Eastern Electric DAC

Levi

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #400 on: 18 Mar 2010, 02:17 pm »
I think we covered the tubes extensively at NYAR thread.  Has anyone played around with OPAmps?  If implemented properly, they can be great.  Just wondering.

doctorcilantro

« Reply #401 on: 18 Mar 2010, 02:21 pm »
I think we covered the tubes extensively at NYAR thread.  Has anyone played around with OPAmps?  If implemented properly, they can be great.  Just wondering.

Not yet, but I did just swap some in my MAverick D1. I'll have to check my notes what I swapped in though.

Mariusz

« Reply #402 on: 18 Mar 2010, 02:47 pm »
Dear "Doctor"

You might want to post your prescription for Maverick DAC in this thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78467.msg751958;topicseen#new

Cheers
Mariusz :thumb:

Gopher

« Reply #403 on: 20 Mar 2010, 11:28 pm »
Does anyone have any tube recommendations for this DAC yet?  I tried a couple but ended up preferring stock, but I wonder if anything exceptional has been discovered.

John151

« Reply #404 on: 20 Mar 2010, 11:34 pm »
Does anyone have any tube recommendations for this DAC yet?  I tried a couple but ended up preferring stock, but I wonder if anything exceptional has been discovered.

Have you tried any Amperex tubes? 

Levi

« Reply #405 on: 21 Mar 2010, 03:45 am »
Well, I heard the Maveric DAC today and that sounded good.  However, when we switched to the EE Dac, the soundstage opened up.  The EE Dac sounding more palpable and natural.  Coming in from the cold, I preferred the sound of the EE Dac much better.  Even though the Maverick DAC is cheap, there is no way I am switching.  That's just me. 

Mariusz

« Reply #406 on: 21 Mar 2010, 04:58 am »
Thanks for your comparison Levi.
I am sure you are right.
Keep in mind that it might need more time to break in.
Perhaps better glass and op amp upgrade which looks pretty easy as far as skills go. (do not forget the X4 price difference)

And lastly - nobody claims Maveric's superiority. Rave impressions are solely based on value vs performance.

Come on Levi, it is $200 DAC/pre ...... what did you expect?

Is it a bargain? IMO yes!

Cheers
Mariusz :thumb: 

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #407 on: 21 Mar 2010, 11:07 am »
Well, I heard the Maveric DAC today and that sounded good.  However, when we switched to the EE Dac, the soundstage opened up.  The EE Dac sounding more palpable and natural.  Coming in from the cold, I preferred the sound of the EE Dac much better.  Even though the Maverick DAC is cheap, there is no way I am switching.  That's just me.

May be the Maverick hasn't found the right tube yet?  Does the M. have that many tube options like the 12AU7? 

I've been rolling them tubes the past week, thanks to Paul M.  The EE's soundstage left to right, front to back, is just amazing, regardless which 12AU7 variant I put in there.  So, I concluded that it's the basic personality of the Sabre-based DAC.  I first put in a couple from my closet, JAN Sylvania, RCA 5814, and then Amperex 7316.  Of course, I started with the stock Shuguang.  The Shuguang is so-so, not much to write home about.  The RCA 5814 is bland.  With the JAN Sylvania I began to have improvements overall.  The EE became more musical and enjoyable.  The Amperex improved a lot.  And, I only use the tube output side.  I have had enough experience with opamps I thought.  Tube remains my preferred channel.

Then, I got a few from Paul (again, thanks Paul).  With each 12AU7 I put in, in this order: Tungsol, Mullard (GE), GE 5814 3 Mica BP, the mids got better (fuller, rounder, however you call it).  I emphasize the mids since them notes are all the most important.  The bass department is firm and focused also.  The tops also are pretty good with those tubes.

Then, I got the CV4003.   Wow, Levi, you're right again.  It's the crowning king, so far.  I usually use a personal favorite recording to judge the mids, Maria Joao Pires's Chopin Piano Concerto #2 (DG).  Her piano sounded sooooo good with my previous Shek DAC (NOS).  Believe it or not, even the CV4003 is still a notch less than the NOS Shek, based on 1543 I think.  The NOS just has yet a little more shine in the piano sound (harmonic richenss?).  Well..... can't have everything.  The CV4003 is very good, my holy grail so far.  Of course, Bill (O'Connell) has recommended the ultimate tube.  But..... $$$ is a consideration (Bill's recommendation would easily run $125). 

For the money, the EE is KING!  Give credit to Alex, Bill, and the Sabre chip!  Also, with the CV4003, the bass is very focused, and the tops are smoother also (than those quoted above).  The Maverick may hold its ground.  That's fine and dandy. :thumb:

Disclaimer:  This is just one person's experience/perception and opinion.  Don't mean to offend anyone. :thumb:

nature boy

« Reply #408 on: 21 Mar 2010, 11:29 am »
Interesting, I use a cyro'd Mullard CV4003 in my EE Minimax preamp and prefer the sound to all other 12AU7 tubes I've tried.  Sounds like Bill and Alex have another winner with the EE DAC.

NB

evan1

« Reply #409 on: 21 Mar 2010, 11:46 am »
May be the Maverick hasn't found the right tube yet?  Does the M. have that many tube options like the 12AU7? 

