Tempestas and N-core amps

jonbee

Tempestas and N-core amps
« on: 20 Aug 2012, 06:07 pm »
I've just finished a 5 day stint with Hypex N-core amps, and I have to say they are a match absolutely made in heaven for the Tempestas. The astonishing transparency, bass response and soundstaging of these amps truly transformed the already superb sound in my system.
I had 4 listeners over yesterday to hear it.
One (Ken) had already heard my system previously, and loves the Tempestas. The others had not heard them, but were totally jazzed by what they heard.

The system:
Eastern Electric Plus DAC w/ Dexa discrete op amps- no tube
Ric Schultz modded Oppo BDP83 as transport
ASRock HTPC as Music server, running JRiver MC17 software
Audioquest Coffee USB cable
Zu Ash digital IC
Zu Event ICs
Acrotec 2050 ICs
Cullen Modded PS Audio GCC-500 integrated (ICEPower ASP1000 modules- 1000 WPC @ 4 ohms)
PS Audio Power Plant premier AC regenerator- all gear is powered by this, inc.  the amps
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cables
Zu Mother, Mojo NOS copper and XPC-2 power cables, plus the Triode Labs 7 cords packed w/ the NCores
Selah Tempesta speakers

Here's my report on the event:
Here's my final report on my 5 days with the Ncores (~30 hours listening).
I had 4 other 'philes over yesterday, and we listened with the PS Audio IcePower amp section to get a baseline, then repeated the music selections with the NCores, all using the modded PSAudio preamp section, which itself is quite good- very transparent, fast and clean.
The reactions to the change were uniform- the differences were far from subtle. While the modded Icepower modules sounded clean, neutral, easy on the ears and powerful, by comparison they also sounded a bit tame and slightly muffled dynamically, something I never felt was the case in the past, but it was undeniable in this comparo.
Also, the NCores seemed to lower the bass cutoff by about a half octave - a huge amount. Whether this was measureable or a psychoacoustic phenomenon is unknown, but the effect is stunning. While the bass seems deeper, it is also clearer and more explosively dynamic. All on the panel couldn't believe that 7" woofers could produce clean, gut palpable sensations from pipe organ, kettle drums and synthesized bass, but hearing is believing. It is dramatic enough that there is a very good chance I'll get rid of my sub now.
Just as dramatic, the soundstage depth, detail and focus improved dramatically. With the PS Icepower amps, the soundstage seemed to terminate maybe 4 feet behind the speakers, with the N-cores it was 20 feet or more, with reverberant room reflections from large spaces WAY back in the field, and very cleanly rendered, at that. Instruments and ambient sounds were surrounded by a deeper black, offering superb contrast.
The top end was very finely detailed, yet the opposite of bright- the top end balance was simply right musically. I could understand how some might feel the top end laid back, though, but I see that as an absence of subtle grain and hash, at least as the RAAL tweeters display it.
 As I mentioned, the only amp I've heard that renders a soundstage better are 10 watt Shindos, with a Shindo pre, at around $20k retail. I feel I got a good chunk of that with these.
Here's some panel comments from emails I received after the sessions:

From Ken (Spectral pre/amp-> Ariel 10Ts, plus lots of great stuff):

That Hypex amp made an already impressive system MUCH more impressive.  Not a subtle improvement. 
Biggest strengths of the amp as I heard them: 
Bass reproduction:  very tuneful bass sound with great tone, weight, and energy
Natural tone:  the improvement was along the lines of having switched to a tube amp in terms of tone, but with the weight and power you'd expect from a SS amp
Greater coherence:  the sound was just more right, with instruments and voices being far more believable
You hit a home run with these - seriously.  I'd love to come back once you get yours put together.

From Ramesh:

Thank you much John for a memorable experience yesterday.
Bulmaro and I talked about the system all the way back home.
The amp was really impressive as Ken says, not to mention we were equally blown away by the speakers too.
It perfectly matched with the speakers and brought out the best.

stereodad

Re: Tempestas and N-core amps
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2012, 06:28 pm »
Thanks Jonbee,
I really appreciate your posts,The Tempestas are very tempting.

