RMAF 12-14th October Denver CO

AKSA

Re: RMAF 12-14th October Denver CO
« Reply #20 on: 6 Oct 2007, 09:03 am »
Jens,

It's nice to know I can feed my coffee addiction anywhere on the planet - comforting indeed!!

Now all I have to do is stop eating....

Not long to RMAF now!

Hugh

andyr

« Reply #21 on: 6 Oct 2007, 09:34 am »
Jens,

It's nice to know I can feed my coffee addiction anywhere on the planet - comforting indeed!!

Now all I have to do is stop eating....

Not long to RMAF now!

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Yes, you certainly can ... but IMO you get a better kafe at that place in Heidelberg we go to from time to time than any Starbucks ... or any other of the American coffee-franchises!   :D  As Yanquis are brought up on brown dishwater (hence the Starbucks/Gloria Jeans crew stay within that square - and as Jens has said, it's the same the world over) ... compared to, say, Italians (which is where Oz coffee tradition comes from).

Kyrill ... what say you?  I know that Holland has a long history of good coffee, having waged war with the English a couple of centuries ago to control the trade!  :D

Regards,

Andy

stvnharr

« Reply #22 on: 6 Oct 2007, 01:54 pm »

Hi Hugh,

Yes, you certainly can ... but IMO you get a better kafe at that place in Heidelberg we go to from time to time than any Starbucks ... or any other of the American coffee-franchises!   :D  As Yanquis are brought up on brown dishwater (hence the Starbucks/Gloria Jeans crew stay within that square - and as Jens has said, it's the same the world over) ... compared to, say, Italians (which is where Oz coffee tradition comes from).

Regards,

Andy

Andy,
You forget the staple of nearly every Australian household - INSTANT COFFEE -, even Hugh's.  And the supermarkets have a choice of several brands and varieties of INSTANT COFFEE.  It's hard to find that awful stuff here.
There's a lot more to coffee here than Starbuck's, though they are everywhere and copied by others.
BTW, long ago I went to university in Seattle and used to frequent a little coffee store by the Pike Place Market.  Yes, Starbucks was once just a single store, and about the only place where you could actually smell fresh coffee beans.
But ya, you do get a good cappaccino in Heidelberg!  And much harder to find a truly good one here.

Steve

andyr

« Reply #23 on: 6 Oct 2007, 09:26 pm »
Andy,

You forget the staple of nearly every Australian household - INSTANT COFFEE -, even Hugh's.  And the supermarkets have a choice of several brands and varieties of INSTANT COFFEE.  It's hard to find that awful stuff here.
There's a lot more to coffee here than Starbuck's, though they are everywhere and copied by others.
BTW, long ago I went to university in Seattle and used to frequent a little coffee store by the Pike Place Market.  Yes, Starbucks was once just a single store, and about the only place where you could actually smell fresh coffee beans.
But ya, you do get a good cappaccino in Heidelberg!  And much harder to find a truly good one here.

Steve

Hi Steve,

You are absolutely correct - I forgot about instant coffee because I never drink it ... and haven't for the last 20-odd years, since I discovered there was such a thing as coffee made from freshly ground beans!  :lol:

But every time I visit the States and am served brown dishwater in hotel dining rooms and restaurants ... I regret that, somehow, the Yanquis have "lost the plot", in terms of tasty coffee!  :D

Have a great time at RMAF ... it would be neat to visit, some day! :cry:

Regards,

Andy

Jens

« Reply #24 on: 6 Oct 2007, 09:45 pm »
Hugh, you may well get better lattes in Heidelberg - it's been too long for me to remember  :wink:

But Starbucks isn't too bad, and consistency is a quality in itself .....

Best of luck with your RMAF adventure - wish I could go!

AKSA

« Reply #25 on: 6 Oct 2007, 10:31 pm »
Andy said:

I know that Holland has a long history of good coffee, having waged war with the English a couple of centuries ago to control the trade!

ah yes, autos have their coffee too, and the wars continue unabated.....

Do you know where China gets most of it's oil?   Yes, Sudan, and there's lots under Darfur...... :scratch:

Steve, Jens,

You are so right about instant coffee.  It is dreadful, and almost impossible to make a good coffee from that terrible stuff.  OTOH, I can't understand why it's not also popular in the US!!

