What makes you purchase an amp you can't audition?

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
Re: What makes you purchase an amp you can't audition?
« Reply #20 on: 5 Dec 2010, 03:03 pm »
I've never bought an amplifier that I couldn't audition, and I'd never expect my readers to either... 

Hi Tonepub,

Even if you live in a major metropolitan area, the dealers are not carrying complete lines. Unless, you've been a proven customer, the dealer is not going to special order product in for the customer to demo.

For example, I have a Totem dealer in my home town. However he does not bring in the Winds since he has difficulty moving them in this particular market. I had to go downstate to audition them, taking advantage of a personal trip that had already been planned. It still resulted in a 60 mile (each way) diversion for me.

For those of us in non-major metros, getting to a product is insanely involving. If I had the time and cash on hand, yes, it would be fun vacationing in Toronto or Montreal or NYC or Boston to get in on a series of auditions.

Then you have to take an incredible leap of faith from the dealers room, system setup, cabling, tweaks, room treatments etc. etc. to attempt a correlation to your own room and system. And of course, this model is limited to the brands using retail distribution, which only covers a small 'n' in our hobby and is shrinking.

I've auditioned Ayre and Esoteric in Boston and the results were not satisfying. Same with Focal and B&W. Had I purchased this gear direct and spent the time with it, within my own contexts, I probably would appreciate these brands more.

Have I had positive audition experiences? Yes. The Totem Winds and BAT gear I purchased, btw, from the dealer I auditioned them at. Kef's latest 207 flagship. Verity speakers. Gryphon amplifiers. But the list is very short.

Then there are the shows. The only concrete take away I have based on personal experience, all the variables involved, and especially on attendee feedback, write-ups, and discourse on the forums is that there is no concrete take away. Fun, yes. Highest value for me is meeting the business owners and designers in person.

I, like Gopher, am willing to trust reviewers like you, and others whose opinion we value and which falls in line with our take on systems and music.

- David.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #21 on: 5 Dec 2010, 04:32 pm »
  First off the tubes used. next synergy with my speakers. read a review to get a general idea of the character.
  The most important thing to me is customer service. The origin of the amp and support of such.  I would only purchase a foreign made piece now only if the distributor carried replacement parts in stock. Approved service reps close by.  Bryston, Classe, Audio Research are my customer service champs. IMO all gear should have a lifetime transferable warranty. Companies that stand behind their product makes my final decision.

charles

schw06

« Reply #22 on: 5 Dec 2010, 04:45 pm »
Although reviews were number 10 on my list, it seems most people responded that user/professional reviews are very high on their list. Although I read and enjoy professional reviews (especially Jeff Dorgay's), I find I need to take them with a grain of salt. No reviewer ever has the identical equipment list I have so I don't feel like that review pertains to the synergy/interaction of my associated equipment. Also, two other important factors are generally missing from reviews:
1. Listening room- no 2 rooms are the same and I wonder how well these reviewers' rooms are acoustically treated. How damped/lively a room is is really important in my opinion and you often have no idea what the reviewers' listening environment is like. Also, a room that is a perfect fit for a pair of monster Soundlab electrostats is unlikely to be the ideal room for a pair of mini monitors.
2. Preference of sound- more specifically, what is the quantitative assessment of the reviewers preference of the type of sound they prefer. The sonicflare website made a nice graph that attempts to make a subjective experience more objective (http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/sonicflares-sonic-circle.php). To me, it is important to figure out where your own listening preferences are on that chart and find reviewers with similar preferences, associated equipment, and room characteristics.
   Regarding home auditions from manufacturers or a 30 day return policy, I believe that is a great gesture and potentially a good way to get determine if that piece of equipment is the right fit for you. However, if the dealer's policy is that you purchase the item new and have the ability to return in 30 days, you are forced to try to get more than 200 hours on the equipment to account for burn in during that short trial period leaving the true trial period to be only a fraction of that 30 days.

