New Kitties at Blackmore's house

Blackmore

New Kitties at Blackmore's house
« on: 12 Nov 2011, 03:52 pm »
Here's the newest members of the household.  :lol: (hey, marching season is over and I needed something to do in my spare time,)

I don't have names for them yet, but I will not be calling them Big P**** from the Sopranos.

I did do a little "declawing" of the 4-8 khz prominence (the hissy-fit range) with the Behringer, but I will not be publishing any measurements or waterfalls so don't ask.  One other upgrade may be Cat6 wire. The driver is a Lowther DX55 but all other construction techniques are proprietary. :wink:
Crossover is at 500 hz using 6 dB on the Lowther and 12 dB on the Consonance bass bins. 

I will be listening to a lot of music today.
Cat's in the Cradle
Cat Scratch Fever
Honky Cat
Black Cat
What's New, Pussycat
Stray Cat Strut
Alley Cat
Year of the Cat
Soundtrack to Cat People
Little Lion Man
Faster Pussycat.

Yes, I have lost my damn mind and you are welcome to come over and hear them anytime.  Or stage an intervention.  Whatever............

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
Re: New Kitties at Blackmore's house
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2011, 03:56 pm »
You have way too much time on your hands. . . . :icon_twisted:

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2011, 03:57 pm »
Hey Bob with your avatar, you should be the first to hear them.  See ya'

bside123

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2011, 04:30 pm »
Whoa Mark... :o looks like we really need to get you on a road trip...  :eyebrows:

steve k

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2011, 04:42 pm »
I'll bring my cat, Sadie. She'd have a ball. You really do need another hobby though.  :green: Maybe taxidermy?? See you at the Wind Symphony tomorrow.
steve

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2011, 04:49 pm »
Very cool Mark should I mod some headphones for them so they don't disturb you at night???? :thumb:

Blackmore

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2011, 04:57 pm »
Ed, I think the cocobolo Grados would look great on them.   :lol:

I don't suppose I need to tell you guys that they sound good.  No baffle Lowthers are pretty fun to play with and these are brand new, so we'll see how the break-in process goes.  In what has to be a monumental bit of immodesty and inaccuracy, Lowther states " On first hearing these new units, it will be difficult to believe that they can be further improved by this short "running in" period."  Guess they've never had to endure the Lowther break-in period.   :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

Din, you got pm.

Steve, see you tomorrow.  Should be an interesting concert.  Very difficult version of Variations on a Theme by Paganini.  We do have a Glenn Miller medley to sooth your ears after.

Scott F.

youravhandyman

« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2011, 05:03 pm »
Mark,
Thanks...thanks a lot.  My lady saw those and said she wants a pair now. :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

Blackmore

« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2011, 05:26 pm »
Matt, you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO welcome.  Anything I can do to help out.   They are kinda' cute, aren't they.  Just tell her you'll need to buy another amp, crossover, woofer section, interconnects, tubes, room treatment, etc.  That will get you off the hook. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2011, 05:39 pm »
Wow Mark. I have a visual image in my head of you giggling uncontrollably like a little school girl.
Trust me when I say that there's something wrong with you. 

Love ya man,
Bob  :wink:

vhiner

« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2011, 09:15 pm »

I guess this hobby has finally made you CATotonic, Mark.  :cyclops:

I can't wait to see chez Blackmore after you retire.  :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2011, 09:30 pm »
I f'in love P***y!  (sorry, too much time on imgur)

Blackmore

« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2011, 10:03 pm »
Been working on the crossover today.  Moved the notch filter down a little bit closer to 4K and am trying symmetrical 12 dB slopes.  A little bit better.

JoshK. Uh, yeah.... :thumb:

My real cats haven't noticed the pipe cleaner whiskers yet, but I may take them off tonight.  Don't want these becoming cat toys.

Joe_K

« Reply #14 on: 15 Nov 2011, 02:44 am »
Mark,

Those certainly are the cats meow! :lol:

Joe

Blackmore

« Reply #15 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:13 am »
Thanks Joe,
Got them playing "Wood" by Brian Bromberg and they're shaking the house. Highs are a bit better than the PM6A in the no baffle.  I'm going to keep these running for a few weeks then see how they turn out.  I have to say they make me smile just looking at them. All the ladies at work want a pair! 

vhiner

« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:47 am »
Thanks Joe,
Got them playing "Wood" by Brian Bromberg and they're shaking the house. Highs are a bit better than the PM6A in the no baffle.  I'm going to keep these running for a few weeks then see how they turn out.  I have to say they make me smile just looking at them. All the ladies at work want a pair!

You're showing the "ladies at work"?  That's either a really bad idea or you may have discovered a whole untapped audiophile target demo....single women who love cats.  :duh:

dwarfed centipede

« Reply #17 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:00 pm »
Wow, I think we may have a competitor for sounds by design now.  You should try to put a santa costume on the kitty's for Christmas.

Blackmore

« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:10 pm »
Good idea, Leo.  I'll be showing the Christmas collection soon and maybe something flowery for the spring line. 

MerRev

« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2011, 08:57 pm »
I love it Mark!!!

Maybe the Grinch for your Christmas collection?       :xmas: