Zenith DVB 318 HD DVD player

Jon L

« on: 28 Apr 2004, 08:59 pm »
Guys, check out the 50+ page thread on AVSforum.com on this player under "DVD player."  

This thing upconverts DVD's to 1080i ("HD") over DVI AND component, and a reviewer reported that the component 1080i looks better than its DVI 1080i.  The 1080i component is reported to be as good/better than Bravo D1 via DVI and better than Panasonic RP82 component.  

There's reports just coming in from early adapters that the sound quality is very good as well.

All this for $160 to $199 shipped.

There's some sense of urgency b/c so far all the other DVD players that upconvert to 1080i via component has been pulled from market or discontinued b/c DVD consortium does not allow HD upconversion for regular DVD's.  So get it while you can!

Ears

« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2004, 01:16 pm »
Got mine yesterday and it does upconvert macrovision protected dvd's through component. at 1080i
I am using it whith a soon to be upgraded x1 pj and on reference discs like Pitch Black, Fith Element SB and Sea Bisquit it is 10-15% better picture than my Denon 5900 or my recently modded for progressive Phillips 963sa.

It has decent sonics and is almost the equal of the 5900 for movies but not even close to the fully modded 963sa for movie sonics and I will not even bother comparing analog outs to the 963sa or the unmodded 5900.

The 963 and 5900 were compared at 480p as I have no dvi connection yet.

I am going to get a better pj before deciding which two players to keep but for 200.00 the 318 is a steal if you need 1080i through component.
The dvi upconversion has been a mixed bag according to the thread at www.avsforum.com.

When I get the new pj in the next month or so I will apply the 1080i hack to the 963sa and compare the picture,if it is still not as good, the 318 will be getting full mods and I will sell the 5900 while the market demand is still high.

Greg

Jon L

got mine
« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2004, 08:34 pm »
Quote from: Ears
Got mine yesterday and it does upconvert macrovision protected dvd's through component. at 1080i
I am using it whith a soon to be upgraded x1 pj and on reference discs like Pitch Black, Fith Element SB and Sea Bisquit it is 10-15% better picture than my Denon 5900 or my recently modded for progressive Phillips 963sa.

It has decent sonics and is almost the equal of the 5900 for movies but not even close to the fully modded 963sa for movie sonics and I will not even bother comparing analog outs to the 963 ...

I just got my DVB318 yesterday also, hooked up to my GWIII 60 incher via component at 1080i.  My conclusion is that "upscaling" and "upconversion" does not improve things much in video, either (just like audio redbook CD's).  You just can't recreate info that wasn't recorded to begin with.

Having said that, good quality DVD's look fantastic, comparable or maybe even better than many movies over HBO HD or Showtime HD channels.  Zenith, however, falls quite a bit short when compared to "true" HD material on channels like PBS HD, Discovery HD.  Poorly recorded DVD's look poor even upconverted at 1080i, though much better looking than standard definition satellite broadcast.  

For my $160, I'm DONE with DVD players for now until at least second genration HD DVD players hit the market.  

Are you planning mods to audio section only?

Ears

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2004, 10:50 pm »
Jon
Most likely just the digital section. power supply and I am not sure if the dcdi is active at 1080i but if it is, the progressive board also will get modded whith Blackgates as it really helped the 963sa at 480p.

This will be for movies only and the 963sa will be relegated to 2 channel cd,sa-cd. unless of course the 1080i hack works as good as the 318.

I did notice some softness of picture much like in the HD recorded movies like AOTC and Once Upon a Time in Mexico have a somewhat soft look to them in some scenes on a good 480p player.

Whith no way of adjusting the x1 for sharpness ect while in 1080i mode this is a bit frustrating.

I have no doubt that true future hi def players will look better than any upconversion but for the small layout for a 318, it is a steal imho.

Greg

levesque

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2004, 08:47 pm »
Quote from: Ears
I am using it whith a soon to be upgraded x1 pj and on reference discs like Pitch Black, Fith Element SB and Sea Bisquit it is 10-15% better picture than my Denon

Strange. I have the LG 7832 (canadian counterpart to the Zenith) and on my JVC DILA HX-1U (3 chip LCOS) the 5900 is still in front of the LG. Color dynamics, sharpness, and color ''snap'' are all better on the 5900.

Maybe the resolution on the X1 can't fully show the differences. Using the full 1400X788 panel resolution on my D-ILA, the Denon was clearly better.

Ah. I just read that you don't have acces to a DVI connection. That's why. Keeping the path completely digital is making a remarkable difference on my projector. Better then 480p, and clearly visible. I can't believe you plan on keeping the player that gave you a "better" picture at 480p.  :o

I really think you should keep your 5900, particularly if you want to upgrade to a better projector. It's still the king of the hill PQ-wise. On a good projector, you can clearly see the differences. And BTW I did also try the Pio 59ai, and again the 5900 was better.

Surprinsigly, all the people that were there did prefer the LG to the Pio! But the 5900 was clearly the winner.

BTW, there is a reason why all the owners of projectors in the price range of the Marantz S3, Sharp 12K and JVC HX-1U are using the DVI connnection. Because it gives us a better picture.

Ears. It's not a "mixed bag". With a good digital projector, it's the way to go. I know, I did try it, and I have the display to see it and compare it.

Ears

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2004, 11:55 pm »
Levesque, the 318's dvi hookup as compared to the component upconversion is what I was reffering to as "A mixed bag" whith most users even whith a dvi connection preffereing the 318's picture via component out....or at least admitting it is equal to the dvi output while using the 318.

I will never spend more than 3-4k on a pj so it may be a while before I get to experience a projector that has the resolution of the elite pj's :mrgreen:

levesque

« Reply #6 on: 9 May 2004, 04:56 am »
The LG (Zenith twin) is better over component only because of the white crush.

I know that DVI is not the end all be all.

But the 5900 is the player to have with high-end projectors.

The minute something better will be out on the market I will gladly sell my 5900 and by this newcomer. But for now, with my projector, a player costing 1/5 of my projector price is the way to go for me.

The 5900 is the king for now. Even my high-end HTPC can't keep up with it. But with the money I spent on my projector, I want the BEST possible PQ, and the 5900 gives me that...

And my LG is the 2nd best in my house, but not far behind...  :D  :wink:

Ears. If you could just see what the 5900 can do on my projector... I'm sure you would reconsider your will to sell it...  :mrgreen: