"Dirty Electricity" Stetzer filters, anything more than some capacitors?

Folsom

Everyone here always wants it out of your speakers but... whether you believe it has an effect on health or not is another issue. Studies unfortunately seem to be popping up periodically showing that it does.

Anyone ever pulled one of these apart? Is it just a Felix filter? Is it a Neutral to Ground filter capacitor? I am wondering more about how you "remove" dirty power in any potentially different way than say with a power conditioner like Felix. Could the benefit of having such filters throughout the house be a reality? (Obviously you could forgo the CMC)

https://www.stetzerelectric.com/filter/

It all sounds a little like "magic" but humans that don't understand electricity see it as "magic" - and get shocked because of it - so I don't imagine this is all too much different. Then again who isn't trying to sell the best snake oil?

Folsom

If you Youtube "Dirty Electricity" tons of stuff comes up. What to even make of it, :scratch:.

The one thing I know... ANY florescent lit room makes me feel awful, especially the closer the light is to me. Does it have anything to do with "Dirty Electricity"? I got no idea.

Speedskater

• Kevin
While I don't think that your body is affected by any in home electrical fields, why do you think that the 120, 180, 240 etc. Hertz noise, more than the 60 Hertz fundamental?

Folsom

I got no idea. Some people believe that it is all about fluid in our body and how it flows... yeah blood flow is important but... It seems like people always want non-scientific body connections. Once in awhile maybe they stumble upon something though - that we can't or don't understand - since humans have been around longer than any kind of proficient body science I am sure there are a few things that do make some sorta sense. Granted for one person maybe something works, for another it doesn't.

It makes you wonder how can music be good for you, if frequencies are the problem? It would have to be more than just the frequency I would think?  :scratch: although Tesla supposedly said 50hz was not good for humans, in respect to EMF perhaps.

Æ

Everyone here always wants it out of your speakers but... whether you believe it has an effect on health or not is another issue. Studies unfortunately seem to be popping up periodically showing that it does.

Anyone ever pulled one of these apart? Is it just a Felix filter? Is it a Neutral to Ground filter capacitor? I am wondering more about how you "remove" dirty power in any potentially different way than say with a power conditioner like Felix. Could the benefit of having such filters throughout the house be a reality? (Obviously you could forgo the CMC)

https://www.stetzerelectric.com/filter/

It all sounds a little like "magic" but humans that don't understand electricity see it as "magic" - and get shocked because of it - so I don't imagine this is all too much different. Then again who isn't trying to sell the best snake oil?

"Dirty" electricity can be measured. If you have the proper equipment you can check the AC line for hash and harmonics etc.
Typically for a line filter to work, you have to be able to plug the offending appliance into the filter. I see no option of plugging anything INTO the Stetzer filters. Either that or a whole house filter. Pretty much everything man has ever devised is bad for you, it just depends on how much exposure you are willing to accept.

Folsom

I did notice that about the filters. They can only eliminate line noise. Line noise does affect whatever is operating, typically by amplifying it to some degree. Also the filters would stop the introduction of line noise from offending devices from entering into other devices. I guess the question is if the devices that create it also create big EMF fields, or if they big EMF field devices only respond to dirty power with dirty EMF fields and do not make it.

Hm oh well. Perhaps I have enough high voltage capacitors to try it out, but the only measuring device I have is my own head!

Æ

I did notice that about the filters. They can only eliminate line noise. Line noise does affect whatever is operating, typically by amplifying it to some degree. Also the filters would stop the introduction of line noise from offending devices from entering into other devices. I guess the question is if the devices that create it also create big EMF fields, or if they big EMF field devices only respond to dirty power with dirty EMF fields and do not make it.

Hm oh well. Perhaps I have enough high voltage capacitors to try it out, but the only measuring device I have is my own head!

Placing something like a .1uf bypass capacitor across the AC mains is fairly standard application, just make sure the cap is X or Y rated.

Folsom

Placing something like a .1uf bypass capacitor across the AC mains is fairly standard application, just make sure the cap is X or Y rated.

