how is Hugh's modded Duet coming?

Grumpy_Git

Re: how is Hugh's modded Duet coming?
« Reply #20 on: 12 Dec 2008, 09:37 am »
I've always found that giving software priviledges in anti-virus software and opening the correct ports in firewalls and there are no problems.

As for updating software, well if it was working, why change it???

Nick.

Johnny

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jan 2009, 05:23 pm »
A Duet properly set up ( or SB3 like i now have) is a dream to listen to
only bested by cumbersome black analogue LP's

Kyrill,
Can you tell me what it takes, at a minimum, to get near to those black LP’s with the SB3? I’ve looked at the boards and FAQ, but am overwhelmed.
A power supply, like Hugh’s Hologram is a must of course. How about the innards? Do you use the analog or digital op? What mods? Is it feasible to diy? I would hope to use the native D/A.
I would greatly value your advice.
Many thanks,
John

kyrill

« Reply #22 on: 9 Jan 2009, 07:44 pm »
Hi John

More and more i am convinced that just as people are made our of the fabric of love, which is not sex actually,, well i think,  :scratch: music out of systems are structured by the current out of yr wall socket
SO clean power, as clean as possible is a must for transparent systems.

I would go for the ultimate analogue mod of Wayne incl the 2 power inlets of the SB3, 5V and 3.3 Hynes pws for the digital part and Hugh's "bomb" for the analogue

when diy  I would choose for 2x Paul Hynes ( 5V and 3,3V) and send the pws to Hugh for his mod on the 5V part
you still need Wayne for the analogue mod, the making ready for 3.3V and 5V and the shield against the screen

I would also send the unit first to PAT ( name: Art)  for his S/PDIF mod. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=45330.0

Johnny

« Reply #23 on: 9 Jan 2009, 08:44 pm »
That's a minimum?  :scratch:
I can see I have a lot of "homework" to do.
I meant to ask what format set up you use. I imagine you use flac on your server and stream it without conversion to the SB? What would be second best for Mac/iTunes users.
Thanks again,
John

kyrill

« Reply #24 on: 9 Jan 2009, 09:32 pm »
you have already the minimum: an analogue pws. not so much because of its beauty but it does not contaminate the rest of the power line. If i listen i go around the house to unplug, notebooks, battery loading, iphone or mobile phone loading pws's, all digital pws for whatever reason must be unplugged  :thumb:
my server is my PC "unfiltered" by a Felix power line "conditioner" , and yes i use Flac

Johnny

« Reply #25 on: 9 Jan 2009, 10:01 pm »

Hmmm. I'll try this- go around the house and unplug stuff. I'll have to wait till no one is around tho or the "background" noise will be even worse than the digital hash  :o

kyrill

« Reply #26 on: 9 Jan 2009, 10:25 pm »
hi John

for (a bit)  less than 20 dollars a piece you can make a Felix filter for every
lousy sounding digital pws. My 2 sons have it on their laptops
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=51941.0
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25757.0

Johnny

« Reply #27 on: 9 Jan 2009, 10:33 pm »
Thanks for the tip Kyrill, i'll look into this for sure  :thumb:

Johnny

« Reply #28 on: 15 Jan 2009, 07:37 pm »
So, Kyrill, I've been looking into Felix. The information is quite scattered and it seems there are a number of variations and combination units being built. It will take me some time to assemble all the details, component list, exact circuit etc.

Many people talk about putting the Felix on their audio gear, but it seems you are recommending putting them on the noisy units and running the audio gear and music server pc wo Felix, maybe because of reduced dynamics, is that right?
Thx
John

Oh yeah, and how about compact fluorescents and light dimmers? I've heard that they are bad news. The CFL's would be hard to get rid of  :scratch:
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2009, 12:12 am by Johnny »

kyrill

« Reply #29 on: 17 Jan 2009, 12:55 pm »
i use the felix in 2 ways
1) noisy gear and bring dimmers to max output all over the house
2) on sources and preamp

my power amps  sound less open and  dynamic with the Felix. So i have the wrong coil.
because my amps are not "protected" i use number 1)

Johnny

« Reply #30 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:10 am »
Thanks Kyrill,
This clarifies things a lot for me.
Pending getting a bunch of Felix in hand, when I have a chance I will try an experiment- turn out all the lights, unplug everything but the stereo, light a few candles, and have a listen- sixties music of course  :) I'm looking forward to this :rock:
Cheers,
John

kyrill

« Reply #31 on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:10 am »
Hi John
i am happy to have a dedicated "quiet" room only for listening, a couch ( 3 persons) my stereo setup and that's it, no furniture nothing else, a separate room. Listening with the lights out is what i do 99 out of 100 times and a fine half a bottle of wine next to me and for some reason the dogs come too as soon as they hear i am in that room, one at my feet, a Bask sheep dog and one next to me  on the couch, my beautiful Afghan Hound :)

Johnny

« Reply #32 on: 20 Jan 2009, 03:19 pm »
Ah! Now I get your avatar- all this time I thought it was some sort of fantasy pony  :o
What a beautiful hound! and the sheepdog is mighty sweet too.

Have you considered balanced power at all, in addition to Felix? I have thought about using a massive transformer I acquired surplus from work but it would take quite a lot of work to set up. I would have to run a dedicated 240v line from the service entrance, and haul the 55kg beast in to position etc. After all that, I can't be sure there would not be dynamic and other distortions, in the power amp, due to transformer "sag".
Cheers,
John

kyrill

« Reply #33 on: 20 Jan 2009, 03:37 pm »
That is the way to go, Johny balanced power and Felix will be even more efficient in its common mode rejection
I  see more and more elaborate designs incorporating balanced power as stage before the pws of the unit, inside the enclosure

I have also a bit more heavy "mother of audio balanced transformer ( but no ground on centertap) ( 80 kg) but it has an irritating hum. So i have it outside the listening room in little room of its own, I also use balanced transformers behind it with earth on center tap
Ye the Afghan Hound is my avatar, its name: Gaudi. His sister is champion of the Benelux. he is even more beautiful

Johnny

« Reply #34 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:40 pm »
Thanks again Kyrill,
I'll be tak'n my Felix questions to The Lab now, before I get in trouble with the Boss  :oops:

:wave: Hi Hugh! Welcome home!  :wave: