Texas Tower

Jeff K

Re: Texas Tower
« Reply #20 on: 29 Sep 2008, 10:32 pm »
better than any MMT I've ever listened to (including a few of my own)

Does this mean you are thinking the AirCirc is a better mate for the Revelator than the Fountek?

Jeff

treytexag

« Reply #21 on: 30 Sep 2008, 01:16 am »
I hope to hear them soon - these may be my second Selah Audio purchase, and I haven't heard my first yet! :thumb:

Trey

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 30 Sep 2008, 03:33 pm »
better than any MMT I've ever listened to (including a few of my own)

Does this mean you are thinking the AirCirc is a better mate for the Revelator than the Fountek?

Jeff

The Fountek is a great substitution for this combination. I could live with either one but my particular preference has always been for ribbon tweeters.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #23 on: 22 Oct 2008, 01:56 pm »
For the DIY's out there you may notice that this is the same driver combination and layout as designed by Zaph Audio; however, this is going to be much different because one woofer is 4 ohms and the other 8. I look forward to the results.  Thumbs up

Hi Rick:

What exactly does the one woofer at 4 ohms and the other at 8 accomplish as opposed to the ZRT designed by Zaph.  Will this make this speaker a little more tube friendly?  Could this speaker be a good candidate for bi-amping(tube on top (60 WPC pentode, 30 WPC triode) - SS on bottom (100 WPC))?

In addition, what is the price for the kit version of the TRT? (I know you mentioned it to me on the phone the other day but I forgot :duh:)

Thanks,

rklein

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2008, 12:57 pm »
For the DIY's out there you may notice that this is the same driver combination and layout as designed by Zaph Audio; however, this is going to be much different because one woofer is 4 ohms and the other 8. I look forward to the results.  Thumbs up

Hi Rick:

What exactly does the one woofer at 4 ohms and the other at 8 accomplish as opposed to the ZRT designed by Zaph.  Will this make this speaker a little more tube friendly?  Could this speaker be a good candidate for bi-amping(tube on top (60 WPC pentode, 30 WPC triode) - SS on bottom (100 WPC))?

In addition, what is the price for the kit version of the TRT? (I know you mentioned it to me on the phone the other day but I forgot :duh:)

Thanks,

rklein

My design allows more control over the baffle step compensation. In my opinion it results in a better power response balance, especially for typical room placements a few feet from the rear wall. The kit is $1500 including shipping. You could passively bi-amp provided that you have a level control to match amps with different output wattages. The load is 4 ohms with a 3.5 ohm minimum so a push-pull amp with 4-ohm taps should work fine.

FredT300B

« Reply #25 on: 24 Oct 2008, 08:47 pm »
Rick, I completed them about an hour ago, and they're playing for the first time, still in their nude mdf enclosures. The Revelator drivers sound great. It's going to be hard to take them apart to veneer the enclosures.  :D

http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/132721_wacsQ#P-4-15

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #26 on: 25 Oct 2008, 02:43 pm »
Rick, I completed them about an hour ago, and they're playing for the first time, still in their nude mdf enclosures. The Revelator drivers sound great. It's going to be hard to take them apart to veneer the enclosures.  :D

http://fredt300b.smugmug.com/gallery/132721_wacsQ#P-4-15

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to your thoughts on the sound.

djdube525

« Reply #27 on: 8 Dec 2008, 08:21 pm »
Hi Fred,

I realize this thread hasn't been updated a bit... but was wondering if you had/have a chance to put together some listening impressions?

Hi Rick,

Was lurking a bit... I see you're just a stone's throw away (I'm in Clayton). You've got some very impressive work! Hopefully, I can find my way into listening to one/some of your designs in the near future.

Dave

FredT300B

« Reply #28 on: 8 Dec 2008, 10:56 pm »
I realize this thread hasn't been updated a bit... but was wondering if you had/have a chance to put together some listening impressions?

Sorry, I took them apart for veneering, which I've completed, but I still need to spray the front baffle satin black, and we're getting into the Christmas party season combined with weather that's too wet for painting. I plan to spray them next time we have a dry day that's above 60 degrees.

djdube525

« Reply #29 on: 9 Dec 2008, 12:22 am »
Hi again Fred,

My apologies for the slight thread jack... you (or anyone else for that matter) wouldn't happen to know any good websites and/or books on veneering? Shoot... even painting MDF. I'd like to tackle a DIY job... the couple times I've painted MDF, it didn't come out as well as I would have liked. Originally thinking veneering would be the way to go, but not having done that before I'm a little tentative.

I probably just need to experiment/try it out... but the veneers I've seen are so thin... I can see myself doing an "oops" and making a bad boo boo.  :duh:

Dave

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #30 on: 9 Dec 2008, 04:13 pm »
Hi Fred,

Hi Rick,

Was lurking a bit... I see you're just a stone's throw away (I'm in Clayton). You've got some very impressive work! Hopefully, I can find my way into listening to one/some of your designs in the near future.

Dave

Feel free to give me a call and we can get together sometime.

djdube525

« Reply #31 on: 9 Dec 2008, 06:25 pm »
Feel free to give me a call and we can get together sometime.

Thanks Rick! I think I'm gonna have to take you up on that very generous offer.
It won't likely be for a few weeks...

There was something else I wanted to pick your brains about - something along the lines of the line array you did for that church.
Please remind me in case I forget.

Thanks again!

Dave