Can iPod Serve as a Back-up

ajzepp

Can iPod Serve as a Back-up
« on: 14 Nov 2011, 01:32 am »
One of the reasons I bought the 160g iPod was because I, perhaps mistakenly, though it would serve as a back-up for my music files. Is this true or no? If I wanted to transfer my music to another computer, I downloaded a copy of iTunes to said computer,and then tried to sync my iPod, would the music transfer to the computer?

mcgsxr

Re: Can iPod Serve as a Back-up
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2011, 04:13 am »
I would guess no.

I bought a used iTouch that had some music on it.  When I sync it with my PC, all the music from the PC goes to the iPod, but not the other way around.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2011, 04:55 am »
Yes, syncing an iPod to a computer is a one-way operation.

If you have enough spare space on your iPod you can use it like a hard drive to manually copy the iTunes music folder and iTunes database files to it by checking the Manually Manage Music checkbox (and Enabling Disk Use) in the iPod summary tab when connected to iTunes.

How to use your iPod to move your music to a new computer

This will work with your model of iPod, but not the iPod Touch.

Steve

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2011, 05:13 am »
Yes you can, but nobody has really addressed the issue of if you SHOULD. by its very nature an iPod is something that is highly susceptible to data corruption.  You are toting it around constantly, bumping it, etc. all these things can cause files to quit working properly. Storage is so cheap! Just buy a 250 gig external hard drive. It'll cost you about $30-40 bucks.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2011, 06:27 am »
I have three iPods (Mini, Classic and Touch) and they have all been toted and bumped around frequently and I have never experienced file corruption or had files "quit working properly".

On the other hand I agree that an external hard drive is a good cheap backup and probably a better idea than using the iPod as a hard drive.  When your music library grows beyond 75+ GB, you won't have enough space on your iPod for a secondary library copy for transfer anyway.

In either case, moving an iTunes library to another computer will involve manually copying the library and database files (and first deauthorizing any purchased iTunes songs with DRM if you have any).

Steve

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2011, 07:21 am »
Thanks guys, much appreciated!

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2011, 08:20 am »
Thought you guys might be interested in this...in this example, there is no mention of having enough at least as much free space on the iPod as you have filled with music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwIG4-oJzdU&feature=related

Anyone ever tried this? Thoughts? Concerns?