Any hiFace owners using Anthem processor? Help!

Saturn94

Any hiFace owners using Anthem processor? Help!
« on: 10 Nov 2011, 01:08 am »
I've noticed a strange bug when using a M2Tech hiFace USB-S/PDIF converter to play 2 channel music (mp3, wma lossy, 24bit/96khz music files, etc.) when hooked up to my Anthem AVM20 processor and applying DPL IIx Music processing.

As Anthem owners know, you can define 2 different speaker configurations (Music and Cinema) and assign either to any input.  In my case the Cinema speaker configuration is set for a 5.1 speaker setup.  The Music speaker configuration is set for a 4.1 speaker setup (center channel OFF).

I have my hiFace hooked up to the AUX digital input on my AVM20.  The Music speaker configuration is assigned to the AUX input (again, center channel set to "OFF" or "NONE").  However, sometimes when playing music from my laptop via the hiFace, the AVM20, using DPL IIx Music processing, will output sound through the center channel.  It's as if the AVM20 is ignoring the Music configuration (4.1) setting and applying the Cinema (5.1) setting instead (I've verified in the AVM20's settings that AUX is indeed set to Music speaker configuration).  If I switch to another input, such as CD, then back to the AUX input, it seems to correct itself.  Other than applying the wrong speaker configuration sometimes, sound quality is great.

I'm thinking there's got to be something about the hiFace/Anthem combo that's causing this since my CD player/Anthem combo that I've used for many years has never exhibited this strange behavior (BTW, the CD input is also set to use the Music (4.1) speaker configuration).

Anthem suggested I check my computer sound settings to make sure they are set to 2 channel and not multichannel.  This doesn't make sense to me since whether the AVM20 is receiving a 2 channel signal or a mulitchannel one, it should apply the speaker configuration setting assigned to that input.

An Anthem AVM20 owner said he has had trouble using USB-S/PDIF converters because of the converters' high output level.  It seems to me that if the output signal from the hiFace was too high for the AVM20 to handle, that the result would be distortion, no sound, or something like that, not the bug I described above.  According to Anthem, the hiFace's high output shouldn't be an issue.  Like I mentioned, other than the odd bug mentioned, sound quality is great.  Am I wrong?  Could the high output from the hiFace cause this odd bug?

Any help is greatly appreciated.