Thanks Larry

aramesh

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2012, 06:44 pm »
Yes, thanks John for being a perfect host and giving us an opportunity to listen to the Tempestas with the Ncores.
Ncores virtues aside, I along with a friend of mine were blown away by the Tempestas.
The best part was wherever you sit in the room, you almost got everything as in the sweet spot.
Tempestas were resolving, clean, intoxicating and talk about the bass from the small woofer - it was amazing experience.
We of course talked about John's passion for music and the rest of the gear he has gathered over the years to reach there, but the Tespestas left a long lasting remark for us.
Salute to John.

mr_bill

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2012, 08:41 pm »
Jonbee - what type of stands and stand height do you use?
Any pics of your system?

jonbee

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2012, 09:29 pm »
Jonbee - what type of stands and stand height do you use?
Any pics of your system?
No pics as of now.
I use a hard to find Target stand. 20" tall. Solididity is paramount, of course, and 20" puts the region between mid and tweeter at 36".

mr_bill

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2012, 09:30 pm »
The Tempestas are tall - to make them stable on the stands - do you 'fasten' them in any way?

jonbee

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2012, 09:53 pm »
They are 22" tall. I don't attach them to the stands. I use small sorbothane pads atop the stands. They are fairly stable, but if there are small children around I would built out the platform a bit.
I do use a "beard" on my stands, made from the blank baffle boards for these cabinets bought from PE. I cut them off, drilled and inserted adjustable spikes on the bottom, and snug them up to the speakers. I estimate the beards adds a couple db output below 60 hz or so, and it does make them a little more stable.

Jeff V.

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2012, 12:47 am »
Very good news Jon!  I hope my Tempesta's will be finished sometime next week.  Just need to cut the baffles.  I think the Ncores are very good.  I can't wait to hear the combo!

Cheers,

Jeff

jonbee

« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2012, 03:53 pm »
You're in for a real ear opener. Just a couple of points I've made before:
Don't make too much of the fine points of the sound until you get at least 80 hours on them. Mine opened up a lot at that point, but continued to get better for another 100 plus hours.
The combination of the Ts and Ncores is at the leading edge of resolution. Everything in the sonic fabric is on display clearly. It won't make bad matchups worse, but you will hear things you never heard before. Plan on an extended period of system tweaking to get the total flavor right for you. I've been constantly amazed at how tunable the sound of the Ts is. The positive side of this is that it is pretty easy to make choices since sonic differences in ancillaries are so clear.
I even got into power cord rolling. On previous speakers PC changes were a relatively minor factor, so I didn't bother that much, but not so with the Ts. The Ncores up the resolution a bunch more.
Above all, have fun!
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2012, 07:20 pm by jonbee »

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2012, 05:15 pm »
Nice to hear that the N-core meshes well with the Tempesta. Right we are building a floorstanding version for a Northern Ohio customer and I should have pictures available sometime in early September.

mr_bill

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2012, 06:36 pm »
Rick,
I would like to see what a floorstanding Tempesta looks like.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2012, 07:40 pm »
Rick,
I would like to see what a floorstanding Tempesta looks like.

I'll post them here when the speakers are finished. The cabinet is 40" tall plus a 1 3/4" plinth and spikes. Width is 9" and depth 13" so it has a nice compact footprint.

mr_bill

« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2012, 09:11 pm »
Rick,
How are the floorstanders sounding compared to the stand mount tempestas?   
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2012, 11:48 pm by mr_bill »

maxboy00

« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2012, 10:44 pm »
I'm the guy in Northern Ohio, getting the floor standing Tempestas, I too look forward to hearing them, they will be driven by a Modwright KWI 200 IA.  I simply prefer a floor stander to stand mounted speakers, I choose Rick's speaker over a pair of Dynaudio C-1's which I have eyed for a long time. That being said since I have read such good things about Rick's speakers I decided to get these instead. I believe it will end up being a very sound purchase. . . pun intended.

I

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2012, 04:58 pm »
Rick,
How are the floorstanders sounding compared to the stand mount tempestas?

No difference in sound - just an option for those who want a floorstanding version.

mr_bill

« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2012, 11:54 pm »
Thanks Rick, looking forward to seeing pics.

jonbee

« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2012, 02:10 am »
I'm the guy in Northern Ohio, getting the floor standing Tempestas, I too look forward to hearing them, they will be driven by a Modwright KWI 200 IA. 
I might opt for the floorstander if I bought them again. It will be cool to see pics. I think the Modwright will produce gorgeous music with them. Dan makes mighty sweet stuff- audio artistry, really. Much like Rick, IMO.

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #17 on: 23 Aug 2012, 03:25 pm »
Also looking forward to seeing what they look like.

Oh, and Rick, if you deliver those in person, maybe the Northern Ohio Selah contingent can have an informal little get together for dinner or something.  :D

Chuck

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #18 on: 23 Aug 2012, 04:04 pm »
Also looking forward to seeing what they look like.

Oh, and Rick, if you deliver those in person, maybe the Northern Ohio Selah contingent can have an informal little get together for dinner or something.  :D

Chuck

That would be great! I'll know later what me schedule will be so maybe we can work it out.

Rick

rbfletch

« Reply #19 on: 30 Aug 2012, 08:53 pm »
Cost of the floorstanders?