Welcome to the Forum - Introduce Yourself

Eric

Re: Welcome to the Forum - Introduce Yourself
« Reply #80 on: 26 Dec 2006, 04:41 pm »
Welcome!!

orlsrg

« Reply #81 on: 27 Jan 2007, 06:37 pm »
About 9-10 years ago I built a passive subwoofer from an ACI kit.  It had a 10" driver with crossover parts and I built the cabinet.  I have been well pleased with the results.  I recently built a pair of speakers for right and left stereo and would like to incorporate the sub into a 2.1 system.  I don't know the crossover for the sub, but suspect it was designed at about 80 hz.  The problem is that I would like the crossover to occur at 150 hz due to the design of the main speakers.

The system now has the right and left channels fed to the sub which splits the signal from there to the main speakers.  Any thoughts on how I could do that?  Thanks.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #82 on: 28 Jan 2007, 04:18 pm »
About 9-10 years ago I built a passive subwoofer from an ACI kit.  It had a 10" driver with crossover parts and I built the cabinet.  I have been well pleased with the results.  I recently built a pair of speakers for right and left stereo and would like to incorporate the sub into a 2.1 system.  I don't know the crossover for the sub, but suspect it was designed at about 80 hz.  The problem is that I would like the crossover to occur at 150 hz due to the design of the main speakers.

The system now has the right and left channels fed to the sub which splits the signal from there to the main speakers.  Any thoughts on how I could do that?  Thanks.

I don't remember selling a 10" sub kit, we did have the LV sub 12"?  I think the crossover was around 100Hz. If you move it up, the sub will start to be easily localized . . .
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2007, 10:06 pm by Mike Dzurko »

RichardB

« Reply #83 on: 3 Feb 2007, 01:03 am »
Hi all,
My name is Richard. About 20 years ago I put together a pair of ACI G3s I think. Loved them for a long time but things chnaged. I replaced them with a set of Panoramas and was some what pleased but still had some sonic issues. The wife really missed the bass of the old system. I added another makes sub but it did not do the job. I have ordered two titans that I hope will meet the wife's expectations for musicality and deep. We have replaced the turn table and CD players but still don't have the sound I'd hope for. The quest goes on.

The old G3s did not go away went a bedroom system and are powered by a 1960 dual mono marantz amp. They still provide nice highs and bass. The mids are provide by a pair of electovoice horns drive by two 30 watt tube amps. Might funky sound stage but we will be working on that also.
Richard

Ross @ ACI

« Reply #84 on: 5 Feb 2007, 09:31 pm »
Hi all,
My name is Richard. About 20 years ago I put together a pair of ACI G3s I think. Loved them for a long time but things chnaged. I replaced them with a set of Panoramas and was some what pleased but still had some sonic issues. The wife really missed the bass of the old system. I added another makes sub but it did not do the job. I have ordered two titans that I hope will meet the wife's expectations for musicality and deep. We have replaced the turn table and CD players but still don't have the sound I'd hope for. The quest goes on.

The old G3s did not go away went a bedroom system and are powered by a 1960 dual mono marantz amp. They still provide nice highs and bass. The mids are provide by a pair of electovoice horns drive by two 30 watt tube amps. Might funky sound stage but we will be working on that also.
Richard
Welcome to the forum Richard. If you have an questions, this is a great place to get a quick answer.  For sure, a pair of Titan XLs will provide all the bass you could want and more

Eric

« Reply #85 on: 6 Feb 2007, 06:40 pm »
Welcome to the ACI forums

mickleft

« Reply #86 on: 10 Feb 2007, 12:11 am »
Hello     my story goes like this.  became familiar with aci in 1989.purchased a sub kit to complement my ohm/walsh 4's.still using this setup . looking to buy sapphire xl's and (2) force xl's. need to determine amp (opened minded to anything but need a remote for volume control and under $2000), speaker cables and additional tools for room accoustic setup.

Ross @ ACI

« Reply #87 on: 10 Feb 2007, 07:43 pm »
Hello     my story goes like this.  became familiar with aci in 1989.purchased a sub kit to complement my ohm/walsh 4's.still using this setup . looking to buy sapphire xl's and (2) force xl's. need to determine amp (opened minded to anything but need a remote for volume control and under $2000), speaker cables and additional tools for room accoustic setup.

Welcome! It's great to see the old school customers come around the forum.  I'd suggest checking out some of the current threads on amplification and adding questions there as well.  A pair of Sapphire XLs w/ a pair of Force XLs is going to sound incredible!

Eric

« Reply #88 on: 13 Feb 2007, 05:11 pm »

Welcome to the ACI forums

Joe_K

« Reply #89 on: 16 Feb 2007, 05:50 pm »
Hi,
Thought I would introduce myself, I have been familiar with ACI for a while now as I found an 1988 catalog in my files! Anyway I've been on this forum as a tourist for maybe a year as I shopped for subs. I am the proud owner of a pair of Maestros!  :D (Thanks to Mike, Brenda, everyone at ACI and the special(s) at the end of last year!)

How does one install seat belts to the listening chair? :D
Joe
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2007, 06:13 pm by Joe_K »

Eric

« Reply #90 on: 16 Feb 2007, 07:51 pm »
Hi Mark,

Welcome. I have been an ACI owner for 6 years and love them

soberbill

Introducing myself
« Reply #91 on: 10 Jul 2007, 06:39 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm probably an odd-ball around here.

