Cornet build questions

noskipallwd

Cornet build questions
« on: 23 Nov 2011, 06:59 am »
Hello,
My first post here. I ordered the half kit for the Cornet and have a couple of questions. If I use chassis mount (isolated) RCA jacks is it a good idea to use shielded wire from the jacks to the board? Also, am I understanding correctly, that the heatsinks are floated so I just solder them to the board, and not install a mounting kit to isolate the transistors from them. Lastly, I am familiar with 12AX7s and 12AU7s and have a few examples of each, but I am new to the 5Y3GT rectifier. Anyone have advice on the better examples of this tube? Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Shawn P.

el34

Re: Cornet build questions
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2011, 07:48 pm »
All I tried in 5y3gt's was standard grade RCAs and GEs which were ok, a milspec 5y3 something or other, which was smoother, and 6106, which was my favorite , and some others' on this board too.  Never tried the sovtek.  Be aware that changing rectifier types will channge your B+ voltage, maybe moving it out of spec. 

Twisted pairs or shielded wire from the connectors is a good idea to reduce noise pickup.  Try to keep it short, it adds capacitance.  One of the better upgrades I did was to use low capacitance cable from the table to the cornet.

I used insulating pads on my current sinks, I remember the sinks being grounded, but that's using an original cornet board, not version 2.

Enjoy your new phono!

poty

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2011, 10:11 am »
If I use chassis mount (isolated) RCA jacks is it a good idea to use shielded wire from the jacks to the board?
Yes, if you suffer from hum. No, if you suffer from some lack in high frequencies response due to the excessive capacitance or use a SUT.
Also, am I understanding correctly, that the heatsinks are floated so I just solder them to the board, and not install a mounting kit to isolate the transistors from them.
See: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90250.msg965525#msg965525
Lastly, I am familiar with 12AX7s and 12AU7s and have a few examples of each, but I am new to the 5Y3GT rectifier. Anyone have advice on the better examples of this tube? Thanks in advance for any help.
In my opinion any 5AR4 would do the duty better. I'd not bother really with the brands, but in several posts (just try to search "Cornet 5AR4") some DIYers were able to hear differences.

noskipallwd

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2011, 03:04 pm »
Thanks for your help, poty and el34, looking forward to the build. Happy Thanksgiving :thumb:.

Cheers,
Shawn P.