LFE vs active x-over.... sub stuff

randog

« on: 28 Apr 2004, 12:56 am »
While my sub cabinets are nearing completion, I need to figure out how to integrate them with my HT/2-channel rig.

My main question is this: are there additional low-frequency sonics sent through the LFE on the HT pre/pro than there would be going through the L&R mains if the pre/pro is set to 'no sub' and the mains to large?

I need to decide whether I need an active x-over device like the NHT X-2 with LFE pass-thru or whether to look at a Marchand unit and shitcan the LFE altogether, tricking the pre/pro into thinking my monitors and subs are one pair of large speakers. In this scenario, will HT LF suffer at all?

I don't know about the quality of the NHT unit but I trust the reports about the Marchand for 2-channel listening which is why I'm asking.

Thanks,
Randog

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2004, 01:08 am »
Randog,

I have the same issue you have...

You can go the Marchand route and just have two inputs that are toggled via a switch.  I talked to Marchand about this and it is a $35 option.

If I had enough money right now, I would most likely get an XM-44 with this option.

George

randog

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2004, 01:24 am »
Hi George,

I guess I'm confused about that. You need L&R inputs for the 2-channel, then another input for the LFE (2+1=3). Can they do it so when you flip the switch the LFE input goes directly to the outputs without going through the x-o circuitry? (the LFE is already low-passed by the pre/pro, right?)

edit: now that I think about it, why would you even need a switch if you had the LFE-in wired directly to the outputs (L&R) unless you are worried about back-feeding the circuit (?) <talking out my a$$ here>

Randy

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2004, 01:33 am »
Randy,

I misread what you wrote (cursing as the Yanks as losing again).

In my situation, I want to use my subs in my HT setup via LFE output on pre/pro AND in my 2 channel setup via L/R outputs on my preamp.

The switch would be thrown depending on which system is in use at the time.

As for your scenario...I think things would depend on your pre/pro.  What are you using?

George

randog

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2004, 01:40 am »
George, you read it right... that is exactly what I am trying to do. So basically, both inputs go through the switch. In one position, the 2-channel goes through the x-o and in the other position, the HT LFE goes directly to the outputs... right? Or, are you planning to actively x-o the LFE signal?

Still have the question whether HT will suffer if LFE is disabled at the pre/pro and the mains are set to large. Will any low-frequency be missing?

Also, why the Marchand XM-44? I'm still trying to figure out why Marchand has so many different products!  :scratch:

Go Oakland!  :mrgreen:

Chris

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2004, 02:11 am »
in theory setting your speakers to large and the sub to 'no' should be the same, as your pre/pro should correctly blend the LFE channel into the L/R channels at the proper levels. However, i think in practice it depends on the implementation by the specific pre/pro unit.

Your best bet is probably the Marchand with the LFE option. The Outlaw ICBM would also work, as it has a dedicated LFE input which bypasses its internal crossovers, however, i don't think you would find the ICBM to be transparent for 2-channel use.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2004, 02:17 am »
Quote from: randog
George, you read it right... that is exactly what I am trying to do. So basically, both inputs go through the switch. In one position, the 2-channel goes through the x-o and in the other position, the HT LFE goes directly to the outputs... right? Or, are you planning to actively x-o the LFE signal?

Still have the question whether HT will suffer if LFE is disabled at the pre/pro and the mains are set to large. Will any low-frequency be missing?

Also, why the Marchand XM-44? I'm still trying to figure out why Marchand has so many different products!  :scratch:

Go Oakland!  :mrgreen:

It can be done that way (more expensive than $35) or you can set the x-over on the pre/pro and feed that to the Marchand.

I don't think you will miss anything, but like I said before...this depends on the pre/pro.  What do you have?

From my research the XM-44 keeps coming up as the model people say to get.  I think a big part is the 24db/octave functionality.  

10-8 Yankees in the bottom of the 8th...Enter the Sandman!!

George

EProvenzano

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2004, 10:51 pm »
Hi, I thought I'd chime in here for some clarification...

Zybar, the XM 44 offers more than just 24db/octave slopes. Other models like the XM9 also utilize 24db/octave filters.
The XM44 can use 6, 12, 24, or even 48db/octave slopes. These can be used in symetrical or asymetrical configurations.  

If you want something with 24db slopes, and don't mind volume pots, you may want to consider the XM9. XM9's are also readily available on Audiogon, cheap$.

Cheers.