Zu Cable's East Coast Demo Report

ton1313

« on: 26 Apr 2004, 09:54 pm »
Hi All,

I wanted to start a thread for this subject, so that others that attended can post here. I am currently working on what I will post, I will try to have it done shortly.

Quickly stated "  :!: The Definitions Rock :!: "  I used to think my Druid 2's had amaizing detail...until these came along! :o

Beezer

« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2004, 10:08 pm »
Ton,

I noticed you're posting in the Market Square nowadays?  Are you working for or affiliated with Zu.  If so, since when?

Beez

ton1313

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2004, 02:25 am »
Beez, I am neither. Just a huge fan of their products.

When I posted here originally about the demo, it seemed like the correct place for it. I figured it was information about a manufacturers event, so it would benefit the manufacturer to be posted here. I also figured since this report was related to the event, I would post it here.

If this is an incorrect place for this report, would a moderator move/redirect it to the proper place.

ton1313

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2004, 01:16 am »
Hi All,

My wife & I were fortunate enough to meet up with Sean & Adam from Zu on Friday night. We had dinner & some great conversation on just what makes Zu tick. After dinner we went back to help set up for the demo & had a preview of the sound of the new Definition loudspeakers.

The set up took only minutes to get the speakers placed properly in an almost square room. The basic system outline (taken from the Zu website) excluding the room: Zu Definition loudspeakers, Zu Gede-XLR interconnects, Zu Ash digital audio cable, Zu Libtec loudspeaker cable, Zu Mother, Bok and Birth power cables. DBX Quantum II DAC with all mastering features and DSP features disabled, Apple PowerMac G5 with SPdif interface, PS Audio HCA-2 power amp, BPT 3500 signature power conditioner (loaned by AC’s own scottpretti), Lacie 250 gig firewire drive, all source music and sounds were 44.1kHz @ 16 bit played through iTunes (all sound shaping features including EQ were disabled).

Once the music started, we were hypnotized by the smoothness and detail that we were hearing from these new speakers. The Definitions threw an absolutely huge sound stage with pinpoint imaging. And the bass…Wow do these go low! After living very happily with the Druid 2’s (they go down to 40 Hz) this was quite a change. The Definitions are full range, 20Hz to @ 20KHz, and way more detailed.

We listened to a few tracks that Sean was playing, & then settled into our usual staple of songs that we use as a reference. Everything we listened to was enhanced in every aspect. I wish I could really elaborate on this, but the previous sentence says it all. They brought so much more emotion out of the music; it was like listening to an entirely new recording.

We have listened to many different speakers in the past; Revel Ultima Salons & Studios, Revel F30’s, Martin Logan Odyssey, B&W 805 & 804, etc. None of these previous speakers have left an impression like that of the new Zu Definition.

For us Saturdays show was much of the same. I stayed for the complete show & listened to over 8 hours of music, amazingly with no listening fatigue. Others have posted some comments over at audiogon see this link http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1081803876&read&3&4&

We did end up purchasing the Definitions that were at the Demo. We are currently listening them & will post back when we have more time on them.

I have always reved about my Druid 2's, but the Definitions are in a completely different league.