I'm finishing six Squeezebox power supplies today, WOW!!  That's nice, thought I might not get through them for RMAF, which would have been a pity.

Cheers,

Hugh

stvnharr

« Reply #26 on: 7 Oct 2007, 12:29 am »

You are so right about instant coffee.  It is dreadful, and almost impossible to make a good coffee from that terrible stuff.  OTOH, I can't understand why it's not also popular in the US!!

Hugh

Hugh,
People here have always been into making their own coffee from ground coffee in a can - electric percolators, stove top percolators, cowboy coffee.  Then Mr. Coffee took over.  These are in every kitchen.
Remember, we don't come from the tea drinking tradition that you do!
Yes, while here you must visit an American supermarket, preferably one of the nice fancy ones that are quite prevalent.  Visit the tea and coffee section and see how much of what, is.  Then compare to your local Safeway.  That will tell you all you need to know.

Andy,
Once you get used to the espresso based drinks it's harder to drink much weaker drip coffee.  However, refills are free as the cups are bottomless and the coffee is usually fairly fresh made.
Personally, I prefer plunger coffee - both here and there!  It's a nice compromise.

Steve

andyr

« Reply #27 on: 7 Oct 2007, 12:50 am »

Andy,
Once you get used to the espresso based drinks it's harder to drink much weaker drip coffee.  However, refills are free as the cups are bottomless and the coffee is usually fairly fresh made.
Personally, I prefer plunger coffee - both here and there!  It's a nice compromise.

Steve

Steve,

You can still make good coffee from a "dripolator" - you just need to use at least 5 times as much grounds as the Yanquis use!  :o   :D

I have an expresso machine and, when it was new, used it every night!  :D  Now, I don't drink so much coffee and, when I do, will probably use a plunger - as it's more convenient (easier to clean!  :D ).  However, for dinner parties - ie. more than just 1 or 2 people - I use the dripolator!  :D  One heaped tablespoon of grounds per person.

Regards,

Andy

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #28 on: 7 Oct 2007, 02:01 am »
Hugh....

You won't have to travel far for a Starbucks coffee at RMAF...there's one in the lobby at the Denver Marriott Tech Center Hotel....their everywhere... :duh:

Chris

AKSA

« Reply #29 on: 7 Oct 2007, 03:28 am »
Steve, Chris,

I have been raised on US technology since birth, rather than the food.  I have much to learn, but one thing I do know already is that the huge market in the US makes for choice, something we have little of in Oz by comparison.  I am prepared to be goggle eyed about almost everything I see, and I'm sure I'll soon give up on comparisons and just accept that the other side of the pond is a very different place....

Heck, I might even buy a Buell 1125 for my next motorcycle!!  I've never liked Harleys, but these are, they are saying, a track delight and the engine is an Austrian masterpiece, designed by Rotax, with the marvellous creative frame design of Erik Buell.  Love that belt drive!

Cheers,

Hugh

Freddy57

« Reply #30 on: 7 Oct 2007, 06:06 am »
just for review. FYI it's YANKEES ........like the baseball team.  we spell colour color and a que is something in the theater or music score.  Vern

andyr

« Reply #31 on: 7 Oct 2007, 08:30 am »
just for review ... we spell colour color

Well, yes ... because you speak American ... not English!  :D  And unfortunately Bill Gates was brought up an American, so MS Spellchecker doesn't comprehend the finer points of English spelling!   :o

a que is something in the theater or music score.  Vern

Mmmm, you seem to be unfamilar with that classic British television series "Faulty Towers".  "Que" is something Manuel would say frequently, when he was accosted and abused by Basil Faulty (aka John Cleese).   :D

OTOH, a "queue" is what you wait in ... or at least us British types do (Italians generally don't).

FYI it's YANKEES ........like the baseball team.

I believe the Mexicans refer to those north of the border as "Yanquis"?  :D

Regards,

Andy

AKSA

« Reply #32 on: 7 Oct 2007, 12:22 pm »
Andy,

Please, your mild jibes are just one of looking at it, and not too funny to Americans.   :nono:  The fact is, we have a tiny population downunder, it is true some of our linguistic antics are pretty strange, and they emphatically have the numbers......  and I'm about to go there for a stay, and while it's all good fun I want to be able to communicate easily!!   :lol:

Are we on for coffee tomorrow at 10?

