Inlaid Rosewood
Inlaid Maple
Inlaid Oak
Inlaid Walnut
Rosewood (no inlay)
Maple (no inlay)
Oak (no inlay)
Walnut (no inlay)

Poll: What new wood finish option should ACI offer?

Mike Dzurko

Poll: What new wood finish option should ACI offer?
« on: 11 Feb 2007, 04:40 pm »
We've always had pride in our fine wood finishes. As the XL series gets rolling, we plan to add a second inlaid wood option. Availability in some models could be as soon as this summer. We want your input!

Since we're celebrating 30 years, we're planning on some cool prize drawings later in the year. Anyone who votes and posts their ideas will automatically recieve one entry. The more entries we get, the more prizes we'll offer . . . . so get involved!   :D
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2007, 10:16 pm by Mike Dzurko »

St_PatGuy

Re: Poll: What new wood finish option should ACI offer?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2007, 05:39 pm »
First post at Audiocircle, but I've been a reader for quite a while. 

Mike, I voted for maple, but it may be too much of a contrast with the black edges.  Any chance of offering two wood options--perhaps maple for the panels and a darker wood like cherry or walnut for the edging?  This is probably not a viable option, or may be more expensive than it's worth, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2007, 06:07 pm »
As much as I'd love to see Rosewood, I voted for Oak to have something in a completely different color for better options of furniture matching.

Bryan

musicman06

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2007, 07:21 pm »
Agreed the oak, maple, walnut options tend to be easier to match to existing or other furniture than something like rosewood. Though I'll admit if AV123 is any indication those rosewood finishes look awfully nice. My speakers are actually maple veneer with black grill and look good to me. I'll say oak.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2007, 08:00 pm »
Mike. I had the impression that you work(ed?) with MLS at AV123. If you've not been to that forum lately, there are some threads about Marks' new factory in Cali Columbia. They are now making their own veneer with woods that are very exciting. Suggest you give Mark a call for some exciting new options. If this thread in in anticipation of those new options, then you're one step ahead of me.

tomagardner

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2007, 08:13 pm »
I prefer to not see the speaker, so I prefer flat black.

Still saving up for my Sapphire center.

Tom in Denver

circularduck

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2007, 09:51 pm »
Of the options listed, I chose Walnut.  I just think that finish can be done well.

nature boy

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2007, 09:56 pm »
Mike,

Personally I would like to see a more natural (lighter, less red) version of the cherry inlaid.  I think this would be a real winner.

NB

Zero

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2007, 12:02 am »
Mike,

If you can, I'd check out what Mark Schifter is doing over in Cali, Columbia. Amazing things are about to happen - if you can by chance shift your cab facilities over there.. the sky may be the limit.

btw: I voted walnut.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2007, 12:09 am »
I second the natural cherry, very much like what B&W is selling.

However, I really don't like the inlaid corners.  Just my opinion, but I think it cheapens the look.

Zero

« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2007, 12:17 am »
Also agree with srb about the 'inlaid' look. hehe

ajayrav

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2007, 12:33 am »
Mike. I had the impression that you work(ed?) with MLS at AV123. If you've not been to that forum lately, there are some threads about Marks' new factory in Cali Columbia. They are now making their own veneer with woods that are very exciting. Suggest you give Mark a call for some exciting new options. If this thread in in anticipation of those new options, then you're one step ahead of me.

Stacked birch all the way!  Its MLS' newest finish and it is a BEAUT!

How do I attach pictures???? In absence of that here is a thread showing the finish I'm talking about....
http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?s=c86e1744cf3fb64f65b375a4017c3f85&threadid=19020

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2007, 12:38 am »
Lots of good stuff to be sure with lots of different opinions already (as I suspected there would be) . . . .

Regarding the redness  of the cherry, is this in response to actually seeing the cabinets or the pictures on our website? I ask because I haven't gotten this feedback before from Inlaid Cherry buyers, and often they've commented how much better they look than the pics ( we need BETTER pics!)

Yes, I've known all about what Mark is doing in Columbia for quite a while, he is a busy man to be sure.  What I'm most interested in here is what our customers and potential customers would be most likely to purchase. Thanks!

And Tom, we have you covered, Satin Black WILL remain in the lineup :)

listen

« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2007, 01:33 am »
Hi Mike,
Out of the choices listed, I think Maple would be my selection, though all the woods there would seem to make excellent matches to many decor.  Another wood veneer that you may want to investigate is Koa wood.  It mainly has a deep golden color, with high grade exhibiting curl and pillowing.  Its a wood often used in higher-end guitars and ukuleles (I think Taylor guitars has such a model).  Iw ish I could post a picture here, but at least a link will help.

http://volcanogallery.com/aboutkoa.htm
http://www.sheppardguitars.com/koa1.htm

Thanks for giving us an opportunity to have input!

Subaro

« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2007, 12:13 pm »
Walnut or maple, but I still like the black.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2007, 09:38 am »
Oak, Oak, and more Oak! AFAIC, your lack of quality wood finishes is ACI's major drawback. My whole system, hell my whole home theme is oak so Mike, your red and black speakers wouldn't even get a listen in my home. If I fell in love with the sound, it would only hurt that much more that i couldn't keep them.  :?

Robin

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2007, 05:54 pm »
Robin:

What finish? Heck, we've had oak finishes for the last 30 years  . . .  where were you?  :lol:

Oak was one of our mainstays for years, but over the last few years the demand for oak has been pretty low overall. Before the XL series, cherry was selling more than oak, black oak, walnut, rosewalnut, mahogany, and maple combined! The previous two homes I had featured a lot of oak trim, and I did NOT want oak speakers, I wanted something that didn't just blend in, in my case I usually preferred cherry but a lot of people like Piano Black with oak. Was just in a high-end model home this Sunday and it followed a theme I've seen a lot . . .  oak trim and doors with a cherry kitchen.

I appreciate the input, keep it coming, a lot of different opinions are great!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2007, 06:18 pm »
Gee Mike, sorry about that. I only see black & cherry when i go to your site. I just took it for grated that was all that was available. My bad.  :oops:

Robin

nature boy

« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2007, 06:27 pm »
Regarding the redness  of the cherry, is this in response to actually seeing the cabinets or the pictures on our website? I ask because I haven't gotten this feedback before from Inlaid Cherry buyers, and often they've commented how much better they look than the pics ( we need BETTER pics!)

Mike,

In my case this is in response to the pictures on the website.  Natural cherry, unstained cherry, has more of a brownish than red color.

NB

JEaton

« Reply #19 on: 14 Feb 2007, 07:06 pm »
I agree with the previous posters that the inlaid look isn't at all attractive to me.  I prefer well-done, but understated finishes.

My first vote would be for natural cherry, no inlaid corners.  Oak is a little dated and looks a bit DIY these days.  Since the piano black finish is essentially a paint job, I would think other color choices would be a simple option, even if they came with an extended lead time.

One other thing that would be great would be a no grill option, with no mounting holes in the front baffle.