Brown note?

Oh boy. Who wants to tackle this?  :thumb:  :icon_lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: What could this be?
« Reply #22 on: 9 Sep 2013, 04:48 pm »
From Wiki:

The brown note is a hypothetical infrasonic frequency that would cause humans to lose control of their bowels due to resonance. Attempts to demonstrate the existence of a "brown note" using sound waves transmitted through air have failed.

The name is a metonym for the color of human feces. Frequencies supposedly involved are between 5 and 9 Hz, which is below 20 Hz, the lower frequency limit of human hearing. High power sound waves below 20 Hz are felt in the body, not heard by the ear as sound

I thought maybe Ryan was going for an attempt at being the first to be successful at the hypothetical frequency.

JohnR

« Reply #23 on: 10 Sep 2013, 08:43 am »
This will be the bass section, on top will be a Cirrus shaped cabinet housing the RAAL 140-15D tweeter and Accuton C173 Neo midrange.  It'll be making it's debut at RMAF.
(Back on topic.....)

Cool  :thumb: Is that a risk i.e. new/just-built speaker at a major show? Just curious on the trade-offs for manufs such as yourself.

Pete Schumacher

• Industry Participant
  • It's all in the pursuit
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #24 on: 10 Sep 2013, 09:43 pm »
(Back on topic.....)

Cool  :thumb: Is that a risk i.e. new/just-built speaker at a major show? Just curious on the trade-offs for manufs such as yourself.

We did that at Newport Beach with the debut of Nimbus.  Steve Nugent had some nice things to say about how that turned out.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?11187-Vapor-Audio-the-best-value-in-audio&highlight=vapor+audio

standub

« Reply #25 on: 11 Sep 2013, 03:14 am »
As if I wasn't already ready for RMAF to be here......thanks Ryan. :P

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #26 on: 11 Sep 2013, 04:02 am »
As if I wasn't already ready for RMAF to be here......thanks Ryan. :P

Make sure we hook up for a beer or three this year!

standub

« Reply #27 on: 13 Sep 2013, 11:11 pm »
Make sure we hook up for a beer or three this year!

I'll bring some, as long as we here in Colorado can make some still, I think Left Hand, one of the best beers in CO is currently flooded.  They are right on the banks of this river(well as midwesterns would call it, a creek).  About 3 blocks from where this is shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HShXhJMQdA

Edit: And sadly I was right: https://twitter.com/NiwotCO/status/378613064163028992/photo/1

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #28 on: 26 Sep 2013, 04:21 pm »
This might help it make more sense, this is one 'bass bin' cabinet ... the two halves go together.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #29 on: 26 Sep 2013, 04:35 pm »
Insanity!  :o
When things are all said and done, I'd love to hear what these heavyweights tip the scales at.

roscoeiii

« Reply #30 on: 26 Sep 2013, 04:51 pm »
Looks a good deal deeper and wider than the Cirrus. Got any pics of what will top that beauty?

JakeJ

« Reply #31 on: 26 Sep 2013, 04:55 pm »
You posted that you are debuting these at RMAF 2013?  Looks like a lot of work left to do in just over a couple of weeks. :o  Best of luck!

I'm guessing the cabinets alone will weigh in at somewhere around 100 pounds each.  What is the projected 3 dB down point?

jhm731

« Reply #32 on: 26 Sep 2013, 05:21 pm »
We did that at Newport Beach with the debut of Nimbus.  Steve Nugent had some nice things to say about how that turned out.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?11187-Vapor-Audio-the-best-value-in-audio&highlight=vapor+audio

How many pairs of Nimbus have you sold since the show?

bummrush

« Reply #33 on: 26 Sep 2013, 05:35 pm »
Nice. Anybody a fan of Clements t line speakers?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #34 on: 26 Sep 2013, 06:26 pm »
Nice. Anybody a fan of Clements t line speakers?
Yes, I am, but only of the t-line part. I think they were one of the 2 best transmission lines I've heard - the other being the bass unit of the Fried Model H.