I've been rolling them tubes the past week, thanks to Paul M.  The EE's soundstage left to right, front to back, is just amazing, regardless which 12AU7 variant I put in there.  So, I concluded that it's the basic personality of the Sabre-based DAC.  I first put in a couple from my closet, JAN Sylvania, RCA 5814, and then Amperex 7316.  Of course, I started with the stock Shuguang.  The Shuguang is so-so, not much to write home about.  The RCA 5814 is bland.  With the JAN Sylvania I began to have improvements overall.  The EE became more musical and enjoyable.  The Amperex improved a lot.  And, I only use the tube output side.  I have had enough experience with opamps I thought.  Tube remains my preferred channel.

Then, I got a few from Paul (again, thanks Paul).  With each 12AU7 I put in, in this order: Tungsol, Mullard (GE), GE 5814 3 Mica BP, the mids got better (fuller, rounder, however you call it).  I emphasize the mids since them notes are all the most important.  The bass department is firm and focused also.  The tops also are pretty good with those tubes.

Then, I got the CV4003.   Wow, Levi, you're right again.  It's the crowning king, so far.  I usually use a personal favorite recording to judge the mids, Maria Joao Pires's Chopin Piano Concerto #2 (DG).  Her piano sounded sooooo good with my previous Shek DAC (NOS).  Believe it or not, even the CV4003 is still a notch less than the NOS Shek, based on 1543 I think.  The NOS just has yet a little more shine in the piano sound (harmonic richenss?).  Well..... can't have everything.  The CV4003 is very good, my holy grail so far.  Of course, Bill (O'Connell) has recommended the ultimate tube.  But..... $$$ is a consideration (Bill's recommendation would easily run $125). 

For the money, the EE is KING!  Give credit to Alex, Bill, and the Sabre chip!  Also, with the CV4003, the bass is very focused, and the tops are smoother also (than those quoted above).  The Maverick may hold its ground.  That's fine and dandy. :thumb:

Disclaimer:  This is just one person's experience/perception and opinion.  Don't mean to offend anyone. :thumb:

Don't listen to Levi.  :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: The unit had the stock tube in it . It sounds totally different when you tube roll. The tubes are not part of the tour. I gave Paul the WE396a tube and you'll hear the difference when you go to his place WED.

DISCLAIMER:(I like that) Not thread jacking and not debating. We just did not listen to these dacs under controlled enviroments,and no tube rolling. 5 minutes at tops for each dac.Too much swapping and partying and too many people

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #410 on: 21 Mar 2010, 12:04 pm »

...................I gave Paul the WE396a tube and you'll hear the difference when you go to his place WED.

Not sure will be at Paul's Wed.  Think he said it'll be during the day.  May be he'll still be around later in the afternoon, if I should drop by say by 6 p.m.....?

evan1

« Reply #411 on: 21 Mar 2010, 12:14 pm »
Not sure will be at Paul's Wed.  Think he said it'll be during the day.  May be he'll still be around later in the afternoon, if I should drop by say by 6 p.m.....?

Check with him, I will not be there.

PeteG

« Reply #412 on: 21 Mar 2010, 02:38 pm »
I agree about the soundstage, it’s one of the highlights of this Dac. It also handles 24/96 24/192 music very well.  I ordered a Mullard CV4003 tube on everyone’s recommendations.

Thanks

John151

« Reply #413 on: 21 Mar 2010, 04:28 pm »
Has anyone tried an E80CC tube?  Any thoughts on compatibility of E80CC tubes with the EE DAC? 

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #414 on: 21 Mar 2010, 04:44 pm »
Has anyone tried an E80CC tube?  Any thoughts on compatibility of E80CC tubes with the EE DAC?

Hi John,

I've tried just the pinched waist D getter E80CC, this tube is very energetic, if you want stop by and I'll loan it out to you and you can decide for yourself in your system to see if it fits your taste.You have to take off the tube shield as this tube is probably twice the length of a 12au7 so you will not be able to put back on the tube shield when using the E80CC.

Call me just to make sure I haven't run to the office or Carolyn hasn't found something for me to do :lol:

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #415 on: 21 Mar 2010, 05:24 pm »
Bill
I am interested in the DAC but don't see it on your company website????? Am I looking in the wrong spot?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #416 on: 21 Mar 2010, 05:27 pm »
Bill
I am interested in the DAC but don't see it on your company website????? Am I looking in the wrong spot?

http://www.morningstaraudio.com/ The website link is directly under Bill's username, the 2nd icon from the left of the 4 links there.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

David C

« Reply #417 on: 21 Mar 2010, 05:32 pm »
Robin
thanks. That would be the products tab but I still don't see a DAC. am I being dense?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #418 on: 21 Mar 2010, 05:45 pm »
Robin
thanks. That would be the products tab but I still don't see a DAC. am I being dense?

No Dave, it's all me.  :duh:  Guess the Dac is a special order at this point and Bill hasn't listed it. Here's Bill's A'gon ad of the Dac, guess that's all there is.

Cheers,
Robin

David C

« Reply #419 on: 21 Mar 2010, 06:02 pm »
Robin
no worries and thanks for the link. By the way I am a big Red Sox fan :icon_lol: