N2X Build

gijogeo

N2X Build
« on: 25 Nov 2011, 05:04 am »
Been thinking for quite some time going through thread in GR and DIY to do a speaker project. Not a DIYer but wanted to do it just for thrills and the much aligned belief that its value for money. The thought of importing a kit paying customs and freight was the single biggest dampener coz these both added up to 45% of the cost of the kit. But decided to go for it anyway since there are currently no credible sources for speaker kits available in my country. So went ahead and bought the N2X. Few pics.

Cabinets ready for painting

Crossovers

How not to solder :oops:

Getting there  :thumb:

Cabs after painting. I asked for a glossy Piano black finish. But unfortunately the painter didn't have the time or the patience to do a good putty and polishing job so this is how the cabs look like. But I kinda like this part glossy and part mat finish as well.

I had inserted a 6mm ply in the countersinks before giving it for painting. But those guys had their own ideas and removed the screwed ply's and stuck paper with double sided tape. Unfortunately I had to scrape off some of the paint and putty since the tweeter outer cover wouldn't fit in. The scraped off bits are the white shades. :evil: Anyways now I know.

Danny now I know what you mean by "the paint might telegraph through a butt joint". Another lesson well learned the hard way. :duh:

I'll be fixing the NoRez sometime today or tomorrow as time permits.

One question. There are drops of paint inside the cabinet. Do they need to be scraped off before lining with the Norez to be glued in better?

Danny Richie

Re: N2X Build
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2011, 07:54 pm »
The good thing is that how pretty the box is or isn't won't have any effect on the performance.

There are drops of paint inside the cabinet. Do they need to be scraped off before lining with the Norez to be glued in better?

Don't worry about that. The No Rez will cover right over those paint drops and they will have no effect on anything.

When you solder the crossover together consider that the solder is not to be used to make the connection. The connection is made by twisting the leads together. The solder then just bonds the connection so that it doesn't move or come apart.

Thanks for posting the pics.

gijogeo

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2011, 05:08 pm »
Danny/All
I've done the Norez but fell short for a couple of spots. To be precise

1. A 5" X 5" spot just behind the tweeter on the top baffle. Hope the below pic helps.

2. And part of the side wall on either side, after the Brace A in the middle. Pic below.

First, Are these critical areas that do need the damping sheets or can I leave it as it is and just fill the cabinets with polyfill and be done with it?
If it does make a considerable difference, shall I just fill the above space with carpet underlay or 1/2" foam sheet around the same density of NoRez 
Please do suggest.
thanks

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2011, 05:58 pm »
You don't have to cover every square inch of space.

I can't tell from the pic but you'll want to come back off of the woofer just a little so the woofer isn't forced to work through the foam. Coming back about an inch or so off the front baffle on either side of the woofer works fine.

The No Rez is really dampening the resonances of the panel that you are putting it on. So even a piece of it in the middle of the panel is effective. The center of each panel and away from the braces are where it can be the most resonant. Those are the areas of attention.

I think you have it cover.

Lastly, add a loose fill of poly fill or fiberglass insulation right behind the woofer and cover any area where there is no No Rez and your good.