Pez

« Reply #23 on: 5 Dec 2010, 05:00 pm »
I base all my purchases off of the recommendations of that Pez guy on Audiocircle. His suggestions have steered me to audio nirvana.  Of course he made me build some amplifiers even though I had never done it before, but I gotta say it was the best suggestion anyone has given me. :wtf: I'm insane and an ego maniac.  :green:

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #24 on: 5 Dec 2010, 05:17 pm »
Hi Schw06,

Great points and well said and put. Thanks for getting this tread going.

Your points about room, system, treatment etc. hold whether they are from a reviewer, other user, or dealer showroom.

I've found, over time, alignment with some reviewers and fellow audiophiles over others.

It is a slow process but one I state is a deliberate one. I have seen a 'convergence' (for lack of a better word) where there is decent (significant for me) overlay on the performance/personality points on both sides of the positive/negative equation, that a reviewer or user makes and expresses regarding the gear being reviewed and my own experience, within my own system/room context.

Once I get a feel for a pattern, it is easier to trust and follow through with a non-auditioned buy, based on what the reviewer or user has communicated.

Case in point, yesterday, regarding preamp tubes - just followed through on one of  Pez's recommendations since it was backed up by Tyson (whose experience I find a consistent and general overlap with). I also find an overlap with the perspectives of Srajan Ebaen of 6moons and Jack Roberts of Dagogo, among others.

I am sure, if I devoted the appropriate time and energy, I would find a similar convergence with dealers. This convergence is easy to see here on AC based on the circles and users strong preferences for a particular brand.

BTW, this post was written before Pez's self-aggrandizing  :D Though it appears he doesn't require the assist.

- David.

Pez

« Reply #25 on: 5 Dec 2010, 06:24 pm »
Thanks David. ;) I of course was kidding, but in a sense I really wasn't. For me it's all about educating ones self in order to truly put together a good system and know what it is that makes an individual component good. As has already been said knowing certain things, like what you like, are key.

A tube amp isn't just a tube amp as some solid state guys tend to compress them into the same category. There are OTL, Push pull, single ended triode, ultra linear, etc etc etc and each of these will have different sonic signatures, power capabilities and so forth. Just because you like, say, the SET sound doesn't mean you can put one in your system and expect great results. Also one SET amp may be superior to another for several reasons. Iron, topology, tube compliment power supply all these things are key in insuring an amp will be of high quality. When looking at a component make sure you know what's going into it!

Steve

« Reply #26 on: 6 Dec 2010, 06:12 pm »
Thanks David. ;) I of course was kidding, but in a sense I really wasn't. For me it's all about educating ones self in order to truly put together a good system and know what it is that makes an individual component good. As has already been said knowing certain things, like what you like, are key.

A tube amp isn't just a tube amp as some solid state guys tend to compress them into the same category. There are OTL, Push pull, single ended triode, ultra linear, etc etc etc and each of these will have different sonic signatures, power capabilities and so forth. Just because you like, say, the SET sound doesn't mean you can put one in your system and expect great results. Also one SET amp may be superior to another for several reasons. Iron, topology, tube compliment power supply all these things are key in insuring an amp will be of high quality. When looking at a component make sure you know what's going into it!

I agree with Pez. Yes, sonic differences occur with different circuit designs, tubes/SS, power supply designs, parts used etc.

For instance, with a given tube/SS part the "sound" can be manipulated from "in your face" to "layed back" (if that is the opposite term to use) simply by changing what parts are used, their values etc.

So, imo, it is imperative to audition a component in one's home.

Cheers.

BobM

« Reply #27 on: 6 Dec 2010, 07:34 pm »
From a used equipment standpoint it would be the reputation and reviews of the product, coupled with the price point so I can easily resell it without loss if it doesn't work out for me.

From a new equipment standpoint I doubt that I would take the chance without being able to hear it first, at a friends or in a showroom would be OK, but in my system would be best.