In 1992, based on my advice, my father bought a pair of Clements RT-7s from a retailer I worked for at the time, but as much as I liked the range covered by the bass driver and t-line I was never convinced by the rest of the range - from about 300Hz and up and regretted suggesting the speaker to him. I think Clements was trying to get too much out of that 7" ribbon and it just didn't cut it. On piano, one of the much cheaper and less exotic Clements (I can't remember the model number) - which had an 8" bass driver and a 1" dome tweeter in what looked like a simple box which was shallow in depth but quite wide - sounded unusually good. From this I assumed that the larger and much more expensive RT-7 which we didn't have in stock would be marvelous. Wrong.

harley52

« Reply #35 on: 26 Sep 2013, 10:43 pm »
None of Philip Clements speakers in the classic line had a t-line. He coined it as a compression line, which happened to use parts of a ported, t-line and  third type of bass loading. I read some of his patent papers and by the time I got to the 3rd or 4th page I was becoming lost. He's sure  a whole lot smarter than I.

I have a pr. of the Lil' Wood and the RT 7's and find the ribbon in both the finest hi end reproducer I've heard except for my Stages. Reading your post is the first time I have read/heard someone wasn't very thrilled with the ribbon. :D :D

Philip wasn't the best of a business man. As the merry go round of brand ownership went to 2 or 3 larger companies. Thus you can't get more than 15%-20% of retail today or ten years ago. Bury them with me, the Stages and my newest baby a Vaporsound speaker also. :D

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #36 on: 26 Sep 2013, 11:12 pm »
None of Philip Clements speakers in the classic line had a t-line. He coined it as a compression line, which happened to use parts of a ported, t-line and  third type of bass loading. I read some of his patent papers and by the time I got to the 3rd or 4th page I was becoming lost. He's sure  a whole lot smarter than I.

I have a pr. of the Lil' Wood and the RT 7's and find the ribbon in both the finest hi end reproducer I've heard except for my Stages. Reading your post is the first time I have read/heard someone wasn't very thrilled with the ribbon. :D :D

Well with regard to Phillip's intentions in this t-line or H-PAS (which I remember as a modified t-line with a tuned chamber, the function of which escapes me, but I think it was to absorb some undesirable resonance), see post #2 here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?226206-For-those-who-were-at-MWAF-Phil-Clements-H-PAS

I see the crossover frequency to the ribbon was around 1600 Hz, so maybe what I was not impressed with was the performance of the bass driver at the top of its pass band, but something was wrong in the most important part of the range - somewhere between, I guess, 200 and 2000 Hz. It's been a while, but that's how I remember it. I also remember the Reference 3A MM de Capo speakers being wrong in a similar way, and they had a woven Kevlar bass driver direct coupled to the amp - phenomenal bass for the enclosure size, but something very wrong in the mids - probably cone breakup in both cases, in retrospect. You really can't expect any 8" bass/mid driver I know of to behave nicely at frequencies over around 1500 Hz - so, if you are running crossover-less or with a 6dB/octave slope - watch out!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #37 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:38 pm »
You really can't expect any 8" bass/mid driver I know of to behave nicely at frequencies over around 1500 Hz - so, if you are running crossover-less or with a 6dB/octave slope - watch out!

The custom AudioTech 8" C-Quenze woofers we use are flat to 10khz with no distortion peaks anywhere along the way, just incredibly well behaved.  You could do anything you want with that woofer.

roscoeiii

« Reply #38 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:53 pm »
The custom AudioTech 8" C-Quenze woofers we use are flat to 10khz with no distortion peaks anywhere along the way, just incredibly well behaved.  You could do anything you want with that woofer.

:o :o :o

Any pics of the top bit?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #39 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:57 pm »
:o :o :o

Any pics of the top bit?

Patience young one  :lol:

This cabinet is getting the 10" Sandwich cone btw, not the 8" C-Quenze.  Just sayin, the 8" AT woofer is amazingly well behaved.