NFL 2023/24

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: NFL 2023/24
« Reply #300 on: 17 Jan 2024, 02:52 am »
No, my reference was to last nites game. But as you and I exchanged posts a few days back, their collapse(like P'burg did) from a 10-1 start and given the fact they went to the SB last year is without question epic !

Last nites game and the absolute pathetic plays on defense, inability to 'tackle' is but one example. This AM our local talking heads on Philly TV, some of which are blaming coaching ???? Total BS, you're in the NFL for Gods sake, should have learned to tackle before you get to this level ! But no, so many of these clowns want their 5 sec of highlight fame to be show with the 'big hit'. Just but one example of why I haven't wasted my time watching a complete game in many a year !

As for your question with regards to the teams they beat during the regular season.........'old news', meaningless !

Well, I would disagree.  There's an old axium that Superbowl losers always collapse the following year.  So no, it's not epic, I believe you yourself said they played crappy to 10-1, they just found ways to win, and you were right.  I think the Lions were 1-5 to start, did they have an epic collapse then?  My contention is that's it's football, every game counts to a total when you arrive at the end of the season.  Slumps and streaks matter during the season, but as you noted, that's ancient history.  It's a new season, if the Eagles or Steelers had won it would be a whole new story, just as it actually is for Houston.

It is the coaching regarding the Eagles.  You're not wrong, most of the time it is the Willy's and Joe's, but the Eagles are different.  They had fabulously innovative coordinators that are now successful head coaches and they weren't replaced.  After the 49ers game the players stopped believing that the current staff had the slightest idea how to run either the offense or defense.  Hurts is the ultimate team diplomat and it was sneaking through with him.  Siriani needs to prove he can attract top quality coaching.

jjss49

« Reply #301 on: 17 Jan 2024, 04:12 am »
Hilarious.  You do realize that all but one team loses in this and they aren't totally dismantled, right?  And that the Eagles were without two major weapons on offense.  The big issue with the Eagles isn't their team, it's that they lost both coordinators and haven't found quality replacements.  They looked bad when they were winning.  Hurts was badly injured for nearly the entire season and battled through.  Disappointing for sure, but they're far from sunk.

i suppose this is the great thing about fervent fandom... people otherwise with brains can't admit to what they (and everyone else) are seeing with their own eyes...   :lol: :duh:

twitch54

« Reply #302 on: 17 Jan 2024, 03:34 pm »

Well, I would disagree.  There's an old axium that Superbowl losers always collapse the following year.  So no, it's not epic, I believe you yourself said they played crappy to 10-1, they just found ways to win, and you were right.  I think the Lions were 1-5 to start, did they have an epic collapse then?  My contention is that's it's football, every game counts to a total when you arrive at the end of the season.  Slumps and streaks matter during the season, but as you noted, that's ancient history.  It's a new season, if the Eagles or Steelers had won it would be a whole new story, just as it actually is for Houston.

It is the coaching regarding the Eagles.  You're not wrong, most of the time it is the Willy's and Joe's, but the Eagles are different.  They had fabulously innovative coordinators that are now successful head coaches and they weren't replaced.  After the 49ers game the players stopped believing that the current staff had the slightest idea how to run either the offense or defense.  Hurts is the ultimate team diplomat and it was sneaking through with him.  Siriani needs to prove he can attract top quality coaching.

Living outside Philly now it's interesting to hear all the media BS circulating about after this debacle of a season. Yes, plenty of blame to go around for sure, including upper mg'mt. But, regardless of 'coaching', EVERYONE in the this area is in agreement with regards to the Monday nite collapse, the players DID NOT execute ! Regardless of coaching decisions. Did the players loos confidence / respect for their coaching staff ? Can't argue with you on that one, but again, help me with the definition of the word 'professional' ?   :wink:

I know you're an old fart like me, so you remember when great players didn't get carried away with celebratory BS like they do today. Jim Brown, played nine seasons, never missed a game and what did he do when he crossed the goal line ? he dropped the ball !!!

Seeing that Bflo is my 'home team', sure I'll pull for them, but I won't loose a moment of sleep when they bow out in the next week or two............

Pitchers and catchers report in less than 6 weeks..........go Phillies !!

rodge827

« Reply #303 on: 17 Jan 2024, 03:43 pm »

Pitchers and catchers report in less than 6 weeks..........go Phillies !!

:thumb:

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #304 on: 18 Jan 2024, 01:09 am »
Let the games begin

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #305 on: 18 Jan 2024, 11:09 am »
i suppose this is the great thing about fervent fandom... people otherwise with brains can't admit to what they (and everyone else) are seeing with their own eyes...   :lol: :duh:

I suppose this is what you get when you listen to TV pundits instead of thinking for yourself.  I've been consistent throughout the year in my opinion of the Eagles and where their problems living up to their potential lie. 

The NFL is broken.  On purpose.  It was broken by themselves in a quixotic search for mutually exclusive goals of team parity and increased scoring.  The owners all wanted a chance at a Superbowl trophy so now we have mostly mediocre teams hovering around 500 and almost half the teams getting into the playoffs, combined with a QB driven game dominated by a constant search for the next Brady or Mahomes.  The same thing happens with coaches, a never ending churn of coordinators and position coaches moving from team to team leaving players in their wake trying to adjust to new systems each year. 

