Dan's Room and CES info

modwright

Re: Dan's Room and CES info
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jan 2009, 06:30 pm »
The specific process on the showroom floor, my office and coffee area is not a paint, but rather a chemical die.  The process included a rough cut with diamond tool concrete grinder (machine and some hand work) that was gradually refined to a mirror polish.  At that time, an espresso brown colored die was introduced into the concrete, followed by a chemical mixture of densifiers and a sealant before it was final bushed/polished.  The result was fantastic and like I said, the cost was about $4.40/SF +/-.  I am VERY pleased with the result.

The same guys that did this for me also did a single-pass rough cut of the factory floor, after expoxy patching some rough spots, etc.  This then prepped it for application of a high-quality expoxy concrete paint.  I think that paint was something like $250/gal. and was a polyurea type of product if I am not mistaken.  Two coats of that on the factory floor and I have a light gray high-luster floor that is VERY strong and the finish is VERY difficult to damage.

Thanks,

Dan

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jan 2009, 06:33 pm »
  Two coats of that on the factory floor and I have a light gray high-luster floor that is VERY strong and the finish is VERY difficult to damage.

Thanks,

Dan

I bet my kids could and would scratch it.   There is not a material made that my 5 year old son couldn't damage.    :D

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #22 on: 2 Jan 2009, 06:36 pm »
Thanks Dan for the explanation.     :wink:

Do you know if he sprayed, or rolled the epoxy on the floor?

In my previous house I did paint the garage floor white. I did use a epoxy paint from Benjamin Moore. This worked well and stood up very well. Floor prep is the key, and important to have plastic below the floor to stop moisture coming up through the floor and lifting the paint.

Rocket_Ronny

modwright

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jan 2009, 07:08 pm »
I actually applied the epoxy paint myself with a VERY GOOD respirator as it was nasty stuff.  There is no plastic beneath the slab and we ARE in a very wet area, but the product seals well enough that this hasn't been a problem.  When they did the course grind, it took off all dirt and impurities in the surface.  I then swept it multiple times, followed by multiple damp moppings.  The first coat was put on VERY thin and allowed to soak into the porous concrete.  The second coat was then put on liberally.  The result was very good and I have had no bubbling at all.

Hope this helps someone out there as it is really not a process that you want to make a mistake on and have to re-do.

Thanks,

Dan

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #24 on: 2 Jan 2009, 07:24 pm »

Thanks again.

I cleaned the concrete multiple times using acid as well. Also used a shop vac at the end. All dust and dirt must be G O N E.

Concrete is a sealer of sorts, so as long as you don't have any cracks, or wet spots you should be o.k.

Did you roll, or spray the epoxy on? I rolled mine.

Also, I am the guy years ago, maybe 5 or so, don't remember now, who called you about modding the Behringer UltraCurve 24/98. You were interested until you saw how complicated the unit was to use for the end user.

Rocket_Ronny

Echo Busters

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jan 2009, 09:20 pm »
Hi Dan,

Thank you for the positive feedback.  Yes, the Bass Busters are located in the ideal position.  I should have pointed out in the earlier post that we are the manufacturers of Echo Busters products.  I did not realize that it's crucial to mention our status when discussing our products in this forum.  Thank you to the individual who pointed that out to us!

Mike

BudhaNl

« Reply #26 on: 3 Jan 2009, 03:36 pm »
Beautiful room Dan, and those panels look mighty interesting.

BTW, I'm looking forward to the first stories on the KWA, I saw on 6moons that they'll do a story.

modwright

« Reply #27 on: 8 Jan 2009, 09:15 pm »
The epoxy was rolled on, after a course grind, multiple shop-vac passes and a damp mop finish.  The poyurea(sp?) product as FANTASTIC and I have had no bubbling.

No worries about not saying that you are from Echo Busters - it is obvious in your name I believe.  Thanks for the info about placement.  I love your products!

