setup a PMC TLE1

kas

setup a PMC TLE1
« on: 11 Feb 2006, 08:25 am »
I have a TLE1 sub and I am not getting the best base out of it. My front speakers are FB1s and they're setup as small speakers. the LEVEL is at max. Today I noticed that there's no sound coming out of them despite listening to heavy metal. Please help me with the setup. The sub is connected to the sub input on the receiver by a puresonic interconnect cable.

thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
setup a PMC TLE1
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2006, 01:20 pm »
Hi Kas,

Do you mean NO sound from the TLE or no bass sound from the FB1's?

james

kas

setup a PMC TLE1
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2006, 03:20 pm »
No bass sound from the TLE1.

kas

ec

setup a PMC TLE1
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2006, 03:25 pm »
What receiver or pre/pro do you have?  More specifically is the sub set to On in the prepro / receiver and or your SACD/DVD-A player?  Some pre pros like the Bryston SP 1.7 (by default) do not redirect the Bass to the sub output in pure 2 ch bypass mode.  If I am not mistaken there is a XLR / RCA switch on the TLE-1 to switch which input you want.  Is this on the correct one?  A quick test is to hook either your L or R line level output to the sub to see if you get anything out of it.  I'd also check the obvious ie "is it plugged in".

kas

setup a PMC TLE1
« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2006, 03:56 pm »
I have Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi, however I am using a 9bSST to power the front and centre channels. The receiver is providing power to the rear only. I just performed a speakers test, and the sub is at +3.0db. I am using the RCA connect, and the switch is set to Unbalanced.

kas

James Tanner

• Facilitator
setup a PMC TLE1
« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2006, 04:06 pm »
Hi Kas,

When you say 'speaker test' do you mean the pink noise test from the reciever and your getting a plus 3 reading from the sub? --- so the sub does have some output.

james

kas

setup a PMC TLE1
« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2006, 10:28 pm »
agree! while testing all speakers, you hear the sub when I highlight the option on the menu. I checked the sub level and it was +3.0db.

kas

James Tanner

• Facilitator
setup a PMC TLE1
« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2006, 10:35 pm »
Hi Kas,

Well if the pink noise is working it means your connections appear to be correct.
It has to be a MENU setup problem I think if you are not getting any bass with the fronts set to small.

james

kas

setup a PMC TLE1
« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2006, 08:46 pm »
I checked the sytesm again this morning and here are the data that might help in the diagnostics process:

1) Speakers:
a: FB1s: front and right
b: TB2: center
c: DB1s: surround
d: TLE1: sub

2) performed an automatic setup using the microphone that comes with the Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi receiver and got the following results:

Channel Level Check:

Left +5
Center +3.5
Right +4
Surround Right +2.5
Surround Left +2.5
Sub -1.5

Noticed that speaker setting were set to Large (front, center, and sourround). I changed the settings to small for all speakers. I also changed the channel level on the sub to +3.0. I still can't hear the sub during music play in stereo, or while playing dvds.

sub setting:

input: unbalaned using an RCA connector
roll off: off
Level: max
phase: 0

I don't think that I am missing anything. I also hope that this will provide you with more information and you're in a better position to provide guidance.

Thansks James and everybody for your help so far.

kas

kas

setup a PMC TLE1
« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2006, 09:01 pm »
I checked the sytesm again this morning and here are the data that might help in the diagnostics process:

1) Speakers:
a: FB1s: front and right
b: TB2: center
c: DB1s: surround
d: TLE1: sub

2) performed an automatic setup using the microphone that comes with the Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi receiver and got the following results:

Channel Level Check:

Left +5
Center +3.5
Right +4
Surround Right +2.5
Surround Left +2.5
Sub -1.5

Noticed that speaker setting were set to Large (front, center, and sourround). I changed the settings to small for all speakers. I also changed the channel level on the sub to +3.0. I still can't hear the sub during music play in stereo, or while playing dvds.

sub setting:

input: unbalaned using an RCA connector
roll off: off
Level: max
phase: 0

I don't think that I am missing anything. I also hope that this will provide you with more information and you're in a better position to provide guidance.

Thansks James and everybody for your help so far.

kas

kas

setup a PMC TLE1
« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2006, 08:15 pm »
I reset the receiver to its factory default settings, and reconfigured the system. Listened to Dub Side of The Moon CD, a reggae version of Dark Side of The Moon and all is OK.

Thanks for everyone for their help. James you were right, as always!

kas