New Dodd Audio Generation Two Battery Pre Amp in the Mail

SoCalWJS

Re: New Dodd Audio Generation Two Battery Pre Amp in the Mail
« Reply #40 on: 23 Nov 2011, 10:21 pm »
The preamp is home!

In person this unit looks so much better than any picture could show to you.  The down side is that the warehouse person that received the outboard battery for the preamp went home before I could get it from her.   I have the C-Tek battery charger and the preamp but no battery.  I was tempted to break into the warehouse last night.

I started to clean out the rack and get ready for the install.  I did find a few CD's I thought were lost to the universe. 

So close yet so far!
Well??????

Any luck?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #41 on: 24 Nov 2011, 08:29 pm »
Short report! I can't believe how great the system sounds.  What Gary's preamp does is fantastic.  Backuped with some serious juice from DAC I'm in heaven.  But wait there's more.  The preamp is breaking in.  I gotta make the gravy.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #42 on: 25 Nov 2011, 06:32 pm »
Glad it got there! Hope you can manage to get some good listening time in. I'd be tempted to just loop a CD for the weekend if you can manage. Report back with listening impressions.
Congratulations!

Cheeseboy

« Reply #43 on: 28 Nov 2011, 03:41 pm »
Still on the breakin rollercoaster. 

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #44 on: 29 Nov 2011, 04:20 pm »
Are there any advantages of the latest battery pre over the older the original version that I own?

I'm currently using gold lion 6922 and have a couple amperex pq 7308 white label coming. Can't wait to see how these nos 7308's sound.

Here it is.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the 7308's.  I've got the same preamp with 6922 Amperex PQ's in mine.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #45 on: 30 Nov 2011, 06:09 pm »
30 breakin hours into it and the whole thing sounds muddy right now.

I'm not sure how long the battery would last if I just went for a cd playing while I'm at work?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #46 on: 30 Nov 2011, 07:41 pm »
Good news!  I received a response to inquiry from Mr. Dodd and I can just leave the charger on the battery and play out the breakin.  Awesome news!  I watched iRobot in stereo last night.  Holy Cow the LS6 can really play the low notes. 

Thank You Mr. Dodd and Tommy from DAC!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #47 on: 30 Nov 2011, 10:27 pm »
Burn that baby in! (.......muddy isn't a very good description for nice new equipment...... :()

LarryB

« Reply #48 on: 30 Nov 2011, 10:35 pm »
Unless you're listenign to this:

:)

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #49 on: 30 Nov 2011, 10:36 pm »
Don't forget to put a decent tube in it before critical listening.  Gary knows that his customers usually immediately put a tube of choice in, so he includes a "value" tube- something to make it play, but something that gets replaced quickly.  Although the 6H30DR is the consensus tube of choice, there are lots of good 6dj8 types out there that do a great job as well.  The Amperex 7308 is a good one. Even the inexpensive JJ 6922 is a nice choice @ $12.
http://www.tubedepot.com/jj-e88cc.html

Cheeseboy

« Reply #50 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:30 am »
What tubes are you running in this package?

"Custom Dodd sabre32 battery powered Speakers"

It's out of you system profile........................  Just messin with you.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #51 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:31 am »
Burn that baby in! (.......muddy isn't a very good description for nice new equipment...... :()

I'm being way too critical. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #52 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:51 am »
What tubes are you running in this package?

"Custom Dodd sabre32 battery powered Speakers"

It's out of you system profile........................  Just messin with you.
It's a swarm! 32 speakers placed all around the room, all battery powered! 
Seriously, thanks for bringing it to my attention.  When you type in the blanks for your system, it isn't all run together like it is after you hit "enter".

Are you running the stock tube that Gary sends out with the new Battery Pre?  I think it's one of the russian 6nXX types, but I'm not sure.  I rolled about 6 pairs through my Original Battery pre, and each pair had a noticeably different character. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #53 on: 1 Dec 2011, 06:14 pm »
Gary and I spoke about upgrading the tube based on the speakers and the room they are in.  He knows the speakers well and has had them in the Dodd Cave for an extended period of time.  He did the upgrade I just don't remember what it was.  As you know the LS are highly resolving and bass potent.  My room is a little bright with a sloping ceiling from 10 foot to 18 foot..  We talked about mid range sweetmness and accomodating the speakers and the room.  I'll find out what is under the hood.  We did our best guess not knowing how everything will sound after break in. 

I feel so stupid not remembering. 

I did remember to leave the house with the system playing off a movie channel on the cable box so it would have the whole day to contribute to break in..

Cheeseboy

« Reply #54 on: 2 Dec 2011, 05:23 pm »
A 32 Speaker Swarm?  Isn't that a Bose 901? 

RPM123

« Reply #55 on: 11 Dec 2011, 05:49 pm »
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the 7308's.  I've got the same preamp with 6922 Amperex PQ's in mine.

You have a PM.

rpf

« Reply #56 on: 12 Dec 2011, 12:32 am »
Anyone know the gain on this Generation Two Battery Pre?

mboxler

« Reply #57 on: 13 Dec 2011, 05:10 pm »
Anyone know the gain on this Generation Two Battery Pre?

Gary said about 18db gain.

sahihe

« Reply #58 on: 13 Dec 2011, 08:29 pm »
Wow that's a nice looking preamp.

Does it have HT Bypass? It will be going between Denon 4311ci front LR pre-outs and the Sunfire Grand Cinema amp driving Martin Logan Vantage fronts. The other input to it will be db Tranquility DAC.

Thanks

Cheeseboy

« Reply #59 on: 16 Dec 2011, 04:07 pm »
I lost track of how many hours we put on this preamp.  We just stopped counting.  I officially declare that it is broken in and ready to rock.  The clouds have parted, the sky is blue and the hills are green.  Everything sounds rich and detailed. 

This is my first tubed preamp so I have to say it will be hard to go back to anything solid state.  I'm convinced I would be very hard pressed to find a combination that would exceed what I'm hearing today and not have to spend way over the $1500 invested in the Pre Amp from Dodd Audio and the power amp at $1800 from Digital Amp Company.  It is all there.  Remote, HT Bypass, User friendly tube rolling, beautiful wood, Control and power.  The Cherry picks up where the Dodd leaves off and delivers effortless command and control.  If you close your eyes and just listen the truth of it all the equipment just delivers the music as it should be.  Over the last couple of weeks I would find myself obsessing about how everything looks and nitpicking every note played.  Thank God that is over now..  I have been concerned that the line of Neo drivers in the LS6 would sacrifice warmth for detail.  This concern has disappeared. 

Tonight my favorite metal head is coming over for dinner.  This should be interesting!