BDP-1 control interface

gil99

BDP-1 control interface
« on: 16 Nov 2011, 05:01 pm »
Hi all,
Just place an order for a BDP-1 & BDA-1 with the green display to match my other Bryston components.  Would have liked the new blue led but opted to match my components (too bad we could not replace the existing ones).  While waiting them to arrived, I want to get what I need to get it running when its come in.  Looking at the differents options to connect the BDP-1 to be able to control it via my Ipod touch & mpod, I hesitate between using a wireless connection using a media bridge like the D-link DAP-1513 (& others) or going with the powerline kit like a D-link DHP-307AV (& other).  I am also considering going with the mancave option as James called it with an independant router.  I don't give much importance to be able to transfer file over the network to the BDP-1's drive as I think it would be much easier to disconnect the drive and connect it directly to the computer to copy file on the drive.  What are your prefered way of connecting your BDP-1 and the ones you have the most success with.  As far as the hardwired option, I prefer to avoid it (would be hard to run the wire).  Your feedback and experience would be very much appreciated.  Thanks

Gil

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: BDP-1 control interface
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2011, 05:29 pm »
Gil,

I have my BDP-1 hardwired as it was relatively easy for me to do it.

As for interfacing with the BDP-1...I use MPaD 75% of the time and Bryston MAX 25% of the time when it comes to listening.  All of this is carried out exclusively on one of the iPads floating around the house.  I use a desktop computer when performing administrative tasks (BDP-1 updates, music transfers, etc...)

I have (2) 2 TB external HD's connected to the BDP-1 and find it much easier to transfer music over the network instead of doing the "HD shuffle".  Disconnecting from the BDP-1, connecting to my desktop, transferring files, disconnecting from the desktop, re-connecting to the BDP-1, and reading in the new music is just too much work - especially since I add new music pretty much weekly.  Of course, YMMV.

George

mr_bill

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2011, 09:48 pm »
George,
Are you able to 'see' the hard drives (attached to the BDP-1) from your desktop in order to move files to the hard drives?  Are the hard drives accessible via the wireless network or via ethernet?

I hope I described this right!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2011, 10:36 pm »
George,
Are you able to 'see' the hard drives (attached to the BDP-1) from your desktop in order to move files to the hard drives?  Are the hard drives accessible via the wireless network or via ethernet?

Yes, I see them as shared drives from my desktop.  I simply drag and drop or copy/paste.

I am running a wired config, but it shouldn't matter.

George

JfTM

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2011, 10:50 pm »
George,

I'm connected WiFi and I can "see" the drives attached to the BDP.

I'm in a Windows environment.

mr_bill

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2011, 11:15 pm »
Yes, I see them as shared drives from my desktop.  I simply drag and drop or copy/paste.

I am running a wired config, but it shouldn't matter.

George

Thanks George,
One follow up on how the desktop sees the hard drives.
Is the BDP-1 wired and thus you can see the hard drives because the BDP-1 is ethernet to network or are the hard drives hooked up to the network on wireless?

JfTM

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:08 am »
Thanks George,
One follow up on how the desktop sees the hard drives.
Is the BDP-1 wired and thus you can see the hard drives because the BDP-1 is ethernet to network or are the hard drives hooked up to the network on wireless?

Hey Mr Bill

My set up is wireless (wifi) and it works fine.

gil99

« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:11 am »
I'm connected WiFi and I can "see" the drives attached to the BDP.

I'm in a Windows environment.
What do you use with your BDP-1 to be wireless.  My computer also run with Windows (Vista).

Gil

JfTM

« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:12 am »
Just to be clear, the drives are wire connected to the BDP through USB.  The BDP is connected to my network wireless (wifi).  So I see the drives from my computer as drives on the BDP.

JfTM

« Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2011, 01:14 am »
I bought a TRENDnet TEW-654TR from amazon.ca; cheapest for me.

gil99

« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2011, 02:36 am »
I bought a TRENDnet TEW-654TR from amazon.ca; cheapest for me.
So if I understand correctly, your trendnet is connected to your Bdp-1 through the ethernet connector so you dont have any wire between the BDP-1 and your computer.  If so, was it easy to configure the Trentnet to communicate with your computer.  Thanks.
Gil

JfTM

« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2011, 02:39 am »
So if I understand correctly, your trendnet is connected to your Bdp-1 through the ethernet connector so you dont have any wire between the BDP-1 and your computer.  If so, was it easy to configure the Trentnet to communicate with your computer.  Thanks.
Gil

That is correct.  The Trendnet is connected to the ethernet port on the BDP and wireless to my telco supplied router.

It wasn't straight plug and play, but the instructions were easy to follow; biggest issue was keying in the security code for the router correctly.

gil99

« Reply #12 on: 24 Nov 2011, 04:34 pm »
Thanks all for your feedback.  I might try to go wireless between the BDP-1 and my router.  For those who used that way , were you able to configure it to be working without any assistance.