Looking for a new pair of 0.22uf coupling caps.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Looking for a new pair of 0.22uf coupling caps.
« Reply #40 on: 15 Dec 2019, 07:22 am »
Received Miflex KPCU 0.22 uF 600V caps, and right off the bat, there are two HUGE problems:

1:  Miflex is gigantic compared to other 0.22 uF caps, much larger than Jupiter Copper or VH CuTF, larger than Duelund CAST.  It will not fit where I intended to place them  :duh:
2.  To make matters worse, Miflex is radial design, which makes it even more difficult to fit in many places designed for axial caps.

Sonic Craft does not allow returns on passive components (which I understand for a small company), so I am looking for someone who may want to trade a pair of used Jupiter copper 0.22 uF/600V with my brand new pair of Miflex 0.22 uF/600V caps.  I can throw in a pair of some other caps (like a nice pair of Vishay Roederstein MKP-1839 bypass caps or something).   :green:

MiflexJupiter by drjlo2, on Flickr

I'll make that trade.

Jon L

« Reply #41 on: 15 Dec 2019, 09:20 am »
Great!  You got PM  :thumb:

maty

« Reply #42 on: 19 Dec 2019, 06:23 pm »
Replaced the cheap cement resistor of Bennic 0R68 5 watts with another of Mills MRA05 5 watts 0.68 Ohms. The air runs below. It has taken a while to remove the cemented resistance, which was also stuck. Luckily we were two people, one desoldering and the other stretching.

[PDF] https://hfc-fs.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/mills_data_0.pdf

I have waited for the same person with whom I made the previous changes to be with me: bypass with the cheap NOS styroflex / polystyrene and after with Miflex KPCU-01 0.01 uF 600 Vdc.

First left speaker (photo). The difference was very audible in front the right. With the two speakers improved the sound has improved greatly. It is as if the tweeters had been behind a curtain!

And yes, you can see steel nuts and... in the speaker connectors. The magnet is your friend.

In the end I will end up building the filter on a wood and point-to-point connections, in addition to changing the wiring and connectors!

Klipsch RP-600M Upgrade, by Danny Richie

-> https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=166535.msg1770733#msg1770733

-> https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=166535.msg1771815#msg1771815

maty

« Reply #43 on: 19 Dec 2019, 06:41 pm »
Moved
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2019, 09:56 am by maty »

Tyson

« Reply #44 on: 19 Dec 2019, 07:12 pm »
When you get ready to build out your crossover on a separate board, check out the Path Audio resistors, they are the best I've used for speaker crossovers:

https://www.partsconnexion.com/path-audio-resistors.html

maty

« Reply #45 on: 19 Dec 2019, 07:51 pm »
Very expensive these Polish resistors! In EU too!

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/pathaudio_resistors.html

http://www.pathaudio.eu/

You have to understand me, what I am doing with the crossover goes against my academic knowledge, hence it has been so cautious, going step by step to verify every possible improvement.

Before I will try to solder directly the original cables to verify the steel nuts. It does not cost me a penny to do it. Of course, together with the other person who has always been with me when making the changes and who is also as surprised as me; including the 150 kHz Würth ferrite addition on the woofer cables.

Thank you very much for the recommendation.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #46 on: 19 Dec 2019, 10:43 pm »
They are 1% precision, where do you have seen the price?

maty

« Reply #47 on: 20 Dec 2019, 07:36 am »
Moved
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2019, 09:56 am by maty »

Tyson

« Reply #48 on: 20 Dec 2019, 03:36 pm »
The reason I like the Path Audio resistors so much is they are the only ones I could find that are made out of copper.  I've been on a mission to remove ALL non-copper parts from the signal path in my system. 

maty

« Reply #49 on: 21 Dec 2019, 11:42 am »
Tyson, Danny Richie does not sell those very expensive resistances, so you will have to change them later, once you know the new values?

In his day I carefully researched the products and the company that manufactures Miflex and the same with Mills. The expensive Mundorf (they was my first choice, two years? ago) and others too.

Path Audio Resistors page only generates distrust, at least to me; the leap of faith is very big!

PS: I hope to see you soon in a video on the YouTube channel.

maty

« Reply #50 on: 21 Dec 2019, 11:48 am »
Moved
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2019, 09:57 am by maty »

maty

« Reply #51 on: 21 Dec 2019, 03:24 pm »
Moved
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2019, 09:57 am by maty »

maty

« Reply #52 on: 21 Dec 2019, 04:32 pm »
Comments about resitors moved to a new thread: Resistors with very low inductance -> speaker crossover
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2019, 09:58 am by maty »

SET Man

« Reply #53 on: 21 Dec 2019, 10:56 pm »
Hey!

Hmmm.... this thread sure got pretty long, maybe I should change the subject title to "Maty's speaker xover upgrade"  :icon_lol:

Anyway....

Received Miflex KPCU 0.22 uF 600V caps, and right off the bat, there are two HUGE problems:

1:  Miflex is gigantic compared to other 0.22 uF caps, much larger than Jupiter Copper or VH CuTF, larger than Duelund CAST.  It will not fit where I intended to place them  :duh:
2.  To make matters worse, Miflex is radial design, which makes it even more difficult to fit in many places designed for axial caps.

