Hybrid amps rather than tube amps?

schw06

Re: Hybrid amps rather than tube amps?
« Reply #20 on: 30 Nov 2010, 11:41 pm »
While hosting the Zu party we had a limited selection of amps including my 2a3 push pull, a 2a3 SET, a Pass 30.5 and the Peachtree audio nova. The show was really geared to the essence and prototype of the Superfly. The Definitions are on another level and are worthy of top notch amps which weren't in abundance for the event.
   I appreciate the advice on the Butler amp. I will check it out. Like a lot of people, I tolerate tubes because I can't find a solid state amp that makes me want to sit down and listen. I do love the simplicity of solid state and get frustrated with replacing tubes, figuring out which tubes are worth buying (NOS vs new), biasing the amps etc but it's the price I have to pay (so far) for satisfying sound... I honestly do not care about topology of SS or tube and truly wish there was a marriage of the 2 topologies that would make the uberamp.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 30 Nov 2010, 11:50 pm »
With the Butler amp....you don't swap tubes.

http://www.butleraudio.com/tdb2250.php

Quiet Earth

« Reply #22 on: 1 Dec 2010, 01:09 am »
Tube amps don't do bass as well as solid state. Ever.

I think this is a common mistake that comes from falling in love with a speaker first and then trying to find an amp for it later.  Audition the amplifier and speaker together, and save yourself the trouble of living with this audio myth.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #23 on: 1 Dec 2010, 01:30 am »
Like a lot of people, I tolerate tubes because I can't find a solid state amp that makes me want to sit down and listen. I do love the simplicity of solid state and get frustrated with replacing tubes, figuring out which tubes are worth buying (NOS vs new), biasing the amps etc but it's the price I have to pay (so far) for satisfying sound... I honestly do not care about topology of SS or tube and truly wish there was a marriage of the 2 topologies that would make the uberamp.

Ditto for me on the above.

I haven't tried hybrid amps....the closest approximation to 'ideal' I have found are strict voltage regulated, true dual mono tube amp (or, amps) and use speakers with relatively benign loads. 

I am regularly smitten with 6V6 tubes and single-ended, but they don't output a lot if you need watts.  But, if you don't this Mini Torii from Decware is probably da' bomb for $1495.00: http://www.decware.com/newsite/minitoriise.htm

The larger unit outputs a lot more, but is push-pull and uses less tuneful EL34 tubes and is $1000.00 more: http://www.decware.com/newsite/TORII.htm

Oh, and they're self-biasing so no worries about that  :thumb:

I'm very tempted on the Mini Torii myself...I just need suitable 94db+ speakers to use it with  :|

John

Bigfish

« Reply #24 on: 1 Dec 2010, 02:34 am »
Chris,
   Thanks for the Moscode advice. I've heard those amps are not fans of impedance dips below 8 ohms and the Defs are 6 ohm so I have been reluctant.
David
P.S.- Still listening to all the cd's you sent me...thanks again

I own a Moscode 402AU and it drives my 4 ohm speakers with no problems.  The manufacturer claims it delivers 300 watts per channel into 4 ohm loads.  The Moscode has a tube input instead of a tube output stage.  It is simply amazing how this amp responds to tube rolling!

Ken

Mariusz

« Reply #25 on: 1 Dec 2010, 05:06 am »
schw06

Not sure if this question was asked already (my apologies if it was) but do you have budget that you're comfortable with for this venture?

My advice would be - try before you buy.
Call or email Srajan of 6moons, Vinnie from RWA (new hybrid amps should sound really nice with Zu) or Seth from Virtue - his monoblocks with Dodd Audio buffered input stage should also sound promising with Zu. Take advantage of in home trial.

P.S
If you want to test your Zus ........ Actually, not Zus but your amp, play cut from Olive named "Trickle" (album - Indulge Me). If your amps start choking at the beginning of the track (between 15-25 second) at moderate levels,....say 75-80 db, you will hear it through your speakers quite clearly.  My SEP 300b monos sound great with Omens but...... that track will kill most SET pairing with Zu speakers. I would go as far as to say that 40wpc might not be enough to provide enough headroom.
Butler amp with something lusher, goosebumpy like Supratek would be interesting combo.
I am only speculating on this combo on my brief experience with Butler. I did owned Supratek preamp and can assure you of its musical qualities.

