You can never have too many tubes in the system...adding the Atma-Sphere MP-1

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Due to the incredible generosity of a fellow AC member, I was given the opportunity to try the Atma-Sphere MP-1 MK 3.1 preamp in my system starting late last week.  The MP-1 will temporarily replace the very good Parasound JC-2 preamp and the remainder of my system stays the same (you can see the gear and a slightly out of date picture here:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=711).

To cut to the chase, the Atma-Sphere MP-1 MK 3.1 preamp is nothing short of spectacular!!  The easiest way to describe the preamp is that it takes the strengths of my system (midrange excellence, wide and deep sound stage, timber, tonality and texture that is spot on, and most importantly, the ability to engage and keep me engaged by letting the music be the star in its entirety) and makes it mo better!!  It does this while improving at the frequency extremes and providing more detail and clarity, while sounding less clinical and mechanical.  In short, with the MP-1 in the system, this is the best music I have heard to date in my room - period!

So what's the down side??? 

Nothing that I can find yet from the music side of the equation.  In fact, I think it can get even better as the MP-1 is currently using the stock 6SN7 tubes.  Luckily, I have a nice selection of 6SN7 tubes (NOS and new releases from Shuguang) that I will try in the coming days.  It is also incredibly well built (I will try and take some pics and post them over the next week) and Atma-Sphere has been around for almost 35 years and provides some of the best customer service in the industry.

But (and this is a big but), this is not an inexpensive piece of gear.   :(  It starts around $12 or 13k for just the line stage without remote volume control.  Add some of the options that improve its sound and phonostage and this preamp pushed north of $20k!  It also uses 18 tubes (8 12AT7's for phono and 10 6SN7's for the linestage) and is a two box design that will take up a good amount of real estate.

For those in the market for a state of the art preamp, this really belongs on your audition list.  I am very happy to have the opportunity to try such an excellent piece of gear and I can assure you that I will be listening to my system as much as possible until it has to go back to its owner.

OBTW, even after removing the 8 12AT7's from the MP-1 (I don't have a use for the phono stage), I now have a total of 51 tubes in my system!! 

George

monsieurguzel

I purchased a used fully loaded Atma-Sphere MP-1 a couple months ago and have a very similar experience to you.  I must say that it really is a spectacular pre-amp and phono stage!  I have mine paired with a pair of Atma-Sphere M60 monoblock and to a set of Zu Superfly speakers (for now)...yes I know it's really an overkill front end for the speakers, but boy is it a revealing and transparent system.  I feel like there is absolutely no veil in the pre-amp / amp combo and really makes you feel like you're in the same room with the singer.

Mine has the phono stage built in but I don't have a balanced TT as or right now...so down the line I'm hoping to upgrade and see how the MP-1 performs on that side.

roscoeiii

George,

Anything additional to report on the Atma Pre?

And monsieurguzel, welcome to AC. I hope to hear more about your thoughts on the Atma set-up you have. Just got a Soul Superfly to audition with my S-30. I am curious how your Atma pre might have compared with other pres that you have tried?

zybar

• Volunteer
George,

Anything additional to report on the Atma Pre?

And monsieurguzel, welcome to AC. I hope to hear more about your thoughts on the Atma set-up you have. Just got a Soul Superfly to audition with my S-30. I am curious how your Atma pre might have compared with other pres that you have tried?

Well, the unit I was borrowing went back to its owner and I the thought of not having it in my system was too much too bear...so I bought a MP-1!

I haven't really been able to do much serious listening due to traveling a lot lately (for both work and pleasure) plus I have sent my amps back to Atma-Sphere to be upgraded from Mk 3 status to Mk 3.1.

I'll try and post some more on this topic in the coming weeks.

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
I'll try and post some more on this topic in the coming weeks.

George

Don't forget pics.   :D

sts9fan

Selling the JC2?

zybar

• Volunteer
Selling the JC2?

Yes.

It will get listed today...interested?

George

zybar

• Volunteer
Don't forget pics.   :D

Here's a picture of the inside of the MP-1 I borrowed from my buddy (which has the phonostage and all options).  I removed the (8) 12AT7 tubes used in the phonostage in order to reduce heat and electricity costs.

George

werd

Nice pre!!

did you get the remote volume on it?

zybar

• Volunteer
Nice pre!!

did you get the remote volume on it?

Yes, I went with the remote option.

Also, my unit will have the Copper Foil V-Caps (http://www.v-cap.com/copper-teflon-capacitors.php) instead of the Teflon ones seen in the picture above.  I am also having the Copper Foil V-Caps installed in my MA-1 amps as part of their upgrade from MK 3 to MK 3.1 status.  Thanks to jtwrace for nudging me in that direction.

George

roscoeiii

Yeah the remote option really caught my attention. Looks like it is only an option on the MP-1 at present, and haven't seen anything about its implementation. The dog-on-lap factor has always made a remote a must-have for me...

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Yeah the remote option really caught my attention. Looks like it is only an option on the MP-1 at present, and haven't seen anything about its implementation. The dog-on-lap factor has always made a remote a must-have for me...

FYI-the MP-3 remote option is in the works.  From Ralph at stock MP-1 is still better then a fully optioned MP-3.  Why?  It's all in the power supply topology that is patented.  Yes, a very advanced PS.   :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Thanks to jtwrace for nudging me in that direction.

George

I'm really good at spending others money.  I'm not so bad at spending mine either.   :lol:

I think it was a good decision for the reasons mentioned....

Jon L

Also, my unit will have the Copper Foil V-Caps (http://www.v-cap.com/copper-teflon-capacitors.php) instead of the Teflon ones seen in the picture above.  I am also having the Copper Foil V-Caps installed in my MA-1 amps as part of their upgrade from MK 3 to MK 3.1 status.  Thanks to jtwrace for nudging me in that direction.

George

Those VCap CuTF caps certainly will be nice.  Just curious myself how much of the same-brand preamp-amp synergy is at work here.  Have you tried some of the other top-notch tube preamps with your amp?

roscoeiii

Oh boy. Remote on the MP-3 all of a sudden makes it close to being a contender in my price range. Uh oh.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Oh boy. Remote on the MP-3 all of a sudden makes it close to being a contender in my price range. Uh oh.

It's a comin'....

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Have you tried some of the other top-notch tube preamps with your amp?

Such as?

werd

George

The pic you posted what volume control does that one have?

zybar

• Volunteer
The pic you posted what volume control does that one have?

Remote

kernelbob

Do the AtmaSphere preamps have an absolute phase toggle control, either on the preamp or via remote?  I find this indispensable in my system.  Thanks