Sony Discman Modifications

Adarsh

« on: 27 Apr 2004, 09:14 am »
Does any one here know if it is possible to replace the decoder in my Discman with one that can read MP3, WMA and CD-DA?

Thanks,

Adarsh

BTW It's a 2001 Sony Discman DF-411

One more thing, do I need to change the existing lens so that it can play CD-RW?

bob82274

« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2004, 05:33 pm »
My suggestion is just buying a new portable CD player... It shouldn't run you more than $100 and you could probably get one for about $60.  I think it would be very difficult if not impossible to find a single chip that would decode the information like that and that would work with your CD player no less.  And also you would have to replace the entire laser for it to work with the CD-RW.  Plus there is a good chance that the combination of all your parts would cost more than a new CD player.  

Another suggestion would be to get an MP3 player if you just want it for portable music.  Just don't get an iPod if you want to play WMA or Ogg Vorbis.

soundboy

• My simple Yahoo 360 webpage
« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2004, 05:51 pm »
Go buy the new Sony DE-N300....ATRAC3+ and MP3 decoding, and finally, good quality headphone output (which can hardly be said for recent Sony PCDP).  $60.00.

Adarsh

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2004, 10:52 pm »
Is it possible then just to change the lens to one that reads CD-RW and still make it work?