tube amp Ultravalve

ramiroflores

tube amp Ultravalve
« on: 25 Apr 2024, 09:15 am »
Hi everybody

Does anyone know where to buy tube amps Ultravalve ?

Nick B

Re: tube amp Ultravalve
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2024, 03:40 am »
I did a search on HiFi Shark and found this link for an eBay listing

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=van+alstine+ultravalve+amp

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2024, 04:25 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC  :thumb:  Likely your only source will be the used market at this point. Good luck with the hunt, it's a great little amp.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2024, 12:53 pm »

Talk about price gouging

jandrews

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2024, 01:02 pm »
I just bought one on the used market in February for around 1500
It's a fabulous little brute of an amp.  Powering some Flacon ls3/5a's with it for now.
They don't come up often but keep an eye out or set up an alert and one will pop up at some point.

Hydro

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2024, 04:12 pm »
I have a Dynaco 70 that has the latest ultravalve upgrade. A real nice amp with nearly new tubes. I would take $1000 plus shipping. I live in Dallas Tx.

ceylon

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2024, 04:00 am »

thats the guy selling it for double, triple--hes had it on ebay for years. obviously hes not interested in selling. he had it at $3k for years and just upped the price.

here are some sales figures
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=ultravalve

these are not true sales figues, as the final asking price is published but the sale price is not.

check hifi shiark religiously; youll find one.

heiba

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2024, 10:06 am »
I have an Utimate 70 from AVA in daily use, not far behind the Ultravalve in performance I guess…

mick wolfe

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2024, 05:21 pm »
Hi everybody

Does anyone know where to buy tube amps Ultravalve ?

If you simply can't find a used Ultravalve, ( the guy who wants $3500 is simply a non starter at that price  :scratch:) there are many new ST70 build options out there. Too many to list in fact.

avahifi

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2024, 11:49 pm »
We still have the bare mother board and  the build manual available for the Ultravalve version.  Requires an original Dyna ST-70 chassis with good transformers.

Plans free, PC-1104 mother board $50.00.

But wait until you hear our new NP1 amplifier.

Frank
« Last Edit: 20 May 2024, 04:12 pm by avahifi »

Nick B

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2024, 01:44 am »
I've looked at many ST 70 options and a very good one is Bryan Miller at https://milleraudiollc.com/

I've spoken with Bryan and he is open to custom work as to different parts, colors and he has a different chassis available as well. He is retired from a career in aerospace and works with his son Spencer.

jandrews

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2024, 12:10 pm »
What’s the PA1 Amplifier ?

js1955

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2024, 12:45 pm »
What’s the PA1 Amplifier ?

I suspect it's a typo, and he means the new NP1 amp?    :dunno:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=188855.0

ceylon

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jul 2024, 03:19 pm »
We still have the bare mother board and  the build manual available for the Ultravalve version.  Requires an original Dyna ST-70 chassis with good transformers.

Plans free, PC-1104 mother board $50.00.

But wait until you hear our new NP1 amplifier.

Frank

frank, you retired the ultravalve right before a massive boom and feeding frenzy on tube audio.  dont know how busy you want to be, but theres plenty of room for the ultravalve at the $2k price point. u guys keep saying "cant source the trasformers," but nobody else doing comparable work is having that problem. for a guy rooted in tube innovations as you, the current tube world is your oyster, transformers galore and all.

avahifi_lj

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jul 2024, 04:57 pm »
Hello,

The UltraValve used the same transformers as the Dynaco 70.  All the transformers were new construction based on the original Dyanco windings (not old stock transformers), with the power transformer being considerably beefier than the original Dynaco.  When the general part shortage happened our transformer source was not able to source materials needed to manufacturer transformers at a reasonable cost.  Some sources for new Dynaco transformers are again showing stock, but the prices are considerably higher than what we were paying.  In addition, the custom Ultimate 70 stainless steel chassis would also be considerably higher cost. Finally, the tubes used in the amp have also seen a significant increase in cost.  The result is that if we did bring the UtraValve back to the market the price would be much more expensive, likely close to, or more than, double the original cost.

We have looked at creating a new tube amplifier based on available non-Dynaco design transformers, but even that route will result in a tube amp that is significantly more expensive than what the UltraValve was.  It's a shame that we had to discontinue the UltraValve.  Being the person who built the UltraValves, it's one of my favorite AVA amps.

Larry

simon wagstaff

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jul 2024, 12:39 pm »
I had a U70 upgraded Dynaco 70. It was great. I rewired critical spots and put in new tube sockets, upgraded all the binding posts. Then I got the SET120. it was superior in every way. My guess is the new amp is even better. You can't go wrong there.

heiba

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jul 2024, 03:23 pm »
Regarding Ultravalve, have a look at Hifishark, now!
Ola

rcag_ils

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jul 2024, 11:25 pm »
I have the 2 chassis, 2 stock Dyna 70s, the board, but getting all the parts together is too time consuming. The xformers would cost around $1500, if I really wanted to, I could build one. Meanwhile, those parts will just sit, and sit.