What is the definitive BluRay for Star Wars set to buy?

Big Red Machine

There are several sets out and they have mixed reviews on quality and content.

Any recommendations on which to buy?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: What is the definitive BluRay for Star Wars set to buy?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2011, 06:03 pm »
I bought 3 and 3, found them used and did both for 50ish total...I have heard about different versions but am not concerned myself about that stuff. They all look excellent, the opening scenes in "Revenge of the Sith" with the massive battle in space is incredible...I watched that scene a couple times in a row...in fact all the opening sequences are stunning and the sound is excellent.

Sorry I couldn't direct you more about versions but the 3 (I, II, III) and 3 (IV, V, VI) are fine for me, no complaints!!! :thumb:

JDUBS

« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2011, 06:20 pm »
George Lucas destroyed them...I wouldn't bother. 

-Jim

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2011, 08:25 am »
As I understand it, the content is not as comprehensive as some would like in the more expensive box set and feel the DVD box set has the better content, so if you are unexposed to behind the scenes/extras stuff you'll want to get the dvd set as well.

I only bought IV-VI. I just can't spend the money on I-III

Empire looks F*cking Amazing on Blu Ray.

... wonder if there are any Blu Ray Phantom Edits in the works...

Mike Nomad

« Reply #4 on: 23 Nov 2011, 02:22 pm »
George Lucas destroyed them...I wouldn't bother. 

-Jim

Yeah, the OP is a trick question. The answer is the one that hasn't been released. George gets my money when he does releases that are true to the originals, without all the post-op BS slathered on. Same goes for THX-1138.

kip_

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2011, 08:11 pm »
The definitive set doesn't exist. The definitive set would have both the original and special editions of the films with seamless branching, but George Lucas is too obstinate and greedy to produce it.

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2011, 10:45 pm »
The definitive set doesn't exist. The definitive set would have both the original and special editions of the films with seamless branching, but George Lucas is too obstinate and greedy to produce it.

I honestly think he is so unwilling to acknowledge the important input others like producer Gary Kurtz and his ex-wife (along w/ screenwriter Kasdan) that he is going to keep altering the films until nothing remains of the dramatic elements that hold the films together.

And honestly it's not that I find his alterations of the originals to be terrible per se, it's the execution. It looks so fake CG and cartoony and out of place. If, say, Cameron or Peter Jackson/Weta did the same thing I am sure I would not be as bothered because they are brilliant at integrating effects and live action. Imagine how they would have redone Cloud City 8)

chrisby

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2011, 10:48 pm »
I honestly think he is so unwilling to acknowledge the important input others like producer Gary Kurtz and his ex-wife (along w/ screenwriter Kasdan) that he is going to keep altering the films until nothing remains of the dramatic elements that hold the films together.

And honestly it's not that I find his alterations of the originals to be terrible per se, it's the execution. It looks so fake CG and cartoony and out of place. If, say, Cameron or Peter Jackson/Weta did the same thing I am sure I would not be as bothered because they are brilliant at integrating effects and live action. Imagine how they would have redone Cloud City 8)

thanx for having the balls to say that - while the refreshing brilliance of Lucas'  early work and particularly his contribution to advancing the technical side of the art must be acknowledged,  AFAIC as a story teller he's never been in the same league as Spielberg, Cameron &  Jackson, to name but only a few of the mainstream

in other words, for me the Star Wars saga long ago lost the allure required to want to revisit in high definition or otherwise -  I can think of dozen fantasy/sci-fi/CG heavy films I'd rather spend any amount of money on, several of which would be by the above trio

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2011, 12:55 am »
I am satisfied with my DVD sets.
When Star Wars actually does have the original and later revisions side by side available, I might think about buying it on Blue Ray.

Agree with the original, back when was spectacular and groundbreaking.
The remakes just putz them up. The final three. well they are not horrible..  mostly.

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2011, 07:00 am »

thanx for having the balls to say that - while the refreshing brilliance of Lucas'  early work and particularly his contribution to advancing the technical side of the art must be acknowledged,  AFAIC as a story teller he's never been in the same league as Spielberg, Cameron &  Jackson, to name but only a few of the mainstream

in other words, for me the Star Wars saga long ago lost the allure required to want to revisit in high definition or otherwise -  I can think of dozen fantasy/sci-fi/CG heavy films I'd rather spend any amount of money on, several of which would be by the above trio

I was watching a documentary on Pixar on Netflix and they interviewed Lucas briefly because he employed some of the core pre-Pixar people. With that sort of glib matter-of-fact style he has he said he did not want to continue supporting them because it would have meant investing 30-40 million dollars and he didn't have the money - then the bastard giggled.

That's when Jobs came on board, even though he was losing 1 million a year on them.

Hm, Pixar or... Howard the Duck.

I think that says everything.

wushuliu

« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2011, 07:03 am »
d