-def video content. Danny's driver and the sero amp are Sweet!