Hugh

andyr

« Reply #33 on: 7 Oct 2007, 12:38 pm »
Andy,

Are we on for coffee tomorrow at 10?

Hugh

Hi Hugh ...actually, I had it in my diary for 11am but I'll try to get to your place earlier!  :D

And Americans - and Frenchies - IMO, need a dig in the ribs from time to time. :o

Regards,

Andy

fajimr

« Reply #34 on: 7 Oct 2007, 08:47 pm »
hugh

want good coffee in denver:
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/worldregional/uswest/45836

just like anywhere else in the world, you have to know where to find good coffee in the US

jim

LM

• Lyn
« Reply #35 on: 7 Oct 2007, 09:51 pm »
Actually Hugh, I wouldn’t worry too much.   In my working trips to the USA, I found that Americans had a huge sense of good will and humour and as soon as they understood it was the Australian way to make fun of oneself as much or more than we made fun of them, they had a huge capacity to go along with the joke.  Genuine insults we don’t like either but a good humoured chest poking challenge, well that’s a different matter.  I have a feeling you are going to be shown a number of b****y good cups of coffee and a wonderful time.  Wish I was coming with you.  Bon voyage. :drool:

AKSA

« Reply #36 on: 7 Oct 2007, 10:14 pm »
Jim,

Looks like Perk 'n Pub, downtown on the corner of Emerson and Ohio!

Must try Harrar style, sounds absolutely spiffin' fantastic......... :drool:

Thanks for the tip Jim, I'm so glad there are other junkies around like me!   :icon_twisted:

See you at 10:30 or thereabouts, Andy, thanks for rescheduling!

Lyn,

Many thanks, I agree.  We are all human, and I'd love you to come along too, in fact, I'd LOVE you to fly the plane!!  (Lyn is a highly accomplished pilot, fully endorsed to fly most anything!!)

Cheers,

Hugh

fajimr

« Reply #37 on: 7 Oct 2007, 11:17 pm »
yer welcome hugh....  I just posted a query at coffeegeek so maybe we can dig up some more as I noticed the other one was a bit old. 
keep your eye on thiis for responses:  http://coffeegeek.com/forums/worldregional/uswest/323053 

I just got back from a 2 week trip to the UK, NL and Belgium and couldn't find a good espresso.  mind you the average european coffee is better than the average american coffee but even when I asked for a ristretto, they pulled a full++ shot (and it even said ristretto on the menu!).  I am sure those cafes existed as I was in large cities but when you don't know where to go... then you are simply SOL  (and i didn't ask before I went)....  beer was fabulous though ;-)

hoping to add to your denver experience... now if I can just remember where that wonderful ethiopian restaurant I once ate at is...

jim

AKSA

« Reply #38 on: 9 Oct 2007, 11:11 am »
Thanks Jim,

Great information!!  Cnr Ohio and Emerson, downtown Denver, I'll be there.....   :drool:

Leaving tomorrow, really looking forward to this, very exciting.

Hope to return to Oz with a few orders - and a lot of new contacts!   aa

Folks, Room 1119 - be there!   :icon_lol:

Cheers,

Hugh

natemil

« Reply #39 on: 14 Oct 2007, 04:23 pm »
All,

Just want to post an impressive hearing at RMAF.  There were quite a few rooms that was very impressive, but I would like to share an experience that stuck-out.  I was fortunate to have visited Wayne's room with Hugh.  Wayne's system was great, spot-on with great dynamics.

Without knowing when I walked into Wayne's room for a listen, I was fortunate to hear Hugh's SB Power Supply in Wayne's set-up A-B (with & without Hugh's PS).  The pronounced difference was shockingly pleasant.  Still wasn't aware what was going on, I had to pick-up my jaw and ask Wayne what was drastic difference.  That's when Wayne pointed out that it was Hugh's PS.

I think Hugh was quite surprised as well of the pronounced dynamics and emotions it added.  Hugh explained to me that this was something new he came up with and some of the concept technology and logic behind it.  Wow!!!  Of the all of impressive listens I experienced at 2007 RMAF, this was definitely one of the top.  I can't wait for him to release more info and would definitely like have it added to my system.

Happy listening,
Doug