I've been a fan of ACI since the early 1980s, but have never purchased a product.  Came close several times.  I was working on a system based on the old Gold 3.0 ribbon & isoberic dynaudio 30W100 sub system.  My grand parents were still alive lived in La Crosse.  I got a chance to listen to a pair of the 30W54 based subs with a smaller 3 way system (sorry don't remeber the name anymore) at a ware house.  This warehouse I believe was the old headquarters before the move to the church.

I keep coming back and just when I'm about to make a purchase, something pops up and I end up in a different direction either family wise or with my speakers.

Presently, I'm using a pair of the very old and rare Sony Esprit APM-8s.  If anyone ever finds themselves in the Milwaukee area, shoot me an e-mail and perhaps we can arrange a short, little audition of these refridgertor sized rairities.

With my love of organ music & moving towards a system which will surve both high end audio & video for the wife/kids I am eventually going to end up with an easier to place system.  My guess it will probably be 5 Saphire XLs with 1 or 2 Maestro XL subs, several of Dave Belles' amps and I'm still unsure of what processor I'll end up with.

Been sober since 1983, God willing, looking at 25 years soon.

Bill

Jeff Owens

« Reply #92 on: 24 Aug 2007, 12:13 pm »
Good morning from New Jersey.  I built a pair of Pulse sub-woofers long, long ago - March of 1990.  At least one of the rubber surrounds on the 10" drivers is bad.  Is there a replacement driver out there?  Is there a way to fix the surround?  

I still use a pair of original Titans (not the sub-woofer) that I built in 1987 and rebuilt in 1995, plus compact monitors paired with the Pulse subs.  Still love 'em.

Eric

« Reply #93 on: 24 Aug 2007, 03:37 pm »
Good morning from New Jersey.  I built a pair of Pulse sub-woofers long, long ago - March of 1990.  At least one of the rubber surrounds on the 10" drivers is bad.  Is there a replacement driver out there?  Is there a way to fix the surround?  

I still use a pair of original Titans (not the sub-woofer) that I built in 1987 and rebuilt in 1995, plus compact monitors paired with the Pulse subs.  Still love 'em.

Welcome to the ACI forum!!!

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #94 on: 25 Aug 2007, 01:03 pm »
Hey Jeff, good to hear from you. We have a drop in replacement driver for your 10s, called the AC10E . . . PM me to remind me to check on price for you, with the move, I'll forget otherwise  :duh:

frank Adamski

DIY sub Xover
« Reply #95 on: 24 Sep 2007, 08:27 pm »
Been a happy fan and user of ACI for many years with four of your systems.

I have the Sapphire II's and would like to make a sub with passive xover due to the cost that I must keep down.

I havent taken the back off to draw a schematic to determine what type xover it has but need guidance on the type to build.  My driver/enclosure is smooth up to 500 and would like to choose 200 as a happy medium ( I am an amateur, ya know) on the crossover point.

My little understanding of filters cautions me to ensure this lowpass can interfere with the sapphires as the signal would enter the sub and leave, entering the sapphires.  Am I somewhat on target and if yes, what type would be best?

Frank A.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #96 on: 24 Sep 2007, 09:23 pm »
Hello Everyone,

John Prator here and the proud owner of an ACI Titan II LE in cherry. Have owned her trouble free since around 2002 or so. Great sub that blends in with electrostats quite well. For now that is my only ACI speaker but someday i hope to own a nice set of........well I'm not sure which model yet but I know it will be made by ACI.

Best Regards,
John

Mike Dzurko

Re: DIY sub Xover
« Reply #97 on: 25 Sep 2007, 01:15 pm »
Been a happy fan and user of ACI for many years with four of your systems.

I have the Sapphire II's and would like to make a sub with passive xover due to the cost that I must keep down.

I havent taken the back off to draw a schematic to determine what type xover it has but need guidance on the type to build.  My driver/enclosure is smooth up to 500 and would like to choose 200 as a happy medium ( I am an amateur, ya know) on the crossover point.

My little understanding of filters cautions me to ensure this lowpass can interfere with the sapphires as the signal would enter the sub and leave, entering the sapphires.  Am I somewhat on target and if yes, what type would be best?
Frank A.

Frank:

That's not an easy answer . . . you are correct in assuming that any high-pass filter you put in front of the Sapphire's existing crossovers will have some interaction.  If you want to keep it simple, I'd suggest just starting with a high-quality series capacitor . . .  you might also want to try some of the DIY boards where they thrive on this sort of stuff :)

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #98 on: 25 Sep 2007, 01:25 pm »
Hello Everyone,

John Prator here and the proud owner of an ACI Titan II LE in cherry. Have owned her trouble free since around 2002 or so. Great sub that blends in with electrostats quite well. For now that is my only ACI speaker but someday i hope to own a nice set of........well I'm not sure which model yet but I know it will be made by ACI.

Best Regards,
John

John:

Kool 8)  The Titan is a great sub for sure . . .  which electrostats have you paired it with?  A lot of people have found our subs to be some of the very few that really work well with electrostats and other planars . . .   

Eric

« Reply #99 on: 25 Sep 2007, 01:37 pm »
Welcome John and Frank!!