Changing from ScanSpeak to Raal 70-20XR tweeters in my TRT's

cstory

• Seaching for clues
Re: Changing from ScanSpeak to Raal 70-20XR tweeters in my TRT's
« Reply #20 on: 10 Nov 2011, 03:10 pm »
It's a little late to the party, but seeing as how you are in Northeast Ohio, we probably could have arranged so you could listen to my Grandeur's which would give you a pretty good idea of what the RAAL sounds like.

I think it sounds terrific.  :D

Chuck
(Grand River, OH)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 10 Nov 2011, 04:24 pm »
Why not make an adapter out of aluminum?  You can have one machined at your local machine shop to sit in the round hole and it would have a square hole in the center for the RAAL.  Of course you can have it anodized black so it blends with the RAAL too. 

It's really no big deal and inexpensive and you don't have to touch those beautiful cabinets.  AND if you ever decide to upgrade to something else you can take the RAAL tweeters and use them on the next project and install the ScanSpeak tweeters back in (and reverse the crossover) and sell them complete. 

Just a thought of course.

srb

« Reply #22 on: 10 Nov 2011, 06:34 pm »
Why not make an adapter out of aluminum?  You can have one machined at your local machine shop to sit in the round hole and it would have a square hole in the center for the RAAL.

Will the sizing allow this?  I don't know the dimensions of the 70-20XR, but the rectangular 70-10 is 88mm X 110mm and the round Scanspeak D3004/6600 is 104mm in diameter.

It sounds like it wouldn't fit unless the 70-20XR is appreciably smaller?

Steve

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 10 Nov 2011, 06:42 pm »

Will the sizing allow this?  I don't know the dimensions of the 70-20XR, but the rectangular 70-10 is 88mm X 110mm and the round Scanspeak D3004/6600 is 104mm in diameter.

It sounds like it wouldn't fit unless the 70-20XR is appreciably smaller?

Steve

The RAAL frame is 110mmx110mm and we have done this before.

srb

« Reply #24 on: 10 Nov 2011, 06:48 pm »
The RAAL frame is 110mmx110mm and we have done this before.

When you say "we have done this before" I assume you mean retrofitting a RAAL to be surface mounted over a circular tweeter baffle cutout, but not machining a 110mm X 110mm recess in a 104mm (or even 110mm) circular aluminum plate.

Steve

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #25 on: 10 Nov 2011, 06:49 pm »

When you say "we have done this before" I assume you mean retrofitting a RAAL to be surface mounted over a circular tweeter baffle cutout, but not machining a 110mm X 110mm recess in a 104mm (or even 110mm) circular aluminum plate.

Steve

Correct.

drmike

« Reply #26 on: 10 Nov 2011, 06:59 pm »
is the 110 x 110 the size of the back of the raal that fits thru the baffle?
what is the sixe of the face frame of the raal?
thanks, drmike

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #27 on: 10 Nov 2011, 07:05 pm »
is the 110 x 110 the size of the back of the raal that fits thru the baffle?
what is the sixe of the face frame of the raal?
thanks, drmike

The frame is 110mm x 110mm. Just a simple rectangular cutout behind the frame. The Fountek CD3.0 can easily be replaced.

drmike

« Reply #28 on: 10 Nov 2011, 07:56 pm »
on the ssr there is 6" b/w the tweeter and woofer. how far from the woofer would the space for the raal have to be cut so it wouldn't hit the frame?
 also, the x/o you made for my ssr's came on 2 separate boards. would only the tweeter x/o need to be changed, or would the raal not work  with this woofer.
thanks,
drmike

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #29 on: 11 Nov 2011, 02:33 am »
on the ssr there is 6" b/w the tweeter and woofer. how far from the woofer would the space for the raal have to be cut so it wouldn't hit the frame?
 also, the x/o you made for my ssr's came on 2 separate boards. would only the tweeter x/o need to be changed, or would the raal not work  with this woofer.
thanks,
drmike

The RAAL frame is the same dimension vertically as the Fountek. The crossover would be changed for both the woofer and tweeter.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #30 on: 11 Nov 2011, 01:33 pm »
Why not make an adapter out of aluminum?  You can have one machined at your local machine shop to sit in the round hole and it would have a square hole in the center for the RAAL.  Of course you can have it anodized black so it blends with the RAAL too. 

Jason:

I appreciate your suggestion.  I am just not quite sure how this adapter would work in practice.  The Raal has a "rectangular box" behind the front frame, which will fix into the "inner" round hole made for the SS tweeter.  The Raal front plate will completely overlap the outer edge of the tweeter hole for a front mount.

I like the "tape" idea regarding attaching the front frame to the cabinet for "audition purposes".  If I like what I hear, I don't mind drilling screw holes into the cabinet for the front mount of the Raals.  As far as the possible selling of these speakers down the road, they would be sold with the Raals in place.  I will either build another speaker utilizing the SS tweets or sell them either here or on DIYAudio.

It sounds like a pretty straight forward modification with minimal changes to my cabinets.

Regards,

Randy