Sonic Craft does not allow returns on passive components (which I understand for a small company), so I am looking for someone who may want to trade a pair of used Jupiter copper 0.22 uF/600V with my brand new pair of Miflex 0.22 uF/600V caps.  I can throw in a pair of some other caps (like a nice pair of Vishay Roederstein MKP-1839 bypass caps or something).   :green:

MiflexJupiter by drjlo2, on Flickr
I'll make that trade.

Man! Those Miflex caps are pretty big! But I think I do have room in my amps for them. But look like Tyson already got the first dip on them. :lol:

OK, were was I on this? So, I did more reading and research on this and with a few mentioned that the Miflex can sound a bit forward. I decided to go with the Jupiter .22uf  600V copper paper and wax. Well, as mentioned before I fascinated by the use of old fashion natural materials in them. And they were still on sale at the Sonic Craft. As for Miflex, since they are not terribly expensive, I might try them down the road when they are on sale again. Although, it is a pain to lift my amps up and swap the caps in over again, they are 45lbs each. :weights:

I have been breaking the Jupiter caps the past 7 days 24/7 using my 40wpc Rotel integ amp speaker out to the caps and to dummy load resistor. Not at a high voltage but better than nothing.

One more thing, I actually realized that I do have another matched pair of Jensen .22uf PIO caps around, they are in my DIY NOS DAC as by pass caps. I don't really use that DAC now since I like the old NOS DAC better, so I might take them out an put them in my amps if Jupiter caps don't work out. Well, after all the past 20 years I've been tuning and listening to Jensen PIO caps in my amps.

Anyway, I'm putting the Jupitor caps in my amps tonight, but not sure if I will have time to fire up my system to really listen to them tonight. To be continue...

Buddy

maty

« Reply #54 on: 21 Jan 2020, 05:44 pm »
Deleted

You are right. coupling != bypass. My fault. You know, English is not my first language.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2020, 08:07 am by maty »

SET Man

« Reply #55 on: 21 Jan 2020, 11:54 pm »
Re: Klipsch Forte III Upgrade with Pictures! by Tyson
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=166996.msg1778521#msg1778521

Hey!

Although it is good to see members who are passionate and active here on AC.

But with all due respect Maty, again the post above have nothing to do with my post which is about caps in line level in tube equipment. I will not by pass my .22uf caps with any caps.

Anyway, I'm still working on my cap search but it will take a while, currently I have Miflex .22uf KPCU in my amps still. I want to give time listening to each one in my amps before I decided which one will stay.

But perhaps again, I should just change this thread to Maty's xover caps, resistors and etc talk?

Buddy

borism

« Reply #56 on: 22 Jan 2020, 12:54 am »
.... currently I have Miflex .22uf KPCU in my amps still. ....

Buddy, I thought you got Jupiter copper foil caps. Maybe Maty got you confused. :)

I really like the Jupiter caps in my Bottlehead Stereomour.

Boris

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #57 on: 22 Jan 2020, 02:11 am »
Buddy...my recommendation is to stick with the Jensen if you still like the sound of your system. I wouldn't be concerned about them going away...worry about that in another 20 years.

SET Man

« Reply #58 on: 23 Jan 2020, 03:17 am »
Buddy...my recommendation is to stick with the Jensen if you still like the sound of your system. I wouldn't be concerned about them going away...worry about that in another 20 years.

Buddy, I thought you got Jupiter copper foil caps. Maybe Maty got you confused. :)

I really like the Jupiter caps in my Bottlehead Stereomour.

Boris
Hey!

Bill, that's what I first thought too when I realized that I have another pair of the Jensen. But! Of course my curiosity got the best of me and I can't help it! :icon_lol:

So, here I am with these. Pick your flavor!

Boris, I was going to update this post when I'm ready. Yes, I had the Jupiter in my amps for a while and spent a good amount of time with them. And I can see why you like them. They do have a great tone overall.

But I can't help it so I got Miflex to try out also. The Miflex are much larger in size compared to the Jensen and Jupiter, luckily I do have room in my amps for them, but I needed to zip tied them in place. Like the Jupiter before I use my Rotel 40wpc integ amp to break them at speaker level for a week before I put try them in my amp, not ideal though since the voltage in my amp is higher but better than nothing.

I've only spent about 8 hours listening to the Miflex so I can't really say much about them for now. I want to take my time and make sure I really I get this right and keep the pair I really like in my amp. It is a pain to lift my amps and flip them over to change caps since they are 45lbs each.

After the Miflex I will put my extra pair of the Jensen back in just to see. Of course Jensen is gone, I think the closest now I think is the Audio Note UK copper PIO caps. There are two 0.22uf couplings caps in my amps, the other pair is also Jensen but they are OK, but replace the other two with says Miflex can be a challenge since the space there is tighter. And the saga continue on...

Buddy 

genjamon

« Reply #59 on: 23 Jan 2020, 03:46 am »
Did you give any thought to VCap ODAM?  I have Miflex coupling caps in my preamp, but space limitations mean I had to use a smaller value than is ideal into my low-ish input impedance amp. The ODAM are getting some really positive comments, but I have yet to see a comparison to the Miflex. But the ODAM are much smaller and could fit in smaller quarters. Comments I’ve read about them suggest there’s a chance they’re playing in the same league as Miflex or perhaps even higher. Just curious if you looked into them.