24 BIT Audio & Amplifier Limitations

Adarsh

« on: 27 Apr 2004, 10:15 am »
I have a Kenwood KA 59 Stereo Amplifer by the looks I would say it was manufactured in the early or mid 90s, sorry I have no real information on the unit.

I would like to know if this type of amplifier would be able to take advantage of newer audio formats such as SACD and DVD-AUDIO OR if there would be problems with frequency limitations or other factors and therefore not be able to deliver the better sound quality.

Thanks,

Adarsh

I'm asking about amplifers in general... :?:

WerTicus

« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2004, 04:44 am »
it is doubtful such an amplifier would have a suitable frequency response to reproduce the full range and dynamics available to you with the new formats.

its probably limited to output from 20hz to 20khz where as the new sacd has 2hz to 100khz encoded on it.  So that means its time to get a new amp :)

WerTicus

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2004, 04:46 am »
i did a search for that amp and couldnt find out if my presumed specs were true or not... but the above assumption is likely.

ghersh

« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2004, 05:01 am »
Quote from: WerTicus
it is doubtful such an amplifier would have a suitable frequency response to reproduce the full range and dynamics available to you with the new formats.

its probably limited to output from 20hz to 20khz where as the new sacd has 2hz to 100khz encoded on it.  So that means its time to get a new amp :)

so what is the purpose of getting the new ampliifer? to amplifiy ultrasonic frequencies no human can hear? the most you can achieve if to damage your tweeters.  

the fact that new media is capable of recording very wide frequency range is nothing more than the marketing gimmick and in general absolutely irrelevant. what's relevant about new formats is their higher resolution - 24 bits in case of DVD-A and something similar to delta-modulation in case of SACD. Nothing to do with frequency range. more to do with 'responsiveness' of your equipment (which is highly subjective anyway).

WerTicus

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2004, 09:26 am »
IT has been proven before that humans can not so much as hear but percieve higher frequencies and that these frequencies can interact to produce lower harmonics adding to the realism of the reproduction.

If you 'dont believe' thats great because it makes your tweeters and other hardware cheaper.

It is also why my stereo sound more real than yours but you dont believe it. so i dont suppose you care!

Gordy

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2004, 02:33 am »
Hello Adarsh,

I can readily hear the benefits of sacd with my Sony dv-500, a 1975 Marantz 2270 and Epos 3 mini's.  Not nearly to the extent as with my other set up but...  If ya feel there's enough sacd software out there of interest to you then go for it!  You can always fall victim to the disease and upgrade your amp/receiver at a later date.  Just my opinion.

Adarsh

Post From Adarsh
« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2004, 03:27 pm »
Thanks everyone for the help. I'm really not sure what to do with the amp now since SACD units are very expensive. I might just wrap it and store it way.

But this just a thank-you post.

Adarsh

Adarsh

Up And Running
« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2005, 01:30 pm »
At last I got my system running.

Kenwood KA-59 hooked to a pair of Sony SS-S90D speakers. I have no information about the power rating of these speakers, but by my standards they just blow me away. Can someone tell me what the "loudness" switch is for and also at the rear of the amp there are some power connections, what are they for?

Thanks

Adarsh

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 6 Feb 2005, 01:54 pm »
The "loudness" button is a type of bass boost circuit that compensates for the Fletcher-Munson Curve; that is to say that at low listening volumes, the ear doesn't percieve bass as well.  So the loudness control boosts the bass so it sounds full and punchy when you have the volume turned down.  Don't play the system loudly with the loudness button engaged!  Your amp only has so much power, and you stress your system when you boost + play the stereo loudly.

WerTicus, without dredging up the old debate about the audibility of sounds over 20k, I'd suggest that if he's got an inexpensive 10 year old amp, his speakers likely aren't new and spendy, either.  I'd wager a 10 year old amp is much more likely to reproduce sounds over the accepted range of human hearing than his Sony speakers are.

SACDs don't really have much of any content over 40k, and certainly none at 100k.  That extra bandwidth is used by DSD's noise shaping alogrithym to move noise out of bandwidth.  No transducer could hope to play a full scale sound at 100k, anyway! :o

Still, any excuse to buy new gear! :P   It would be a good idea to buy a new amp, as technologies have changed a lot over the last 10 years.  Where do you live?  SACD isn't really all that expensive, with universals starting at $150 and an actual Sony or Philips machine starting under $200.

Adarsh

« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2005, 01:56 pm »
also at the rear of the amp there are some power connections, what are they for?