Reflection On A Comment About Electrostatics

BruceSB

Reflection On A Comment About Electrostatics
« on: 9 Nov 2011, 02:38 am »
When I was at the Audio & AV Show a couple of weeks ago I had an interesting conversation.
I have reflected on that conversation of the intervening weeks.
Here is the comment & my reflections.

I was in the room demonstrating the big maggies.
It was just after the show opened and the dealer & I were alone in the room.
I had a good listen and remarked how good they sounded.
We got talking about my acoustat spectra 22s and the very lengthy demo I had a number of years back of the quads.
I remarked that they were really very similar to my acoustats and that any differences could well have been explained along the lines of differences in the amplifiers & sources.
He replied that he thought that "all electrostats sound very similar".
I have reflected on that comment for the last couple of weeks and I am sure that he is right.
As I consider the stats that I have heard down through the years, that seems to be the case.
I am not really thinking about the "amount" of base because that is not really an essential part of the "sound", especially when people don't demo deep organ music or base heavy rock on planars.
It is all about the mids & highs, and there seems to me, as I reflect on this guys comments, that he is right.
The "sound" that he is referring to is, I guess, at its most basic level, the absence of a cabinet and crossovers making their "contribution" to the music.
There is probably also probably the direct sound and its dipole nature making an influence.

Has anyone else reflected on this phenomena?
Has anyone got any comments to make on this matter?

josh358

Re: Reflection On A Comment About Electrostatics
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2011, 02:56 am »
I've noticed, and I'm sure others as well, that speaker types tend to have characteristic sounds, which might broadly be divided into dynamic, horn, planar magnetic, ribbon, and electrostatic, with some esoteric technologies like plasmas in their own categories. That's hardly surprising since the designs tend to be constrained in different ways. Forex, all planars lack enclosure resonances, which lend all but the best boxes a "boxy" quality. Dipoles interact very differently with the room than monopoles (actually monopole/cardiods, since the radiation pattern changes with frequency). Line sources very differently from point sources. Electrostatics tend to be very fast and have extremely low distortion at moderate levels; they're more revealing of sources than anything except plasma. Ribbons and then planars tend to follow in that regard. Stretched Mylar diaphragms have a "mylar sound" caused by traveling wave resonances within the diaphragm, while dynamics suffer from cone breakup. Etc., etc.

So anyway, I think you're right, there are pronounced family resemblances, although some of the less common designs can blur them, e.g., a dipole dynamic like Linkwitz's won't have box resonances and will interact with the room somewhat like a planar, a dynamic line source will have some of the characteristics of line source planars, etc.

kevinh

Re: Reflection On A Comment About Electrostatics
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2011, 04:50 pm »
While there are certainly differences between Estats, there is a sound that Stats have.

I agree with Josh that each 'type' of speaker has a 'sound'.

Lack of enclosure is a big difference as is the low mass of the Mylar diaphragm. The loading and restorative forces needed to control the diaphragm.