fill-in subwoofers

paba

fill-in subwoofers
« on: 20 Nov 2011, 07:44 pm »
Hi folks,

I guess my open baffles combined with my SET output transfers means that below 50Hz things are a little thin.
I was thinking of adding two small low cost active subs hidden behind my OB panels just to add a little content below 50Hz... looking for suggestions, even if they need cabinet re-enforcement because they are cheap, I don't need huge SPL either this is for music and SET levels. Would two 8'inchers do it, or do I have too look at two 10s, 12s, etc..
I'm open to discontinued, end of line, refurb's ,DIY, anything to keep it below 150 each if possible.
Need two identical ones of course.

thanks for the guidance
paba

mcgsxr

Re: fill-in subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2011, 11:03 pm »
There has been a lot of experimentation with OB mating with subs of different configuration.

If it were me, I would start with a single sealed 8-10 inch sub for music.  No real need for stereo bass below 100Hz.

I would see if you can trim out the bass from the mains too, if you can Xover around 80-100Hz to a sub, I think you may experience better low mids from the OB mains.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2011, 11:07 pm »
OB sub.  Gr research sa1 amp with a woofer. :wink:

paba

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2011, 03:02 pm »
Thanks mcgsxr,

I was thinking two, only because I figured that two small ones might provide the same bass as 1 larger one (within reason) and be less expensive and easier to hide, not so much for the stereo bass. I agree sealed was my first choice if possible too.

I had not thought about high-passing the mains , interesting I'll give it some thought.

thanks
paba