Best Internal Speaker Wire for GR Speakers

jrocks29ms@gmail.com

Re: Best Internal Speaker Wire for GR Speakers
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2022, 10:51 pm »
I don't think your wrong in thinking that there will be a bottleneck at the wire. This really is only a factor on the bass or mid-bass drivers, a lot of folks actually prefer smaller wire gauge for the tweeter, as it maintains a better coherency of those high frequencies due to skin factor, and the fact that larger mass makes for bad conductivity for highs. It is sort of the opposite for bass. If you wanted to ensure you're not getting a choke point on the woofer circuit, I'm sure pure solid copper wire in a larger gauge with poly Ethelyne shielding is out there.

Doublej

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2022, 11:06 pm »
You could make double or triple runs of 16 gauge wire.

https://www.wirebarn.com/combined-wire-gauge-calculator_ep_42.html

OSIB16

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2022, 11:10 pm »
Thanks for this feedback.  I am leaning towards Danny's wire as it is great for the price.  My biggest concern is that I'm doing an upgrade to the AV123 LS-6 speakers and will be using 12 awg inductors all around (copper foil).  I may be wrong in my thinking but was thinking using 16 awg wire would make the 12 awg parts useless. 

Is my thinking wrong there?

Robert

I suspect that you may roll off the treble slightly if you use 12AWG inductors. Personally I would tend to use them on a speaker that needs to reign in an ‘exposed sounding tweeter’. Every time I have performed modifications to a 2 way or 3 way speaker, and used wire thicker than 16AWG STRANDED on a woofer, the bass always curtailed.

jbl

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jan 2022, 05:19 am »
I used VHAudio's Chela speaker wire when I rewired my 3.7's to an upgraded external crossover.  It is 48 strands of 24gauge OCC solid core copper wire in a foamed teflon insulation woven into counter helical braid.  Expensive at $44/foot and a major PITA to prep since you have a LOT of unbraiding and twisting to do for prep, BUT definitely worth it.  Improve clarity, detail, smoothness and bass extension.  An excellent upgrade if you have the time money and motivation.  If you decide to try this one of the best tools to get is an automatic wire stripper from Knipex.  Speeds up the wire stripping process immensely.  I know because I used regular strippers and scissors and clippers and anything else I had on hand initially.  Took forever.  Also the Chela wire are rather unwieldy so may be challenging to use for inside the speaker cabinet crossover.  If you go with an external crossover in its own box then much easier.

jbl

jbl

« Reply #24 on: 19 Jan 2022, 06:43 am »
Some additional thoughts on internal wiring.  Using a 48 conductor cable withe 24gauge solid core teflon jacketed OCC wire in a counter helix twist could be construed as overkill, however if you consider that it will reduce EMI, skin effect, reactance, and capacitance of the signal that finally reaches the drivers that is a lot of benefits.  Also, having the counter helix twist will reduce the EMI effects of the inductors that are rather close by that can generate a lot of EMI. 

jbl 

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #25 on: 19 Jan 2022, 05:29 pm »
I would stick with the 16 awg solid core wire. For the price, as well the outcome results.

Theronbo

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jan 2022, 08:01 pm »
Home Depot & Lowes carry ‘Southwire’ brand 14g solid copper 50’ for $18.

Various colors. PVC/ nylon insulation.