I put 4 of them together because I had them laying around. However I am going to use a large one of 25uf (found a $5 panasonic one on Digikey, X1 or 2 I forgot, but it is one its way). 20-30uf is what I read would be ideal by some sorta quaky individuals on some forum that had a long dirty power topic. Plus that is the most I am willing to spend to entertain the idea that there is something I clearly do not fully understand, but am subject too. I imagine this is all the Stetzer's are.

I could say a bunch about the effects on a stereo for how much to use, etc, but that is another topic.

Æ

I put 4 of them together because I had them laying around. However I am going to use a large one of 25uf (found a $5 panasonic one on Digikey, X1 or 2 I forgot, but it is one its way). 20-30uf is what I read would be ideal by some sorta quaky individuals on some forum that had a long dirty power topic. Plus that is the most I am willing to spend to entertain the idea that there is something I clearly do not fully understand, but am subject too. I imagine this is all the Stetzer's are.

I could say a bunch about the effects on a stereo for how much to use, etc, but that is another topic.

I don't know about using 25uF or 30uF other than maybe for Power Factor correction. But that is an entirely different discussion. You cannot just arbitrarily add any value of capacitance across the AC mains and expect it to work.

Folsom

Oh I wouldn't call it arbitrarily. There are reasons. The more uf the attenuation, with the more load there happens to be. This is another discussion that I am not really interested in getting into because I have been down it before. The proof of function is in the sound, not the arguing in theory.

Æ

Oh I wouldn't call it arbitrarily. There are reasons. The more uf the attenuation, with the more load there happens to be. This is another discussion that I am not really interested in getting into because I have been down it before. The proof of function is in the sound, not the arguing in theory.

Well, the sound is what matters, but I also think in terms of safety and practicality. And I'm not arguing any theory. The transmission and use of 60Hz AC is very straight forward, doesn't require any heated discussions. If you have a problem (dirty AC) that needs to be fixed, then by all means fix it. Get yourself a PI Audio MajikBUSS  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95067.0
A real solution to a real problem.

Folsom

I am happy to report that I have been sleeping better. I am getting much deeper sleep. Does it have anything to do with my "dirty electricity" filter? I don't know!

*Scotty*

Destroyer of Smiles., I don't understand where you put your capacitors. Did you put them on your incoming 240volt line in your breaker box. I also don't get the connection between dirty power in your house and sleeping problems. If your power wiring is in conduit in the walls the amount of radiated RF/EMI should be much lower than if you just have Romex in the walls.
The 60 cycle flicker that many AC powered fluorescent lights has causes people who are sensitive to have all sorts of problems and discomfort. Headaches are the most common complaint followed by eye fatigue. These problems go away if the frequency is doubled to 120 hz because the flicker can no longer be perceived.
Scotty

Folsom

I put a 25uf capacitor "dirty electricity" filter (power to neutral) on my socket that all the stuff on my nightstand plugs into. Essentially everything over a certain frequency is being dumped off to neutral instead of going through things like my alarm clock, as the load increases. (the frequencies are following path of least resistance)

The idea would be this reduces excess EMF of undesired frequencies. Does it work? Not sure. I am sleeping better but there are other factors that could contribute to that.

The wiring in my place is ancient. Putting a filter at the breakerbox would make sense except too many devices re-introduce undesirable (at least to a stereo, the dirty electricity thing I am not sure is real even though I just made a filter) frequencies. Too many other people in my building with weird stuff plugged in to consider a breaker box filter being remotely useful.

My stereo filter is different. It is all in one box that has outlets on it. It also has different values and other components.

Folsom

I made one, and I slept better the night I used it, again.

I had to make a fancy case for it. They arc when you just use tape, and they are not fun to unplug for the same reason. I used a 2 mil 2w resistor to discharge for when you unplug it.

Æ

Not much of a line conditioner, filter. Look up "pi filtering" or power line filtering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor-input_filter

Folsom

What is your point? I don't see the relation to a line conditioner for a stereo and a dirty power filter?

25uf is a considerable amount noise shunted. It will filter a considerable amount of higher frequencies.

Also the one you posted only works if there is a load after the filter. This is a passive filter, that works on everything that is plugged into the same circuit, post filter. I can plug it in anywhere.