Just my 2c

some young guy

« Reply #26 on: 1 Dec 2010, 05:26 am »
I've had a couple Jolidas, a Dynaco ST-70 and fully hot rodded Golden Tube SE-40 along with a couple tubed preamps that I liked very much... until I heard this:

This is the APL UA-S1 and it's one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard. I don't see myself going back... except for fun. I do miss tinckering.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #27 on: 1 Dec 2010, 05:45 am »
I've had a couple Jolidas, a Dynaco ST-70 and fully hot rodded Golden Tube SE-40 along with a couple tubed preamps that I liked very much... until I heard this:

This is the APL UA-S1 and it's one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard. I don't see myself going back... except for fun. I do miss tinckering.

I just got done reading the 2008 6Moon review of Alex's amp. Quite the priceatag but damn if I wouldn't love to sample that baby for myself.  :drool: 

Congrates.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

benie

« Reply #28 on: 1 Dec 2010, 12:19 pm »
Want a Hybrid and great tube sound.
Want the sound of a 300B tube and a S/S output.

Take a look at Space Tech Labs 300B Hybrid!!
It is SWEEEeet amp, it's 4:am, gota ZZZZzzzzzzzz

http://www.space-tech-lab.com/HybridAmpPage.html

some young guy

« Reply #29 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:33 pm »

I just got done reading the 2008 6Moon review of Alex's amp. Quite the priceatag but damn if I wouldn't love to sample that baby for myself.  :drool: 

Congrates.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Well, let me know if you find yourself in the SF Bay Area.  :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #30 on: 1 Dec 2010, 03:43 pm »
I own a Moscode 402AU and it drives my 4 ohm speakers with no problems.  The manufacturer claims it delivers 300 watts per channel into 4 ohm loads.  The Moscode has a tube input instead of a tube output stage.  It is simply amazing how this amp responds to tube rolling!

Ken

I have an old Moscode 300, and it drives my 4 ohm Maggie 1.6s with no effort.  I have a SS amp driving separate subs, and I like it LOUD in a 22x26x10 room.  25 years ago I was auditioning many amps and the dealer offered to loan me the Moscode for a trial.  I laughed at tubes but tried it anyway.  After maybe 20 seconds of playing music I knew well, I called him and bought it.

KJ

« Reply #31 on: 1 Dec 2010, 05:14 pm »
The one capability I "miss" from my hybrid (Moscode 401HR) is the relative accessibility of decent power while having the ability to roll tubes.

That said, I enjoy my tube amp enough to consider obtaining the additional power with dual mono-blocks instead of putting the Moscode back in.

raindance

« Reply #32 on: 2 Dec 2010, 12:27 pm »

I think this is a common mistake that comes from falling in love with a speaker first and then trying to find an amp for it later.  Audition the amplifier and speaker together, and save yourself the trouble of living with this audio myth.

This is not a myth. Tube amps have poor damping factor compared to solid state. You can achieve good synergy by auditioning the right combination, but how many people even have a high end store in their area where they can audition stuff any more?

I am a huge tube amp fan, and I actually design/redesign/modify amps as a hobby, and the fact is that no transformer, especially one running close to saturation due to DC on its primary, can do bass frequencies well and with low distortion into a complex load. This becomes more obvious with the trend toward low feedback designs where the non-linearities of the transformer NEED feedback to compensate.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #33 on: 2 Dec 2010, 02:39 pm »

Patient : "Doctor, it hurts when I lift both of my legs over my head."
Doctor : "Then don't put both of your legs over your head".

no transformer, especially one running close to saturation due to DC on its primary, can do bass frequencies well and with low distortion into a complex load.

You can achieve good synergy by auditioning the right combination

Thanks Doc!  :D

Steve

« Reply #34 on: 2 Dec 2010, 11:04 pm »
I agree with both, match both amp to speaker rather than simply purchasing a speaker and hoping to find an amp that matches.

If a speaker is designed for it, a tube amplifier can offer quite excellent bass as well as unblieveable mids-hi. Simply purchasing a speaker and later attempting to find the right amplifier is a game of chance imo.

Cheers.