video sound?

Richard in Idaho

video sound?
« on: 11 Nov 2011, 04:16 am »
Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, but..

What is the best why to the audio from video sources, DVD/blu-Ray player, cable box, etc., into a stereo amp'preamp while sendind the video to the tv..
The only audio out on my LG tv is optical digital.

Thanks

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
Re: video sound?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2011, 06:41 am »
HDMI to TV (video)
Analog RCA to Preamp.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2011, 01:47 pm »
The only audio out on my LG tv is optical digital.
If you could avoid involving the audio aspect of your tv, you'd be much better off.
Just go from the source to the receiver.
Bob

youravhandyman

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2011, 03:18 pm »
Richard,
Are you saying that you are only running 2 channel audio?  Do you have a DAC in the chain? 

Soundtrackmixer

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2011, 07:46 pm »
If you could avoid involving the audio aspect of your tv, you'd be much better off.
Just go from the source to the receiver.
Bob

I agree. The problem with separating the audio from the video via different inputs and outputs is the audio and video can get out of sync because of the latency of the different processing in the television and receiver.

Richard in Idaho

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2011, 05:55 pm »
Richard,
Are you saying that you are only running 2 channel audio?  Do you have a DAC in the chain?

At this time I have a low end A/V receiver. Would like to up grade. Since I do not have room for surround sound and don't watch much tv thought why pay for more then two amp channels. Maybe a A/V pre with a two channel amp. 

youravhandyman

« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2011, 08:49 pm »
There may be a difference of opinion here but the A/V receiver is likely still your best bet to get good sound from movies on blue ray since it can digitally downmix to however your speakers are set up.  And this helps eleminate the sync issue that Soundtrackmixer voiced concern over. 
But it's hard to argue against your 2 channel asperations.  Maybe shoot for a higher end receiver or maybe a pre amp processor.  The Marantz is a heck of a piece for $1400 and lets you use any amp you like. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2011, 10:21 pm »
 :scratch: Maybe I misunderstood Richard's question, but when he said, "The only audio out on my LG tv is optical digital", tells me he's putting his TV in the audio chain. Like he's coming out of his TV, then into the receiver?

If I understand your question Richard, here's what I'd do:
Run the HDMI from your disc player into your receiver. Then the HDMI to the TV.
That should give get you what you're looing for.....I think? If we're on the same page.

Bob

Richard in Idaho

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2011, 10:52 pm »
:scratch: Maybe I misunderstood Richard's question, but when he said, "The only audio out on my LG tv is optical digital", tells me he's putting his TV in the audio chain. Like he's coming out of his TV, then into the receiver?

If I understand your question Richard, here's what I'd do:
Run the HDMI from your disc player into your receiver. Then the HDMI to the TV.
That should give get you what you're looing for.....I think? If we're on the same page.

Bob

No, I did that with my old analog TV and stereo receiver and it worked in that case.
I now have the DVD into a A/V receiver then hdmi from the receiver into the TV.
IF, I replace the A/V receiver with some type of stereo unit I will not have video inputs or optical digital audio inputs.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2011, 03:11 am »
I now have the DVD into a A/V receiver then hdmi from the receiver into the TV.
IF, I replace the A/V receiver with some type of stereo unit I will not have video inputs or optical digital audio inputs.
Ok, good....I have a few questions;
- When you're going from the DVD to the A/V, are you using HDMI?
- In the menu of the DVD and/or the TV, it is very possible there's a setting you need to turn on, to allow audio through HDMI.
- There are plenty of two channel units capable of doing the vid and opt inputs you mentioned, unless you're talking about something vintage.

Bob