GK1 valve function

andrewbee

GK1 valve function
« on: 3 Feb 2003, 12:13 am »
Hello Hugh,
I was wondering what function the valve serves in the GK1.
Is it the voltage amp with the SS devices as current amps or a buffer,
is it there to add some H2?
I saw somewhere, on your site I think where you described the
GK1 as a solid state pre with a tube.
Also is the stage 2 with phono available yet?

Thanks

Andrew

AKSA

GK1 valve function
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2003, 12:39 am »
Hi Andrew,

Nice to hear from you - how are the Caymans?

Is it the voltage amp with the SS devices as current amps or a buffer, is it there to add some H2?

The voltage amplification is SS, the tube is a highly tricked CF, designed as the output stage.  CFs can be made to sound very good indeed, but great attention must be paid to biasing, plate voltage, supply characteristics, and load resistor.  And yes, it does indeed add a metered amount of H2 and H3.

A great advantage of CFs is the ability to drive long, reactive lines, so this works very well indeed.

I saw somewhere, on your site I think where you described the
GK1 as a solid state pre with a tube.
Also is the stage 2 with phono available yet?

Yes, that's correct.

Sadly, the Stage 2 is not available yet, let alone the phono, I'm experiencing a lot of trouble source a few key parts.

But I'll let everyone know it's available when I've got the lot together.

Cheers,

Hugh

andrewbee

GK1 valve function
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2003, 01:14 am »
Thanks Hugh,
I see you have not forgotten me  :D

We are still here and enjoying the "winter" weather presently ~76F outside. Thats really nice cool weather for us !

So there you go again, upsetting the apple cart. SS for gain and a valve for output and configured as a CF at that!  :wink:

I am also using a CF but its all valve (triode connected EL84 output), wish I could say it's my design but alas no, I did a bit of tweaking though. Sounds very good, too much gain but  I can live with that, (maybe a little feedback would do the trick).
I have no idea why a CF is unpopular with some, perhaps it's the effort to get it right. I find them very dynamic, lively and clean, killer bass, plenty oomph to drive just about anything and low output Z. What else is there to ask for?
I will in all likelyhood get a GK1 stage 2 with phono when it is available so I am awaiting your annoucement re its availability.

Wishing you all the best.

Andrew