Modwright Oppo BD-83 SE Nuforce Edition Score

Freo-1

Modwright Oppo BD-83 SE Nuforce Edition Score
« on: 1 Nov 2011, 09:35 pm »
Well, as luck would have it, I was able to sell some excess gear laying around, and was able to pick up a Modwright Oppo BD-83 SE Nuforce player for a very reasonable price.  It replaced a Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu Ray.

This unit has the full solid state upgrade, with XLR and hard wired fan mods.

Along with the fact that the Oppo plays everything, the unit sounds incredible.  I was always a bit suspect about the level of improvement mods could perform, but Dan has opened my eyes (and ears) to just how good these mods can truly enhance performance.

I've got to put it through some extended listening tests, but so far, so good.  Initial quick impressions:

1) SACD/Blu Ray formats are out of this world.  Clean, detailed, dynamic like I've never heard.  More to follow:

2) DVD Audio formats is a bit of a harder call.  The output from the Modwight XLR is outstanding in it's own right.  Could easily live with it and enjoy.  However, feeding the 24/96 via the coaxial of this player to the Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC Plus seems just a bit more musical overall.  Will need to conduct extended listening to validate with a number of different types of music.

3) CD playback is very good with the Modwright.  The digital out from the Modwright Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC does sound better with CD's than the Modwright analog out.  The differences between the Modwright with CD is a bit more noticeable than with DVD Audio.

All things considered, this player is an incredible performer.  Will be posting observations after some extended listening.  This Modwright Oppo is a keeper.

Now I've got to look into getting the BD-95 upgraded by Dan for the HT Rig.

« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2011, 08:13 pm by Freo-1 »

rlmacklin

Re: Modwright Oppo BD-83 SE Nuforce Edition Score
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2011, 01:10 pm »
I have had my MWI modded Oppo 83SE - SS on both 2-channel
and multi-channel - for a year or more.
One reason I did not go with Dan's tube mods on my 83SE was
that that unit did not have the option to route the FL/FR
of multi-channel through its better quadruple-stacked/paralleled "stereo" DAC.

I did communicate my interest in having such an option for audio processing to Oppo and I am very happy that such a choice in audio processing was incorporated into the design/firmware of the Oppo 95 !!!

I received my ModWright tube modded Oppo 95 on 10/25 (Dan used it as a demo at RMAF) and installed a 1957 Philips metal base GZ34 rectifier in the power supply and two new Sophia Electric 6SN7s atop the modded player (all tubes with proper size Herbies UltraSonic RX tube dampers). 
These are upgraded tubes - recommended by Dan on the ModWright "Oppo 95 Tube Modifications" webpage - which take the MWI 95 to another level beyond the stock tubes it is shipped with.

I got the MWI "Truth" umbilical cord to connect the tube mod power supply to the player and also the Bybee "Music Rails" mod (not yet mentioned on MWI website) on each of the two ESS ES9018 Sabre DACs in the Oppo 95.

From Oppo 95 User Manual v. 1.5 on page 74:

"5. Stereo Signal: To select the audio source that will be processed and sent out through the STEREO AUDIO OUT and the XLR BALANCED STEREO AUDIO OUT terminals. The available options are:
 Down-mixed Stereo – The stereo or down-mixed stereo signals are processed and sent out from the dedicated stereo output terminals.
 Front Left/Right – The original Front Left (FL) and Front Right (FR) signals are sent out from the dedicated stereo output terminals. The purpose is to fully utilize the better DAC hardware originally assigned to the dedicated stereo outputs for customers who prefer multi-channel speakers and do not need the dedicated stereo output or zone 2 output.
When this option is selected, the dedicated stereo output ports should be used as the Front outputs of the 7.1ch / 5.1ch / Stereo Audio group.
The original FL/FR RCA connectors should not be connected."

So if getting an Oppo 95 modded by Dan, do go for the tube mod (and SS for the center and surround channels).  The tube mod can be used for both 2-channel material and the FL/FR of multichannel, which is wonderful for analog audio in a combined audio/home theater system.

The MWI tube modded Oppo 95 has absolutely stellar sonics -
well beyond the MWI SS modded Oppo 83SE with its complete ModWright analog audio stage...

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2011, 04:39 pm »

Right now, I'm just using it as a two channel player.  I love how the multi channel HD is down mixed to two channel.  The sound from the David Gilmour "Remember The Night" Blu Ray with the down mixed Dolby Tru HD is simply incredible.

I am still struck at just how good this unit sound.  While I still prefer the Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC plus on CD playback, this player sounds great with CD.  DVD Audio is really outstanding with this player, giving EE DAC a good run for it's money.

SACD/Blu Ray is where this player REALLY shines.  Truly remarkable.

I'll have to save some coin up to get the BD-95 upgraded, as that is the player I am using for HT. 

Thanks for the feedback on the BD 95 update.  I will look into this further.

rlmacklin

Oppo BD-83 SE public beta test firmware release Nov. 8, 2011
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2011, 02:45 pm »
freo,

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Support.aspx

Help & Support
Firmware Release:

Latest Public Beta Test Release

Release date: November 8, 2011.

Category: Public Beta Test Version

Main Version: BDP83-57-1026B
Loader Version: BE2800 or BT0500
Sub Version: MCU83-27-0326
Installation Instructions and Download Link: Click Here

Latest Official Release Version

Release date: March 17, 2011.
Category: Latest Official Release

Main Version: BDP83-55-0226
Loader Version: BE2800 or BT0500
Sub Version: MCU83-27-0326
Installation Instructions and Download Link: Click Here

To check the firmware version installed on your player, please go to the Setup Menu and select "Device Setup – Firmware Information".

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2011, 08:12 pm »
After further listening to this wonderful unit, decided to move this to the HT setup.  The sound from this is simply amazing.  The sonics from the Modwright Oppo BD-83 SE is way better than the stock Oppo BD-95 via both the two channel and multi channel analog out.

So, with that resolved, have teed up to send the BD-95 back to Dan for the tube upgrade.  I can only guess as to how much better that will sound, given how good the 83-SE sounds with the Modwright upgrades. 

Will post an update once the 95 comes back, and put some listening time in. 

Thanks, Dan!