Thank you all for the compliments on the room.  Our Mission Statement is 'ELEGANCE.SIMPLICITY.TRUTH' and the show room and everything we do is meant to fall in line.

At CES right now and we are making beautiful music with Audio Machina speakers and ARE utilizing the Art Acoustic Panels seen in the picture.  The business name BTW, is AAA Art and Acoustics.  I am merely helping to spread the work and perhaps aid in distribution.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

rydenfan

« Reply #28 on: 9 Jan 2009, 02:53 am »
Dan, have a great show  :thumb:

Did you get your tube yesterday??

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #29 on: 13 Jan 2009, 05:15 am »
DK, Dan got his tube, yes.   :)

Back from CES.  A great show...maybe a little off from last year (I was told) but great nonetheless.  The Venetian Tower Suites were quite reminiscent of RMAF, even with the elevator struggles and the wonderful discovery of using the rear stairs to navigate floors 29-31, 34.  However, the rooms were larger and wayyyy better sounding.  The walls were obviously considerably thicker.

Dan's room was very nice, but the people in it were even nicer.  Stephen and Carol are wayyyy nicer than Dan deserves.   :D   (Carol even came to my rescue when, on my arrival day, I failed to eat or drink anything for several hours and came back to the room with a splitting jetlag/dehydrated headache.  She homeopathically cured me with peppermint essences..along with some Motrin help.) :)

Dan had the amps in monoblock configuration, and along with the nice Audio Machina speakers and full Modwright electronics compliment, the room clearly had a sound that put it in the top five for me.  I suspect no small part of the nice sonic synergy created was due to the incredibly gorgeous AAA art panels, even way nicer looking than the picture gives them credit for.  Dan had four large panels along the front wall, and then a few of the side wall (same as pictured) squares.  The squares were also on display in the back of the room.  We did no a/b or with-and-without treatment tests (at least the times I was there), but it was obvious to all listeners that the room had a certain calmness that made it stand out. 

Dan informs us that Hong Kong is not going through the economic crisis quite as badly as we are, and he has sold a boatload of the amps already.  In fact, one of the demos is headed for HK as we speak.  Also I got the sense that other international folks showed huge interest in Dan's work at CES, and that this show will likely be seen as quite a success for our hero!! Congrats to Dan and all at Modwright. 

Editorial Note:  Across town the T.H.E Show was a dreadful mistake, a vast wasteland of dealers and manufacturers who likely demo'd to each other.  (I got a personal trip all by myself, in the Venetian-to-Alexis Park shuttle bus, and back again!! Luckily the shuttle driver was a very personable and attractive young woman).  One manufacturer told me that he had 7 visitors on Saturday; i was there about 5pm so I made 8 I guess.  Wow!  I don't fully blame the economy; the show was poorly advertised, a PITA to get to, and clearly a second-rate feel to it.  The Maggie demo was cool (another thread) but the show's overall lack of preparation was obvious.  For example, Ampzilla amps were showing with their close partner, VMPS speakers.  The program listed them as Amzilla and gave an email address at VPMS speakers!!! 

arthurs

« Reply #30 on: 13 Jan 2009, 05:59 am »
Dan's room was really great and I was glad I got there a bit early on Saturday as I had a chance to shoot the breeze with Dan for a bit....he remains one of the true nice guys (and tremendous talents) in audio.  I agree with Ted there was a real calm to the room that allowed the gear and speakers to shine, we listened to my demo cd a bit (I know Dan, I owe you the playlist with the Jazz version of Losing My Religion)  and it just really sounded great for a couple of tracks.  I was listening to how how good it was and looking at the room treatments and the clean lines of the amps and pre's and all with the glowing blue Modwright logos and I couldn't help but comment to Dan (kind of thinking out loud) man, it's a long way from modding Denon's in the basement eh?  That was a great listen and a good visit Dan, thanks for the hospitality it was great to see you!  If you PM me your address I'll just shoot you a copy of the disc and the playlist with it.

