Yikes! I have 70 SACDs!

SWG255

Yikes! I have 70 SACDs!
« on: 29 Apr 2004, 02:41 am »
I finally decided it was time to file my SACDs which have been sitting in four or five irregular piles on my equipment cabinet. So, of course, I had to count 'em. I have 70! I didn't realize I had that many, but then again, just like when I buy CDs, i tend to buy them five or six at a time.

I'm not trying for any kind of bragging rights, I'm sure my collection is pretty small compared to many audiophiles out there who also collect SACDs, but it just shows how this stuff can get out of hand!

pjchappy

Yikes! I have 70 SACDs!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2004, 02:44 am »
I probably would have that many if they had more SACDs that suit my tastes. . . I only have 2:  DSOTM and Norah Jones' 1st one. . .
I want to get Beck: Sea Change; but, I already have it on CD. . .is it a dual layer (2ch SACD)???

p

JoshK

Yikes! I have 70 SACDs!
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2004, 02:47 am »
Beck - Sea Changes is not a Hybrid. I just checked, its MC/2CH SACD.

Marbles

Yikes! I have 70 SACDs!
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2004, 02:51 am »
You have 70 more than me  :wink:

Jay S

Yikes! I have 70 SACDs!
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2004, 03:24 am »
I have 3 (Sting, Stones, Pink Floyd)... and I don't even have an SACD player!   :o

What burns me is that although they are hybrids not a single one plays in my 4 year old Toshiba DVD player, which is currently my only source.  :evil:

If I want to hear them, I need to use my laptop.  I have told Alex Peychev that I want a modded Pioneer 563A universal player from him but he has a backlog of orders that he is working through.

Jay S

Yikes! I have 70 SACDs!
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2004, 03:26 am »
I have 3 (Sting, Stones, Pink Floyd)... and I don't even have an SACD player!   :o

What burns me is that although they are hybrids not a single one plays in my 4 year old Toshiba DVD player, which is currently my only source.  :evil:

If I want to hear them, I need to use my laptop.  I have told Alex Peychev that I want a modded Pioneer 563A universal player from him but he has a backlog of orders that he is working through.

Tbadder1

Yikes! I have 70 SACDs!
« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2004, 04:55 pm »
I have all the Dylans and all the Stones and a few extras.  I was so pleased with the two big collections I decided that's the approach I'm going to take.  I hope the companies get the hint--reissue catalogue en masse for individual artists.

JoshK

Yikes! I have 70 SACDs!
« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2004, 05:11 pm »
Quote from: Tbadder1
I have all the Dylans and all the Stones and a few extras.  I was so pleased with the two big collections I decided that's the approach I'm going to take.  I hope the companies get the hint--reissue catalogue en masse for individual artists.

Wish they would reissue all the Pink Floyd albums on SACD pronto.

MaxCast

Yikes! I have 70 SACDs!
« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2004, 05:15 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
Quote from: Tbadder1

No $h!t, I'd about double my collection of the buggers.

pjchappy

Yikes! I have 70 SACDs!
« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2004, 07:05 pm »
Quote from: JoshK

<------------------  I'm w/ you.    :D  

p

SWG255

SACD Re-issues
« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2004, 12:02 am »
I wish I'd picked up the Dylan box set when BB had it for $160 right around Christmas time. I meant to, but didn't get to the store on time. I still would like to get it, but $200 is a little harder to swallow.

I also agree on the Pink Floyd SACDs, and I'm looking forward to the re-issues of the Allman Brothers "Eat A Peach" and "..Philmore East" discs, not to mention the rest of the pre-Gaucho Steely Dan discs.

Now that I've had my SCD-1 modified, SACDs sound better than ever, but if it had reproduced red book sound as well as it does now, I might not have felt the need for SACD.

MorningMongrel

Yikes! I have 70 SACDs!
« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2004, 01:49 pm »
I am probably not an "Audiophile",it would seem.I do not own a single,whats it called-SACD?
The best sounds I have heard have been inlayed in black plastic.Pure analog.
SACD-HA!

Wouldn't buy something I already have, just due to an empty promise of better sound.Was conned like that once before.REMEMBER?

I AM MUCKING ABOUT,for the most part.However, I do think if the music industry got it so wrong in the first place,then they should reimburse or swap-out , for the screw-ups.Not charge people again.A great con.Dont go for it.

maxwalrath

Yikes! I have 70 SACDs!
« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2004, 02:39 pm »
If either Zeppelin or Pink Floyd release their collections on SACD I'll sell my DVD-A player.

SWG255

Selling your DVD-A player?
« Reply #13 on: 30 Apr 2004, 10:04 pm »
I am thinking that my next component purchase will be a Denon 2900 or 5900 and then off to ModWright for improvement. This is because i don't see a clear winner in the format war, except as has been suggested, vinyl.

The only problem with vinyl for me is that I've been there and done that. I don't want to go back to that much compulsive behavior again! :)

Quote from: maxwalrath
If either Zeppelin or Pink Floyd release their collections on SACD I'll sell my DVD-A player.