Home theater amplification - 5.1 for under $2k

Upstate

Home theater amplification - 5.1 for under $2k
« on: 18 Nov 2011, 12:43 am »
Greetings and hello,

I am new to this site as a user but have some read posts on here for a while. Lots of interesting posts and replies!

I am looking to expand my 2.1 channel system to a 5.1 in the next few months when I move to a bigger place. My question is this: what would give me the best bang for the buck for a preamp for a decent home theater? Currently I am running a 2.1 with an older Yamaha integrated amp and Selah Audio bookshelf kit and a kit sub. I have a pair of old Vienna Acoustics bookshelves I am planning to use as my surrounds. I may add a center channel when I get a surround amp.

It seems that there is a rather large gap in quality (and price!) between a generic surround receiver and separate components. I antipate my price range will be about $1000 and I would consider used gear if it were a reliable piece.

I am thinking that for amplification I could use a couple used power amplifiers.

Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Home theater amplification - 5.1 for under $2k
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2011, 03:52 am »
Welcome aboard Upstate!  Not to rain on your parade for your first thread, but as this is the Cheap and Cheerful circle you're a tad over the price ceilings for us and the thread may be better served on the Solid State circle.  However, you're not way over so lets leave it run for a bit and see if we can get some recommendations in under our $1,000 system price cap.  (We often cheat on that anyway, don't tell JohnR)  Perhaps the members can save you a chunk 'o change in the bargain.

My first recommendation for a preamp is pretty off base, but extraordinarily musical.  A Pioneer VSX D912 receiver that can be had for $100 on eBay.  I know what you're thinking, but it's been directly compared to separates costing thousands of dollars and easy trumps them.  Use the analog inputs and outputs, bypass the digital section (sucks horribly), best if used with shorting plugs on the unused inputs, turn off all the unused options in the menu, some have replaced the oem power cord with an IEC receptacle, I didn't, and listen to gorgeous, dynamic, sweetly toned sounds you can't get south of $2k.  The amplifier section can sound great with the right speakers (8 ohm nominal, benign phase angles, and over 90db sensitivity), but is so limited I usually recommend skipping it.  If you have speakers that fit the bill, try it, sounds bad with anything else. 

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:22 am »
"I am looking to expand my 2.1 channel system to a 5.1 in the next few months when I move to a bigger place. My question is this: what would give me the best bang for the buck for a preamp for a decent home theater"

The Emotiva UMC-1 is sale priced at $499 right now, a monster deal for a full featured beast. It would be my first choice.

http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm

get them while you can, basically.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:42 am »
You might consider an Anthem MRX 300 receiver for MSRP $999.  It sounds great, has all the latest home theatre features including Anthem ARC Room Correction and you could always add a used power amp later if you feel the need.

http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/a-v-receiver/mrx-300

Steve

firedog

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2011, 11:07 am »
http://classdaudio.com/products/complete-amplifiers-1/complete-6-channel-amp.html

slightly above your price range

see board details on site

Big Red Machine

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2011, 02:48 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle!

There are some excellent deals available on audiogon for used 5.1 receivers from Yamaha, Denon and others.  But, if you want to go separates, I highly recommend watching audiogon for a used B&K30 which can be had for much less than your budget.  One of the best deals on the used market with more features than you'll ever use.

Personally, my 7 year old Yamaha still works great.  It's all I need.

All the best,
Roy in TX  :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2011, 04:16 pm »
"I am looking to expand my 2.1 channel system to a 5.1 in the next few months when I move to a bigger place. My question is this: what would give me the best bang for the buck for a preamp for a decent home theater"

The Emotiva UMC-1 is sale priced at $499 right now, a monster deal for a full featured beast. It would be my first choice.

http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm

get them while you can, basically.

Could not agree more. Bang for the buck every which way you turn. Get an Oppo as well and be done.

charles
SMA

ptempel

« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2011, 05:27 pm »
If I were to do it over again, I'd go for Emotiva like Rclark mentiones above.  The UMC-1 7.1 surround processor and XPA-5 5 channel amp are about $1269.  Then that would leave a little over $700 for a decent set of speakers assuming you can stretch the budget to $2k.

WC

« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2011, 08:31 pm »
How many of you guys recommending the Emotiva UMC-1 have actually owned one?

I would read the threads on the Emotiva Forums so you know what you would be getting into first. It has some issues, which is why it is being clearanced out. :roll:

Jerrin

« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2011, 09:02 pm »
I've owned one and it sounded great.  I can honestly say I never had 1 problem with mine.  However, I also don't have cable, which some cable boxes have been reported to cause problems at times.

Long story short, if you don't mind calibrating yourself with a sound meter or external software, the UMC is a fantastic deal.

I do agree though, you should read some in the threads on Emotiva's website and see if it will be a good fit for you.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2011, 09:03 pm »
Ok, I don't know how I missed the 5.1 reference, but I did, senior moment.  This topic is best served in the HT circle.

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 18 Nov 2011, 09:33 pm »
They had some firmware issues a long time ago at and shortly after launch, but the issues have since been resolved. It would still definitely be my first choice if I were looking for a 7.1, fully feature preamp under a grand.

Another thing is Emotiva has THE BEST customer service bar none. Combine that with a five year warranty and I believe they give you either a 50% or higher discount, some large number, if you buy the UMC new and then in a few years decide to buy their latest model.

In terms if resale, I speak from experience, they're like Honda. High resale value and you barely blink and you already have offers.

At $499 its a no brainer.

orientalexpress

« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2011, 03:15 pm »
i sold most of my Hi end home theater Lexicon and Dac amp and got me an Onyko Tx1009,It's does everything i wanted and more/

lapsan

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2011, 11:12 pm »
i sold most of my Hi end home theater Lexicon and Dac amp and got me an Onyko Tx1009,It's does everything i wanted and more/
lapsan

Onkyo has an excellent lineup of home theater receivers, some very high quality with tons of features.  Smart move...  :wink:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2011, 06:56 pm »
THIS amp looks like a bargin.  :thumb:

Bob

EDIT: Although "Upstate" hasn't logged on since a few minutes after he posted that, and that was seven days ago.  :scratch: