Stepping up to DSLR

Dan Driscoll

Stepping up to DSLR
« on: 18 Nov 2011, 11:25 pm »
I'm about ready to dip my toes back into the SLR game again. I used a Pentax K-1000 for a long time, but it failed 7-8 years ago and I made the move to digital. First a small Nikon CoolPix 4500 P&S, and a few years later a Canon S3-IS superzoom. I also picked up a few lens adapters and filters for the S3 along the way. It worked pretty well for standard photos, but not as good for more challenging shots, particularly low light, flash-less photography.

After a lot of research I've narrowed it down to the Pentax K-r and the Nikon D5100. Both have top of class low light/high ISO performance. The Nikon is probably a slightly better camera and has better video capabilities, but it cost more and I would have to buy all new glass. I already have a pretty decent Pentax 50mm prime, a cheapie zoom and there are lots of reasonably priced K-mount lenses on the used market. The Pentax kit I'm looking at includes an 18-55mm and 55-300mm. Add in a wide angle and/or macro and I would be set.

If the budget were higher I would get a K-5, but unless I find an absolutely amazing Black Friday deal, it is just too pricey right now.

JohnR

Re: Stepping up to DSLR
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2011, 01:51 am »
Just as a point to note: with a 1.5x crop factor, your existing 50mm prime won't be the same lens you remember it being with the old film SLR.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2011, 02:15 am »
Correct, it will effectively be a 75mm with the Pentax, 80mm with the Nikon's 1.6 crop factor. But by the same token any edge distortion and other edge effects will also be cropped.

jvc

« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2011, 07:51 pm »
Correct, it will effectively be a 75mm with the Pentax, 80mm with the Nikon's 1.6 crop factor. But by the same token any edge distortion and other edge effects will also be cropped.
Dan,
Nikon has a 1.5 crop factor. Canon has the 1.6 crop factor, and shouldn't be any edge distortion until you get into ultra wide angle or fisheye lenses.