Need Help Sourcing a New Tweeter

SteveRB

Need Help Sourcing a New Tweeter
« on: 9 Nov 2011, 06:30 pm »
Hello,

I have pair of 12" coax speakers with a blown tweeter. The tweeter is housed in a small 'can' steamed out from the centre of the speaker.

Any new tweeter will need to fit in the can... I need to find a 2 1/2" tweeter.

ny one out there got advice or perhaps even a replacement I can buy?

The speakers are a 12 Calrad model CR-12X:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/duganj/sets/72157603923102633/with/50601997/

Æ

Re: Need Help Sourcing a New Tweeter
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2011, 06:48 pm »
You might want to consider buying and replacing two tweeters, The chances of any substitute tweeter sounding and performing identical to the original tweeter are slim to none. If you want good stereo imaging, your right and left need to be well matched. If you can find an original replacement, by all means go for it.
I've built my own co-axials, unfortunately I cannot recommend anything old/vintage for your needs (I'm into newer stuff).

« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2011, 02:06 am by Æ »

SteveRB

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2011, 07:06 pm »
Thanks, I will be replacing both.

I am fine with going to new gear -- The mids sound so good with these speakers I'd love to get them up and running again.

My issues are just sourcing and matching a good quality tweeter to work with the woofer.

Æ

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2011, 07:51 pm »
Thanks, I will be replacing both.

I am fine with going to new gear -- The mids sound so good with these speakers I'd love to get them up and running again.

My issues are just sourcing and matching a good quality tweeter to work with the woofer.

Go over to PartsExpress. You might consider something like the VIFA OX20SC00-04
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-1002
How efficient (SPL 1w/1m) do you need the tweeters to be? Also you are going to have extreme difficulty finding any 16 ohm tweeters. To match sensitivities you are probably going to have to use 4 ohm replacement tweeters, unless you use some piezo tweeters.
Take a look at this ribbon tweeter.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=277-114

SteveRB

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2011, 08:23 pm »
Thanks,

The woofer is very efficient -- about 95 dB. I have never integrated a tweeter like this before. All my previous experience is with full range drivers...

SteveRB

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2011, 08:41 pm »
Go over to PartsExpress.
Take a look at this ribbon tweeter.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=277-114

That ribbon looks good...

Æ

« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2011, 08:49 pm »
Thanks,

The woofer is very efficient -- about 95 dB. I have never integrated a tweeter like this before. All my previous experience is with full range drivers...

Finding a 95dB tweeter small enough is kind of tough. I kind of doubt that the original tweeter was 95dB unless it just happened to be horn loaded and by the looks of it I don't see any horn loading.

You might have to do your own sensitivity measurements with an SPL meter. Manufacturers specifications aren't always accurate or reliable and there is often some confusion over the exact terminology. Sensitivity or Efficiency, 2.83 volts or 1 watt? And at what measurement distance etc. I've seen some manufacturers list their SPLs at one foot rather than one meter.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2011, 01:58 am by Æ »

Æ

« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2011, 08:51 pm »
That ribbon looks good...

It will sound good too. Way better top end than a "Full Ranger."

SteveRB

« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov 2011, 11:25 pm »
I agree that specs are loose at best -- I have an old brochure that states the sensitivity as 102 dB. But I've had it tested and it's closer to 95... I'm not too concerned with getting this 'perfect' on paper.

I would like to get a basic idea of a crossover before I order a tweeter. I believe that the tweeter that blew was around 3000Hz. But I think that was modified from the original.

The Beston looks like my best bet so far. Would you see any overly difficult issues with crossing over between the two: 50 year old 12" paper cone alnico, and a brand new round ribbon super tweeter...?

hdspeakerman

« Reply #9 on: 9 Nov 2011, 11:38 pm »

Vifa BC25SC55-04 1" Square Frame Tweeter
Brand: Vifa   |   Model: BC25SC55-04

Overview
Smooth-sounding compact soft dome tweeter with high output and response past 30 kHz. High-strength neodymium motor with heatsink fins.
Highlights

Polymer faceplate with recessed waveguide loading
    1" treated soft dome
    Neodymium magnet for high output and compact size
    Truncated faceplate permits optimal driver spacing
    Rear heatsink increases thermal management
    Frequency response extends past 30 kHz

Part #:      264-1024             Weight:      0.15 lbs.     

In Stock
List Price       $18.99
You Save       47%
Lifetime Tech Support       FREE
Special Price       $10.00
Part # 264-1024    Qty:  ea 
[Add Vifa BC25SC55-04 1]

Vifa BC25SC55-04 1
Vifa BC25SC55-04 1" Square Frame Tweeter

Smooth-sounding compact soft dome tweeter with high output and response past 30 kHz. High-strength neodymium motor with heatsink fins. The truncated faceplate helps this tweeter achieve optimum center-to-center driver placement in many baffle designs.