Art

kenreau

« Reply #31 on: 14 Jan 2009, 06:18 pm »
Any MWI room photos from CES?  I've skimmed a number of the show reports but haven't spotted Dan's room to date.

Thx,
Kenreau

Mariusz

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan 2009, 07:25 pm »
I have a couple of grey 'Corner Busters' from Echo Busters in the corners for bass treatment.  I also have a stack of panels treating the wall behind the listening position.

I just wanted to add that those are the frre-standing "Bass Busters", not "Corner Busters" on the floor in the room's corners.  Corner Busters are the trianguar ceiling corner traps that trisect the upper ceiling/wall/wall  juncture.  We also offer Acoustic Art on not only our Echo Buster absorption panels and Double Buster diffusion panels, but the Bass and Corner Busters as well as our Phase-4 control towers.  Any Echo Buster product may be ordered wrapped in an acooustically transparent fabric imprinted with digital images from our library or submittted by the purchaser.  The cost is only 15% above the regular cost of the items. 

I checked your website and they look really good.
I never ordered your products but owned two phase 4 bass traps which you sold to me after the NY (show demo) show few years back.

Mariusz

BobM

« Reply #33 on: 14 Jan 2009, 08:38 pm »
Dan - please tell us more about those traps, including links to more info, pricing, etc. These would go a long way toward improving WAF and looking less like baby mattresses hanging on the wall.

Thanks

rpf

« Reply #34 on: 14 Jan 2009, 09:44 pm »
I have a couple of bass busters as well and really like them. Tightened and focused the bass nicely.

AB

« Reply #35 on: 14 Jan 2009, 10:36 pm »
Pics!

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/ces4.htm

Scroll all the way to the bottom...

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #36 on: 14 Jan 2009, 11:42 pm »
Any MWI room photos from CES?  I've skimmed a number of the show reports but haven't spotted Dan's room to date.

Thx,
Kenreau

Hi Folks - I'm new to AudioCircle, but not to Modwright.  I've known Dan and his work since he was doing the prototype of the 9.0, which I owned and enjoyed many years ago.  I'm currently using his LS-36.5 and modified Transporter and couldn't be more happy with those components.  The Transporter is the most engaging digital front end I've ever had in my system and it really transformed it.

Dan pointed me over to this site a while back, and I just offered to post the pics of the room I did for him since I know he's swamped, having just returned from the show. I'd been meaning to join this site for a while, so what better time.  So here's a few pics of the room at CES (sorry the files are on the large side), which Dan shared with the fine Audio Machina speakers and acoustic art panels created by the PNW artist Stephen Yates.  The system sounded GREAT, needless to say, and the Audio Machina speakers were a fine complement to Dan's gear.  I'll let Dan fill in further details when he gets a moment, but thought I'd help him out by posting these for now.

I have one more of Dan's lovely assistant, Jessica, but it's not on this computer.  I'll post it later on.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #37 on: 14 Jan 2009, 11:52 pm »
Marco,
Welcome to the Circle.  Dan speaks highly of you!!  I asked Jessica if anyone had taken a picture of her; she said that a few had.   :D

Philistine

« Reply #38 on: 14 Jan 2009, 11:54 pm »
Marco - great photographs thanks for posting, room looks great.  My snaps never turn out like this, which camera did you use?

modwright

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jan 2009, 12:02 am »
I just wanted to thank Marco Prozzo personally for taking such great photos for us!  Marco does all of our ad work, photography and graphic art and design.  www.marcoprozzo.com.

We had a great show and I feel that not only did we have a beautiful looking room, but we also made beautiful music.  The Art and Acoustics panels (www.artandacoustics.com) helped the room issues a GREAT deal sonically, in addition to making are room look fabulous also!

I also want to thank Karl at Audio Machina for showing with us and his beautiful 'Maestro' speakers - www.audiomachina.com.

Thanks,

Dan W.