Bugle PowerSupply question.

PT914

« on: 29 Apr 2004, 05:47 pm »
Hi,

I am new to this site but have built the smaller kits from Hagerman Tech and am very impressed by the board quality.  I am using the PowerSupply kit to power an active crossover and need a little more mAs.  I dropped the transformer supply voltage and regulated the voltage to 12 which should give me about 150 mA, hopefully.  I noticed that my mains run at 124V to 125V and with the lower voltage transformer, I still get 21 volts just before the regulator.  My question is, can use the 15 volt regulator while still using the lower voltage transformer and still get the higher mA.  I read that the 15 volt regulator needs 17.5 volts.

Thanks,
Phil

hagtech

• Facilitator
    • http://www.hagtech.com
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2004, 02:49 am »
My question is, can use the 15 volt regulator while still using the lower voltage transformer and still get the higher mA. I read that the 15 volt regulator needs 17.5 volts?

Unfortunately not.  The transformer is limited by power, not current.  I forget, but I think it is a 5W core.  So that's all you get from the output; current equals power divided by voltage.  You can substitute a larger transformer.  It just won't fit into the board nicely.

jh :)

PT914

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2004, 06:13 pm »
Jim,

I just noticed that a 7 watt transformer has the same pin deminstions as the 5 watt.  It is just a little taller.  I'll try that.

Phil