Specifications: • Power handling: 25 watts RMS/50 watts max • VCdia: 1" • Impedance: 4 ohms • Re: 3 ohms • Frequency response: 1,320-30,000 Hz • Fs: 1,320 Hz • SPL: 94 dB 2.83V/1m • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 2.75" x 2.125", Cutout diameter: 1.7", Depth: 1".
CHECK THIS ONE AT PARTS EXPRESS.  howard

SteveRB

« Reply #10 on: 9 Nov 2011, 11:49 pm »
What are the pro/cons of a dome versus a ribbon for this application?

Got to say I like the vintage gear because of the smooth sound and emphasis on tone. Also, one seems to get higher quality for lower prices. I was willing to pay up to $50 per tweeter, so I'm interested in the cheapest option.

Æ

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2011, 01:18 am »

Got to say I like the vintage gear because of the smooth sound and emphasis on tone. Also, one seems to get higher quality for lower prices. I was willing to pay up to $50 per tweeter, so I'm interested in the cheapest option.

Ribbon tweeters excel in the higher octaves, they are capable of going way beyond 20KHz, not that you/we can hear that high anyway.

With the Beston, 3KHz might be pushing it, especially since the recommendation for the Beston tweeter is 4KHz. If you want to crossover the Beston at 3KHz you probably should use a 4th order network.

If you really want to go low in frequency, you might consider finding/using a cone tweeter instead.

Dome tweeters typically have a lower Fs so they can be crossed lower than ribbons. Domes are better for use in a two ways where you would be crossing over at 1.5 or 2 KHz. Dome tweeters are seldom more than 90-92dB sensitivity. Whatever tweeter you decide to use, don't get one with a big flange, otherwise consider removing or modifying the flange.

You said the original crossover was at 3KHz, do you know for sure? Otherwise you'll have to figure it out.
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2011, 04:28 am by Æ »

Æ

« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2011, 01:34 am »

Got to say I like the vintage gear because of the smooth sound and emphasis on tone.

Emphasis on tone is "timbre." Unfortunately the more "tone" you have, the less accuracy you have.

A lot of vintage stuff has limited bandwidth, subdued treble.

Ideally, no loudspeaker should have a sound of its own. A loudspeaker is designed to reproduce sound/music, not produce it.

SteveRB

« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2011, 05:07 pm »
Thanks for all the info -- you've been very helpful. I'll do some measurements on the driver next week and figure out the best route. But I am much more confident I can get this working now. It would be nice to extend the range of these drivers with a more modern high-end.

Again, the driver really is excellent. I wouldn't go through the extra effort for a mediocre speaker.

Ideally, no loudspeaker should have a sound of its own. A loudspeaker is designed to reproduce sound/music, not produce it.

I have had the fortune of living with a few very transparent speakers and systems. They were quite revealing and intriguing. However, I always have the most emotional reactions to speakers that are less than linear.

SteveRB

« Reply #14 on: 26 Nov 2011, 02:33 am »
After a few weeks of looking around, I found this tweeter:

http://www.hifisound.de/oxid/oxid.php/sid/b18ec11750b2da3b48b6b21da21a95ec/cl/details/cnid/0b24125ba45646212.70455667/anid/0e44289c6c4b812b6.48058146/MIVOC-XGH-258-ALU.-SOFTDOME/

This Mivoc tweeter looks to be a direct drop-in with a suitable sensitivity. I am unfamiliar with the brand; anyone with direct experience with Mivoc?

Æ

« Reply #15 on: 26 Nov 2011, 03:37 am »
This Mivoc tweeter looks to be a direct drop-in with a suitable sensitivity. I am unfamiliar with the brand; anyone with direct experience with Mivoc?

Looks like a nice tweeter. How do you figure a "direct drop-in" replacement? Are you good at reading German? Is it the same dimensions, same physical size as the tweeters you are replacing? Direct drop-in refers not only to the performance, but also to the physical dimensions.

SteveRB

« Reply #16 on: 26 Nov 2011, 03:46 am »
I found the tweeters specs on a few different sites. Here is a matching tweeter but with different material housing.

http://www.mivoc.com/downloads/de/mivoc/PDF/HGH258FN_Datasheet.pdf

It appears to be near exact physical size and the parameters seem broad enough to cross with a lot of drivers, as well, high sensitivity.

I'm planning on a few more measurements of the 12" woofer they will be working with -- but I think I'm leaning towards this tweeter or the ribbon posted above... Unless anyone has a real deal breaker opinion.

Æ

« Reply #17 on: 26 Nov 2011, 06:49 am »
I'm planning on a few more measurements of the 12" woofer they will be working with -- but I think I'm leaning towards this tweeter or the ribbon posted above... Unless anyone has a real deal breaker opinion.

Let us know how it turns out. Take some pictures too.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #18 on: 18 Jan 2012, 02:10 pm »
Sorry I didn't see this thread before. If you're still looking for tweeters you might have some luck here:
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/horn-tweeters/