That's what happened to the Eagles.  They had brilliant offensive and defensive coordinators who devised game plans that adjusted at the line of scrimmage, not at half time or after the series on the bench.  After one season of success those guys left for head coaching jobs and the replacements don't understand how it works, so tried to go back to old style playbooks.  The players aren't stupid, they know it's a joke, and finally they stop buying into the baloney.  You are going to get hurt tackling players in the NFL.  You might play the next down, but there's a price to be paid with every play.  If you're a professional looking to maximize your earnings you make a business decision if it's worth the cost for your bosses who are going to be gone next year.  Don't even get me started on the referees.

twitch54

« Reply #306 on: 18 Jan 2024, 01:58 pm »
I suppose this is what you get when you listen to TV pundits instead of thinking for yourself.  I've been consistent throughout the year in my opinion of the Eagles and where their problems living up to their potential lie. 

The NFL is broken.  On purpose.  It was broken by themselves in a quixotic search for mutually exclusive goals of team parity and increased scoring.  The owners all wanted a chance at a Superbowl trophy so now we have mostly mediocre teams hovering around 500 and almost half the teams getting into the playoffs, combined with a QB driven game dominated by a constant search for the next Brady or Mahomes.  The same thing happens with coaches, a never ending churn of coordinators and position coaches moving from team to team leaving players in their wake trying to adjust to new systems each year. 

That's what happened to the Eagles.  They had brilliant offensive and defensive coordinators who devised game plans that adjusted at the line of scrimmage, not at half time or after the series on the bench.  After one season of success those guys left for head coaching jobs and the replacements don't understand how it works, so tried to go back to old style playbooks.  The players aren't stupid, they know it's a joke, and finally they stop buying into the baloney.  You are going to get hurt tackling players in the NFL.  You might play the next down, but there's a price to be paid with every play.  If you're a professional looking to maximize your earnings you make a business decision if it's worth the cost for your bosses who are going to be gone next year.  Don't even get me started on the referees.

All solid, valid points  :thumb:

Like most things in life, if in doubt, 'follow the money' !

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #307 on: 21 Jan 2024, 12:24 am »
I've got my answer, the Texans come up short when they meet up with a really good team.

stlrman

« Reply #308 on: 21 Jan 2024, 03:57 am »
 Greenbay/ SF game is awesome !!

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #309 on: 21 Jan 2024, 04:19 am »
Whoa!  Whoomp there it is!  :o

Time to enjoy some treats from B Patisserie

vrao81

« Reply #310 on: 21 Jan 2024, 04:23 am »
Packers SF a close game! 49ers gut it out.

JCarney

« Reply #311 on: 21 Jan 2024, 10:26 pm »
Tampa and Mayfield will just not go away. I can't get the game, but I have been checking on ESPN and every time Detroit scores, Tampa answers.  :lol:
Edit:Until the Bucs gave up back to back td's. Oh well.  :lol:
JCarney

vrao81

« Reply #312 on: 21 Jan 2024, 11:14 pm »
Loins to NFC championship..where they will probably get carved up by 49ers.

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #313 on: 21 Jan 2024, 11:51 pm »
Loins to NFC championship..where they will probably get carved up by 49ers.

Not necessarily.  It was Purdy bad when he almost had two interceptions for pick 6’s.  Hope that was a wake up call for the Niners. However I’ll be looking forward to celebratory banana cream tarts and morning buns from Tartine Bakery SF next.

vrao81

« Reply #314 on: 22 Jan 2024, 02:44 am »
Bills lose....lol
Ghost of Scott Norwood came back to haunt Buffalo.
Wide Right part 2.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #315 on: 22 Jan 2024, 02:52 am »
Valiant effort by the Bills, I thought they were going to win it at the end.  Just too many dropped passes and of course, the Buffalo football motto, Wide Right.  The fans looked visibly wounded.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #316 on: 22 Jan 2024, 11:22 am »
Those were both really good games.
I wonder if the Chiefs can get through Baltimore? 

AllanS

« Reply #317 on: 22 Jan 2024, 12:50 pm »
I’m bummed the Bills lost.  I’m a Ninerz fan when paying attention to football but in the back of my mind I was thinking how much I’d like to see Detroit and Buffalo in the Super Bowl.

mcgsxr

« Reply #318 on: 22 Jan 2024, 02:51 pm »
I was sad to see the Bills lose, I was pulling for them.  My wife and daughter were elated to see KC continue, as they're all in on the whole Swift thing.

A Bills vs Lions SB would be the closest possible 2 NFL teams to Toronto, so that would have been fun.

VinceT

« Reply #319 on: 22 Jan 2024, 03:06 pm »
Lifelong Lions fan here. Tough task ahead on the road in San Fran. But we are enjoying the ride never the less.  No matter what happens I think the Ravens are going to be for anyone to beat rest of the way.