Hotel California Hi Rez

Kinger

Hotel California Hi Rez
« on: 18 Nov 2011, 11:33 am »
Does anyone know if the following from HD Tracks came from the DVD-Audio version of this album?  https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX603497941049

Had the opportunity to hear the DVD-A version this past weekend as was quite impressed with what I heard.  If the above is from the same master, I'm thinking it would be worth the DL price for me..........

Crimson

Re: Hotel California Hi Rez
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2011, 01:10 pm »
Don't know if it is or not, but it's very good. Funny thing, though, I'll occasionally get some clicks and pops when playing via Amarra, but not with Pure Music.

kingdeezie

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:34 pm »
Back when I had a turntable, I had the new 180g release on vinyl.

It sounded fantastic.

I keep seeing these great HDtracks releases, but I have an inherent problem with paying 18 dollars for a download only system.

Kinger

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2011, 04:46 pm »
This high rez stuff is so confusing at times.  See there are two versions of this album available one being 96 and one being 192.  Why the difference?  Is the source of each file different?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:47 pm »
Back when I had a turntable, I had the new 180g release on vinyl.

It sounded fantastic.

I keep seeing these great HDtracks releases, but I have an inherent problem with paying 18 dollars for a download only system.

I agree. If you can get new vinyl for about the same price as a HD download, why buy the HD? I suppose the convenience of digital might be enticing but it seems that HD is overpriced. It would seem that just the physical medium and artwork of vinyl might justify $18 but that price for just digits is too much. The HD download companies should drastically reduce the price of admission and pass some of the savings to the consumer. I don't see these companies getting beyond a very small specialized market unless they reduce the download price.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #5 on: 18 Nov 2011, 09:55 pm »
This hdtracks release, like many others from the WB and Universal catalogs, came from DVD-audio rips.  In some cases the sources are 24/192 and some are 24/96. I wouldn't buy an upsampled version.  Google the DVD-a version.

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2011, 10:38 pm »
I have The Eagles Greatest Hits double cd and the SQ is phenomenal, I use it as a reference at times. I imagine the hi-rez will be very very good.

.. I can't wait to get into this stuff. But later when I can afford the full Bolder treatment.

Kinger

« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2011, 11:42 pm »
Thanks for the help guys.

ted_b - I know you are one of the gurus around here when it comes to hirez.  Not sure I follow what you are saying though.  Are you saying I should get the 24/96 instead of the 24/192 or are you saying to google the DVD-A version to see whether it is 24/96 or 24/192?  Sorry, complete newbie when it comes to the hirez game.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2011, 12:18 am »
Kinger,
Thanks for the guru comment, I think.  :)

Yes, your second point.....see what the stereo layer of the DVD-A was spec'd at and buy that one.

Edit:  frankly I'd just buy the DVD-audio disc.  That way you get the multichannel layer for free.  :)
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2011, 02:02 pm by ted_b »

sfig

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:01 pm »
The bad news is a quick check on amazon and ebay have second hand Hotel California DVD audio discs starting at $67.

Kinger

« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2011, 06:11 pm »
Yep, EXACTLY why the HD Tracks downloads really are not all that bad price wise.  Now if I had a turntable, I'd gladly go after the vinyl version instead, but alas I'm still a ways off from being able to plunk down some money on a vinyl rig.