Inlaid Rosewood
Inlaid Maple
Inlaid Oak
Inlaid Walnut
Rosewood (no inlay)
Maple (no inlay)
Oak (no inlay)
Walnut (no inlay)

Poll: What new wood finish option should ACI offer?

BradJudy

Re: Poll: What new wood finish option should ACI offer?
« Reply #60 on: 13 Jun 2007, 09:16 pm »
I'm on record as preferring natural finishes for almost any wood.  I definitely second the response of natural cherry (like on the older style speakers/subs) as being a top choice.  I'm not a big fan of the "cherry" stained wood Sound Art China has used (not sure what wood it actually is these days - the old ELT stuff was birch). 

Walnut is also cool, as is a good maple. 

I prefer non-inlayed for any of the flavors of wood.

Whichever wood, I vote for a certified sustainable growth version.  Mark knows all about this and is taking this path in Cali, although I don't know how easy it is to do for each of the woods mentioned. 

Rashiki

« Reply #61 on: 14 Jun 2007, 12:49 am »
I voted for rosewood (no-inlay), but I'd also like to see no-inlay cherry. I'm not a fan of the inlay look.

-Rob

WG

« Reply #62 on: 14 Jun 2007, 02:09 am »
Mike,

I voted for the Rosewood, no inlay.  You may want to consider an option for some Custom "Hotrod" finishes, that would have extended lead time.  I have perused gallery pictures from the Salk website, and some of those custom finish cabinets are just stunning.  Maccasar Ebony, Mexican Cocobolo, and various Bubinga have been my favorites.

Regards,
Will

Mightyburner

« Reply #63 on: 14 Jun 2007, 02:52 am »
I prefer Satin Black as well but voted for Rosewood as an option.  :scratch:

Mudslide

« Reply #64 on: 14 Jun 2007, 05:40 am »
I voted for oak...love red oak.  There is no such thing as too much oak, Mike.   :wink:

tiNG

« Reply #65 on: 14 Jun 2007, 06:58 am »

Another vote for the Rosewood (no-inlay).  Still using a pair of the 25th Anniv. Sapphire (Rosewood)...pondering upgrade...

rockadanny

« Reply #66 on: 14 Jun 2007, 10:57 am »
Rosewood. As beautiful as my rosewood Titan is (previous model), I prefer my sub to visually disappear within my room as well as sonically. Fortunately it does both. Somehow, sometime in the (near?) future, I will be adding another Titan for stereo subs - I like it THAT much!
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2007, 11:36 am by rockadanny »

JorgenMan

« Reply #67 on: 14 Jun 2007, 01:22 pm »
Walnut (no inlay) would be my pick.  It's a bit understated, but very easy on the eyes.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #68 on: 14 Jun 2007, 02:44 pm »

Whichever wood, I vote for a certified sustainable growth version.  Mark knows all about this and is taking this path in Cali, although I don't know how easy it is to do for each of the woods mentioned. 

Excellent point Brad, and something we're looking into . . . .

Lot's of excellent comments from everyone and much appreciated! I am seeing some trends, keep the ideas flowing.

BTW:  As promised, we will be drawing for the first B-Day Gift Coupon early next week, everyone who's posted in this thread is entered.

TjMV3

« Reply #69 on: 15 Jun 2007, 09:44 pm »
I voted for the Rosewood.  I love Rosewood!

I would love to see a floorstander,  maybe a two way ......two and a half way?  Or Three way driver floorstander,  that uses either mulitple Revelator drivers (just like the 5 1/2 inch drivers in the Sapphire XL ) or 6-8 inch versions of those Revelators.  Oh man,  I'm drooling just thinking about it!

KKM

« Reply #70 on: 16 Jun 2007, 04:35 am »
Inlaid Rosewood, very lush.

Mark Patrick Chudecke

« Reply #71 on: 18 Jun 2007, 07:31 am »
A lightly bleached beech wood. Great musical extension on Subs. Forward firing preferred, EQ decrease, outboard remote, better cone-speakers.... High resolution and definition is optimum.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #72 on: 19 Jun 2007, 03:49 pm »
In the past I've always prefferred rosewood, but I think the walnut would be a better option (at least for me and for furniture matching).  The inlaid option looks good, but I think I'd like the no-inlay for the long run.

What about a floorstanding version of the Sapphire XL to eliminate the need for stands?  Does the volume of the box at the back of the speakers serve a purpose other than volume (doe the added length of the Sapphire XL help its sound)?  Or could that be incoprated into the volume of a floorstanding box?

Just wondering.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #73 on: 20 Jun 2007, 12:50 pm »
In the past I've always prefferred rosewood, but I think the walnut would be a better option (at least for me and for furniture matching).  The inlaid option looks good, but I think I'd like the no-inlay for the long run.

What about a floorstanding version of the Sapphire XL to eliminate the need for stands?  Does the volume of the box at the back of the speakers serve a purpose other than volume (doe the added length of the Sapphire XL help its sound)?  Or could that be incoprated into the volume of a floorstanding box?

Just wondering.

Good questions . . .  a couple of points:
- The "bump out" doesn't just give us added depth (which is a plus) it also varies the internal width AND breaks up resonant modes in the sides . . .  both are very desirable
- Turning it into a floorstander would eliminate the stands, but that additional wood will also have a cost . . . and unless the whole additional chamber was to be filled with something like sand, it will be a resonant chamber which will have adverse sonic effects.

Rocket

« Reply #74 on: 20 Jun 2007, 11:47 pm »
Hi,

I voted for rosewood.  It looks classy imo.

Regards

Rod

WEEZ

« Reply #75 on: 20 Jun 2007, 11:55 pm »
Way back in Feb. I voted for Walnut..no inlay. (it's a throwback to the old days...)

Satin black is good too.

WEEZ

Joe Havlik

« Reply #76 on: 24 Jun 2007, 01:29 pm »
I think maple, especially if you can get the quilted look like those seen on guitar bodies.

twhditto

« Reply #77 on: 25 Jun 2007, 08:53 pm »
Always a lurker and first post - I love the walnut! But would love to see an exotic like Zebrano, with a black inlay.

Ross @ ACI

« Reply #78 on: 26 Jun 2007, 06:02 pm »
Thank you all for posting in this thread and keep it up! The winner of the drawing for the $50 ACI Gift Certificate is: tomagardner.  Please contact Mike D. for your certificate! Stay in touch here, at the ACI website and in the ACI Confidential e-newsletter for more birthday prizes and action.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #79 on: 27 Jun 2007, 06:05 pm »
Thank you all for posting in this thread and keep it up! The winner of the drawing for the $50 ACI Gift Certificate is: tomagardner.  Please contact Mike D. for your certificate! Stay in touch here, at the ACI website and in the ACI Confidential e-newsletter for more birthday prizes and action.

Congratulations! So who will win the next GC?