Panzerholz Plywood (can you get it in the U.S.?)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Panzerholz Plywood (can you get it in the U.S.?)
« on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:04 am »
Hey fellas.
I'm looking for some of this plywood (price dependent), and wondered if y'all could help a guy out.
A fellow audio guy came to my house last week, and mentioned "Panzerholz Plywood".
I had never heard of it, but a quick Google search yields a BUNCH of results, most of which are audio related, and most of those were turntable related.

How about these attributes for a piece of plywood:
- Extremely high density (it sinks in water).
- High strength (is used as a metal substitute).
- Is bulletproof. (rumor has it, that it was used in German tanks for armor plating)  :icon_twisted:

> HERE'S < an article I found.

With the vastness of AC, I was hoping for a lead on where I could get some of this.
Thanks dudes.    :thumb:

TomS

Re: Panzerholz Plywood (can you get it in the U.S.?)
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:08 am »
Bob,

Are you building your own tank now? :lol:

My brother works for a wholesale very high end plywood supplier in Dallas. I'll ping him and get back to you if he knows anything about it.

Tom

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:15 am »
I was either going to build a tank, or maybe an entire house. You know, that whole zombie apocalypse thing.   :lol:

Actually, the stuff looks so neat, that I'd like to use it in a future project. Either something for myself, or something somebody else has me build for them. I love the Russian (Baltic Birch) voidless stuff so much, I figure this Panzerholz would be like orgasmic to work with.

Plese let me know what your brother can find. Thanks Tom!  :thumb:
Bob

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:31 am »
Nice find Bob, that stuff looks cool! Imagine how heavy a speaker cab would be made from that!!  It's about 150 pounds for 4x8 sheet of 3/4"

Here's the N. American distributor, in Canada, near Toronto:

http://www.delignit.de/canada/delignit/products/delignitproducts.html

Edit: re-reading your subject I guess you already know about the importer and looking for a US seller...

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:42 am »
I was either going to build a tank, or maybe an entire house. You know, that whole zombie apocalypse thing.   :lol:

Actually, the stuff looks so neat, that I'd like to use it in a future project. Either something for myself, or something somebody else has me build for them. I love the Russian (Baltic Birch) voidless stuff so much, I figure this Panzerholz would be like orgasmic to work with.

Plese let me know what your brother can find. Thanks Tom!  :thumb:
Bob
He said he'd check with the veterans at the office tomorrow so I'll let you know.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:32 am »
This would make a great OB baffle...plus the name is great!  Panzerholz?  Are you kidding me?  That is great!!!!  Nice find, Bob....

John

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2011, 12:59 pm »
Thanks guys.  :thumb:

Rich, I didn't know they were looking for a US seller.
Does that mean I'm S.O.L.?  :(

Thanks again Tom!  :D

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2011, 01:51 pm »
I was sent a link to some neat wood called "Pin Blocks", it's used in the making of pianos. Read the description!
Link here: http://www.vandaking.com/s-490-delignit-beech-pin-block.html
Sizes are a bit limited though.

From what I've been told, buying anything that's considered bulletproof raises the eye of Big Brother and puts your name on a list somewhere.  :roll:

Bob

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2011, 02:26 pm »
Bob, I'm sure some of our Canadian friends could smuggle some across the border late at night disguised as truck bed flooring.  Put boxes of Canadian-sourced cheap medication on top, and the customs people would never catch on.  Better yet, find an AC member who works for customs and offer to build some OB stands for him.    :nono: :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2011, 02:34 pm »
 :lol: Great plan Bob, I love it!  :thumb:

srb

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:10 pm »
You could also consider one of the "green" paper-based (FSC or Recycled) fiber composite materials such as

Richlite
http://www.richlite.com/

or

PaperStone
http://www.paperstoneproducts.com/

Available in a variety of colors, the color is consistent throughout the product, so if a wood grain is not needed, no finishing would be required.

A 3/4" 4' X 8' sheet of Richlite weighs 157 lbs.  Bring your carbide saw blades and router bits.

Steve

WGH

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:14 pm »
I too was wondering how Richlite would stack up compared to Panzerholz? Both have resin impregnated layers of cellulose. Richlite works very well glued inside of traditional speaker cabinets as a resonant control layer.

Wayne

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:17 pm »
Hmm..Interesting. There are more options than I thought.
That Richlite looks like shale.

Bob

srb

« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:35 pm »
That Richlite looks like shale.

I haven't used it, but I have a few samples that I was considering for a countertop.  You can't actually really see the layers as depicted in that photograph.  It's quite hard and solid.  Here's a photo of a piece with a routed edge:

Steve

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:34 pm »
You could also consider one of the "green" paper-based (FSC or Recycled) fiber composite materials such as:

PaperStone
http://www.paperstoneproducts.com/

Available in a variety of colors, the color is consistent throughout the product, so if a wood grain is not needed, no finishing would be required.

A 3/4" 4' X 8' sheet of Richlite weighs 157 lbs.  Bring your carbide saw blades and router bits.

Steve

Bob, we've used Paperstone for exterior siding on an experimental solar house, as well as on kitchen and bath countertops. If you swing down my way I might be able to get you in the house to show you. maybe even find a left-over piece.  Yeah, the color is the same throughout, but it is NOT immune from fading.  I may have some photos of it I can send you.

Bob

srb

« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:46 pm »
Yeah, the color is the same throughout, but it is NOT immune from fading.

Did you also experience fading on the interior PaperStone pieces?  I have seen a 5+ year old Richlite countertop that looked much like a new sample.

Steve

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:51 pm »
Yep.  And the fading was not 100% consistent.  More of a weathering that added character, to be kind.

In these shots the siding was less than a year old.

face

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2011, 05:40 pm »

From what I've been told, buying anything that's considered bulletproof raises the eye of Big Brother and puts your name on a list somewhere.  :roll:

Bob
What about all those who've purchased Clearaudio tables?  :D 

Too bad it appears difficult to get your hands on.  Have you considered bamboo?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2011, 06:06 pm »
This is turning into a great thread.  :D

Steve and Bob, thanks for the pictures of the countertop and solar house. Most informative.
Having recently done a project with the Russian voidless plywood, I was looking forward to endgrain of the Panzerholz. Just looked like a fun project.

I suppose the Richlite could be painted, or veneered though?

Face, Bamboo doesn't "do it" for me, but I have thought about "Plyboo". That stuff looks interesting.
I guess I have an overwhelming desire to torture the tools in my workshop with this type stuff.  :lol:

Bob

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2011, 06:28 pm »
Crap, Bob!  If you need a winter shop project I'll bring you the rotted carcass of my VPI record cleaning machine (fluid leaked) and you can rebuild that!!!!!

But you have to do it before Dec 14th when I go in for more surgery.  Just think!  College bowl games with the sound off, and spinning tunes!  Doesn't get any better than that.

Oh, and I'd like some nice shrubbery around it, too.   :thumb: